NY Giants "new" Away jerseys

Joshawaggie

The New Jersey Giants (and I do stress NEW JERSEY) once again came up short on these uniforms. They need to completly ditch this retro look becasue it's not woring for them at all. What they wore in the 50s and 60s looks pretty weak to begin with. The only thing I would keep is the NY logo, but that is even wrong seeing how they pretty much belong to NJ now. The Giants should just scrap this look and go with something modern, something like the Mets would do. Mix in a little black. Throw on some fancy new numbers and stripes. Anything would be better than their awful retro look. :puke:

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The New Jersey Giants (and I do stress NEW JERSEY) once again came up short on these uniforms. They need to completly ditch this retro look becasue it's not woring for them at all. What they wore in the 50s and 60s looks pretty weak to begin with. The only thing I would keep is the NY logo, but that is even wrong seeing how they pretty much belong to NJ now. The Giants should just scrap this look and go with something modern, something like the Mets would do. Mix in a little black. Throw on some fancy new numbers and stripes. Anything would be better than their awful retro look. :puke:

DirtyCurty,

I find it interesting that the one thing that would bother you more than anything is the fact that the Giants still have "ny" on their helmets since the play in Jersey, yet your signature is a few Jets graphics, who have "NY" on their helmet and play their home games in Jersey.....

The fact that the Giants didn't come up with these as a new idea means I'll give them a pass. Since they are identical replicas to an earlier era I guess they should be applauded for being accurate. How many times have people on this board ripped teams for "messing up" the authenticity of a throwback jersey? Hopefully after this 50th anniversary celebration of that championship they will dispense with this jersey and create a new one which blends old and new.

DirtyCurty,

I find it interesting that the one thing that would bother you more than anything is the fact that the Giants still have "ny" on their helmets since the play in Jersey, yet your signature is a few Jets graphics, who have "NY" on their helmet and play their home games in Jersey.....

The fact that the Giants didn't come up with these as a new idea means I'll give them a pass. Since they are identical replicas to an earlier era I guess they should be applauded for being accurate. How many times have people on this board ripped teams for "messing up" the authenticity of a throwback jersey? Hopefully after this 50th anniversary celebration of that championship they will dispense with this jersey and create a new one which blends old and new.

1) I would never have refered to the Giants as the "New Jersey Giants" if the Jets weren't getting the hell out of Giants Stadium in a few years. Jersey can keep the Giants for all i care.

2) Let's hope this is just a one season thing before they get their hands on the home unis and mess those up too.

Since it seems to me that you're a Giants fan, I hope you like them since I guess it's really your opinion that matters most.

6uXNWAo.png

Since it seems to me that you're a Giants fan, I hope you like them since I guess it's really your opinion that matters most.

Definately not a Giants fan. :evil:

Do the words "Wide Right" and SB25 ring a bell?

I just found it interesting that a Jets fan would knock a team who plays their home games in the same stadium as the Jets about that team playing their home games in that stadium. There's plenty of other things about the Giants you can pick on that wouldn't come off as hypocritcal.

Definately not a Giants fan. :evil:

Do the words "Wide Right" and SB25 ring a bell?

I just found it interesting that a Jets fan would knock a team who plays their home games in the same stadium as the Jets about that team playing their home games in that stadium. There's plenty of other things about the Giants you can pick on that wouldn't come off as hypocritcal.

Oh, it's normal to have Jets fan hating the Giants. It's like AC Milan and Inter. They play in the same stadium and they absolutely hate each other.

I saw, I came, I left.

The New Jersey Giants (and I do stress NEW JERSEY) once again came up short on these uniforms. They need to completly ditch this retro look becasue it's not woring for them at all. What they wore in the 50s and 60s looks pretty weak to begin with........... The Giants should just scrap this look and go with something modern, something like the Mets would do. Mix in a little black. Throw on some fancy new numbers and stripes. Anything would be better than their awful retro look. :puke:

comming from a jets fan? remember your team is just as guilty as the jets when it comes to the retro craze. the jets ditched a beutiful logo for a throwback logo that dosnt have anything to do with a jet. the logo from the 60's-1997 would work wonderfully with a modernized version of their current unis, but as it stands now the jets logo and uni set are just as bland as the giants.

While I get that they are copying the 1956 look, my problem with these jerseys is the same as with many old school or retro jerseys---NFL players don't have sleeves any more. To try to imitate the old designs when everyone wore sleeves makes for horrible looking jerseys. Stripes end up being slapped on shoulders, or wrapping 1/3rd of the way around the arm. Look at the Colts now, look at the hideous Browns striping. It looks ridiculous.

Some teams have figured this out and come up with good designs that make use of the new cut of NFL jerseys: Titans, Cardinals, Broncos. Others have done a good job of minimizing sleeve striping and use logos instead: Dolphins, Buccaneers, Jags, while some have botched the job completely trying to get away from traditional striping: Bills, Bengals (both guilty of overkill, not retro).

The Giants jerseys prior to these hideous things were a good blend of old and new, they looked classic but were aware of the issues of jersey cut/design.

These ones look horrible, with 1/2 stripes, all red. Just not a good look at all.

After all, if you want authenticity, the players should have to wear baggy pants, no facemasks and metal spikes. Retro can go too far, what is next, the Bears break out the leather helmets?

Sorry, this one gets a no vote from me.

1) I would never have refered to the Giants as the "New Jersey Giants" if the Jets weren't getting the hell out of Giants Stadium in a few years. Jersey can keep the Giants for all i care.

