Baseball Lettering

MonkeyWrench32

What should be the rules for MLB lettering on uniforms?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, the Yankees should not be exempt. All teams should have last names on all uniforms as a matter of providing extra information to the fan. And while I love the Yankee uniform and all the tradition behind it, adding last names on the backs would hardly be a breach of tradition.

Retard.

Wow, your display of jackassery never stops. I guess nobody can have any differing opinions on your beloved teams or else they are "retards".

It should be up to the team. Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs should not be forced into going against tradition. I can't see the names from the stands anyway, plus if you watch on tv, they have the guys name on the screen, and at the stadium, they show it on the scoreboard.

Oh look JQK has arrived..

"Is it me, or did it just get fatter in here?"
Home teams: Names mandatory on back.

Road teams: Names mandatory on back.

Teams that refuse: Fined $10,000 per player per day. That means you, Steinbrenner.

...again, Retard.

I find it odd that someone who works as a mental health technician would choose to use that as an insult. Is that what you do all day when you work with the children? Just sit there and call them retards? Disgusting.

Agreed. But $40.5 million per year ($10,000 × 25 players × 162 games) probably is not.

$40.5 M is one player to that guy. But still, I guess it wouldn't make much sense for him to waste that much money.

But they're the Yankees, I'd rather see them without names than with names.

JQuincy, do you have a problem with providing information to the fans? That's what the names on the backs of the jerseys do.

Again, having the Yankees put names on the backs of their uniforms would not be a breach of tradition, especially if every other team has names on their unis. The tradition in the Yankee uniforms is in the interlocking NY and the pinstripes.

JQuincy, do you have a problem with providing information to the fans? That's what the names on the backs of the jerseys do.

Is it not on the scoreboards? Is it not on the television screen? Can you see them on the television screen anyways? (The batter?) No.

Again, having the Yankees put names on the backs of their uniforms would not be a breach of tradition, especially if every other team has names on their unis. The tradition in the Yankee uniforms is in the interlocking NY and the pinstripes.

Plus no names, is part of the Yankees tradition. I know back when Micheal Kay was on the radio for the yankees he would describe each teams uniforms and for the Yankees he would go "no name, of course". No names is part of the Yankees tradition just as much as the pinstripes and interlocking NY. Changing to be like everyone else is breaking tradition.

Leave them on, and keep them on. It isn't going to kill you to see them on the back. No exceptions, not even to the Yankees.

But it's so CLEAN!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You guys are making way too big of a deal out of this. If teams want to put them on, put them on. If not, they can leave them off. There are plenty of other ways to tell who the player is. Geez.

Absolutly agree, it whould be up to the team.

I really don't care. I think baseball is the only sport where it looks ok not to have the names on it. To me it looks akward in football and basketball in college and high school when they don't have them. I realize all HS's and College's can't afford to put them on there, and that's fine.

But with baseball, looks fine either way. If the Devil Rays want to do it, more power to them. Not a big deal to me.

Archived