NY Giants "new" Away jerseys

Joshawaggie

As i'm sure will be no suprise to anyone.....

...I FU*KIN' LOVE 'EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new jerseys are exact replicas of those worn by the 1956 NFL Champion Giants. In addition to the large red numerals, the sleeves will include a thick red stripe bordered by two thinner red stripes. It is known as a Northwestern stripe pattern, because the football team at Northwestern is believed to be the first to use it. The Giants wore those jerseys from the mid-1950s through 1963.

My Jints are gonna look great this year as they stomp over the Eagles......

I'm gonna try my best to be polite here, so I'll say that your Eagles stomping days are at least 2-3 years down the road.

Hes being nice by saying its only 2-3 yrs ^_^

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a certain nice symmetry to this: these are the uniforms Frank Gifford was wearing when he got knocked cold by Chuck Bednarik in 1960.

(PSSSSSSSSSST! Eli! DUCK!!) :Oo:

2-3 years? Very polite call.

E-A-G-L-E-S- EAGLES!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You guys are obviously all too young to remember the NFL of the late '50s-early 60s. These uniforms were the ones I remember watching, albeit on a black-and-white TV. So they don't have any blue. Big deal. Any of you ever see the highloght film of the '63 title game versus da Bears? These are the unis a bleeding and bent Y.A. Tittle wore that day. They are much classier than the two-color number jerseys of the '70s and '80s. Those were hidious.

Growing up near Rochester in the '50s and early '60s you had two choices for Sunday afternoon football. The Giants or the Browns. I'm a Browns fan, so naturally I hate the freakin' Giants. I also hate Chris Schenkel who did play-by-play for them, he was more of a "homer" than Phil Rizzuto and John Sterling combined.

Having said all that I LOVE these new uniforms. They are EXACTLY what the football Jints wore when I really hated them. And the jerseys with the plain red numerals and the Northwestern stripes- classically amazing! The pant stripes are even correct. Somedody should get big props for doing their homework on these.

Wish my Brownies would take a clue from the Giants and do their uniforms correctly.

:notworthy:

I am actually fine with the being no blue on the jersey. I kinda see it as something unique that the Giants would have. Unfortunately, they took it too far. There should NOT be stripes on the sleeves of those jerseys. They should be mirror images of the blue jerseys.

Same goes for the pants. I am fine wit gray pants. 2 sets of gray pants is a big no-no.

If they didn't have sleeve stripes and used the same pants as the blue jerseys, I would give these uniforms a B+. Since this isn't the case, I see them as a C at best.

I give props for their correctness and a true ode to the past,

but in this day and age is it really necesary? When I worked on

the Giants redesign at Nike we toyed with the idea

of doing that jersey but we realized that no blue at all

just didn't look right. It may have been fine for the 50's

but not 2000. That's why we added the blue outline on

the red numbers and a blue collar. It was a tribute to

the past while still being good looking.

All the criticism is pointless if they're paying homage to past glory. But is this a permanent change then?

Here's a period shot of the uni's back then. Note how much darker the blue is on the helmet compared to the current version.

si6_3_20.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

You guys are obviously all too young to remember the NFL of the late '50s-early 60s. These uniforms were the ones I remember watching, albeit on a black-and-white TV. So they don't have any blue. Big deal. Any of you ever see the highloght film of the '63 title game versus da Bears? These are the unis a bleeding and bent Y.A. Tittle wore that day. They are much classier than the two-color number jerseys of the '70s and '80s. Those were hidious.

Growing up near Rochester in the '50s and early '60s you had two choices for Sunday afternoon football. The Giants or the Browns. I'm a Browns fan, so naturally I hate the freakin' Giants. I also hate Chris Schenkel who did play-by-play for them, he was more of a "homer" than Phil Rizzuto and John Sterling combined.

Having said all that I LOVE these new uniforms. They are EXACTLY what the football Jints wore when I really hated them. And the jerseys with the plain red numerals and the Northwestern stripes- classically amazing! The pant stripes are even correct. Somedody should get big props for doing their homework on these.

Wish my Brownies would take a clue from the Giants and do their uniforms correctly.

:notworthy:

No problems here with them going back to a past style if that's what they choose (I wouldn't have chosen it, but that's their perogative), but make the home / away consistant. Two grey pants? Pick one. Stripes? Add them to the blues. Did they have two completely different pants styles back then? If so, then that was poor and should be corrected. Speaking of stripes, it would mean tampering with the past style, but the NW stripes should be changed to match the pants stripes.

And before anyone claims I'm hating on the Giants, I also hate how the Vikings jerseys are totally different, how the Browns have different white pants, and how the 96 Eagles had stripes on their white jerseys and the logo on their greens.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow. I didn't know that Ohio State was an NFL team. Those are really bad. It's no wonder that Reebok's team division went under.

They didn't go under. They just drastically cut back on all the college teams they supply unis for. Boston College, Hawaii, and Middle Tennessee State are some teams that I know of that use Reebok unis.

I'm a certified throwback lover, and even I don't like these. They are indeed plain and ill-fitting given their current home jersey. No blue is a little lame, too, as so many have noted.

Also, black shoes don't look good on modern jerseys.

forumbanner-bno.jpg

02A4991FC0934933AB822AF676542E4B.jpg

Does Mr. Strahan realize someone's trying to boot a soccer ball up his tuchas? Don't these photographers consider everything that's going to be in their shots before shooting? And where's the website editor to crop the poorly positioned shot?

As for the uniforms, I think they'd look a hell of a lot better if jerseys weren't spray painted on the players. Any type of sleeve striping looks ridiculous in this era of microsleeves and spandex.

Were the jerseys still the loose fitting kind that apparently died out sometime in the late 80's, early 90's I'd probably like these uniforms a lot better, but since the concept is going to be grafted onto what essentially amount to bodysuits, I can't say it's a good fit.

02A4991FC0934933AB822AF676542E4B.jpg

Does Mr. Strahan realize someone's trying to boot a soccer ball up his tuchas? Don't these photographers consider everything that's going to be in their shots before shooting? And where's the website editor to crop the poorly positioned shot?

As for the uniforms, I think they'd look a hell of a lot better if jerseys weren't spray painted on the players. Any type of sleeve striping looks ridiculous in this era of microsleeves and spandex.

Were the jerseys still the loose fitting kind that apparently died out sometime in the late 80's, early 90's I'd probably like these uniforms a lot better, but since the concept is going to be grafted onto what essentially amount to bodysuits, I can't say it's a good fit.

HAHAHAHA Good eye YH!!! I didn't even notice that till u pointed it out! THat's hysterical lol

my 2 cents on these new "old" jerseys - I think this jersey is a rare example of something that would look good wearing jeans and some sneakers, rather than on the football field. Hell, when they sell the these in replica form, I'm gonna buy one for just that reason B)

Archived