Yea, but the west side stadium is going to fail. Most experts are predicting that the stadium will fall through because public pressure against it. The Jets have said that if the Stadium falls through they will probably stay in New Jersey. It was a hypocritical statement on your part.

As for the unis, like I said earlier, I liked the previous ones better. With the red numbers it reflected these unis with still fitting in the scheme.

1)  I would never have refered to the Giants as the "New Jersey Giants" if the Jets weren't getting the hell out of Giants Stadium in a few years.  Jersey can keep the Giants for all i care.

Yea, but the west side stadium is going to fail. Most experts are predicting that the stadium will fall through because public pressure against it. The Jets have said that if the Stadium falls through they will probably stay in New Jersey. It was a hypocritical statement on your part.

Really? That's not what I'm seeing.

1)  I would never have refered to the Giants as the "New Jersey Giants" if the Jets weren't getting the hell out of Giants Stadium in a few years.  Jersey can keep the Giants for all i care.

As for the unis, like I said earlier, I liked the previous ones better. With the red numbers it reflected these unis with still fitting in the scheme.

Fail? It is all but a done deal. They've even been given the Super Bowl in 2010. :)

6uXNWAo.png

Fail? It is all but a done deal. They've even been given the Super Bowl in 2010. :)

Let's not get into Jets vs Giants here... i'm a fan of both teams (bigger Giants fan), and there's no need to get all pissy. Both teams are getting new stadiums, and both will be very nice i'm sure.....

....and i'm sure Jets fans won't mind the West Side Stadium looking like an aquarium tank... i'm sure they're ok with that....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Let's not get into Jets vs Giants here... i'm a fan of both teams (bigger Giants fan), and there's no need to get all pissy. Both teams are getting new stadiums, and both will be very nice i'm sure.....

....and i'm sure Jets fans won't mind the West Side Stadium looking like an aquarium tank... i'm sure they're ok with that....

I'll take a fish tank over Jersey.

6uXNWAo.png

As long as the stadium is built. It's far from a long deal. Right now the opposition is laying low untill the olympic vote in july. If New York gets the olympics then the stadium, if New York doesn't get the olympics expect public support for the stadium to drop. The Jets could go to Queens, but apparently the ownership doesn't want to go there even though that location makes the most sense for the stadium. In fact I believe of they had originally put the stadium in Queens for the Olympics it would help the bid alot as it would be closer to the olympic village. But the Jets want the stadium in manahattan for the prestige.

I doubt the olympics will come, as far as public support goes New York finished 4th amongst the finalist in a IOC poll. The Stadium is an issue and the city told the IOC that there is no backup plan.

As for the Super Bowl, the NFL did the same thing with San Fransico when they tried to get a new stadium. That failed and I haven't seen the Super Bowl in San Fran yet. Puckguy or ICS could explain that situation better.

As for the NJ comment, I'll let JQK take care of you on that. NJ is a hell of a lot nicer place to live than probably where you live.

Edit: here is an article on the stadium situations in the NEw York Metro are. It was written over month ago so a few things have changes, the Jets won the MTA bid (as expected), and the Giants and the state of New Jersey have agreed to build a stadium that the Giants would pay for. The Giants would rent the land at the meadowlands from New Jersey.

http://wb11.trb.com/ny-spstad0306,0,226525...oll=wpix-home-3

The New Jersey Giants (and I do stress NEW JERSEY) once again came up short on these uniforms.  They need to completly ditch this retro look becasue it's not woring for them at all. What they wore in the 50s and 60s looks pretty weak to begin with........... The Giants should just scrap this look and go with something modern, something like the Mets would do.  Mix in a little black.  Throw on some fancy new numbers and stripes.  Anything would be better than their awful retro look.  :puke:

comming from a jets fan? remember your team is just as guilty as the jets when it comes to the retro craze. the jets ditched a beutiful logo for a throwback logo that dosnt have anything to do with a jet. the logo from the 60's-1997 would work wonderfully with a modernized version of their current unis, but as it stands now the jets logo and uni set are just as bland as the giants.

The new/old Jets logo is better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll take a fish tank over Jersey.

My sig says it all. And for the record, I live south of I-195, which means I hate the Giants. I only like the Jets because Rich Kotite's ineptitude, coupled with the blind rabidity of their fans like my college roommate, kept me from having to buy beer for most of college. Jets fans will bet anything, any time. On a 1-15 team. Gotta love that.

I've seen the 505. Whole lotta brown - brown mountains, brown roads, brown adobe houses. Had a tire blowout visitng relatives in Santa Fe. It's like a moonscape with some scrub brush thrown in for ambience.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

These suck. They're horrible. No way around it. Plain bad.

The Giants pretty much had it perfect. A clean, solid look that gave a nod to the past. Grey pants that made the grey facemask work. I can't explain why, but they were able to get around my requirement of consistant striping and outlining; I guess it's because if I liked the whole package enough that I was able to make the striping and outlining consisent with a certain pattern.

Anyways, they ruined that. Now they've gone totally inconsistant by having two completely different jerseys. A blue one with white and no red (except for the insert on the collar that holds the NFL Equipment shield) and a white one with red and no blue. And then there's the stripes one one and not on the other. Plus the stripes just look plain bad--especially given the fact that they are just on one and they are just in one of a possible three colors.

And then...oh no...two pairs of pants of the same color. I HATE that. I hate it (two pairs of white) for the Broncos, but at least I understand their need for it (though it could be eliminated). But for the Giants...it's just inexplicable.

In fact, this whole change is inexplicable. I know one can actually explain it by saying it's an exact replica to honor the 50th anniversary (and beyond?) of a championship team, but that's just stupid. Wear a freaking patch or something.

Archived