Mascots for Dixie State College

barnesdesign

Hey guys a while back I was commissioned to help Dixie State College of St. George, Utah come up with a design for a new mascot. They hired a couple of cartoonists also and the final six versions of all our work is up on the web here

DSC mascot finals

Just curious as to what you guys think. They asked just for the character, just the mascot, no wordmarks or anything else. If you want to read more about the thinking behind the process check this out

article

I liked the first Red Hawk and the third RoadRunner the best, although I have no idea how any of their choices embody "Rebels." (Then again, they are using the SD Chicken and Jazz Bear as references.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I had fun with the coyote too...the fireball was a tough one, so i threw in a phoenix to give it an identity. I like the hawk too but I have done so many dang brd logos recently i hope they pick something else (plus the University of Utah has a hawk as their mascot). I also don't mind the scorpion...and the third column's readrunner (with the soccerball) is cool.

Got to go with the Coyotes. Looks cool.

The Fireballs one is horrible. I'm sorry.

Yeah, I don't mind the phoenix logo, but the whole concept surrounding fireballs is bad.

The coyote is a little similar to NIU, but that could be easily changed. It has the most promise, and a coyote and the idea of a rebel are considerably more compatible than say a phoenix or roadrunner.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm somewhat bewildered...Dixie State College is in Utah? then again, Texas A&M opened a campus in Qatar a few years back (I kid you not...Texas A&M-Qatar). Barnes, if your stuff's the lefthand side ones, my favorite's teh scorpion. the scorpion has a mysterious quality that translates well IMO.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

buster04...I can see the similarities with the NIU husky...kind of the same stance. that's funny because that was the stance that the image i was working from was in too...syphi's right, it could be easily changed.

The fact that we were not commissioned to do actual sports logos is why all three version are not in that form. We had about a week and a half to get these all done. I would proabbly go back and revise all of them if/when given the time.

And discrim, Dixie State's old mascot was a unlv-ole miss style confederate rebel...and that is why they wanted a change...they are called dixie because st george is considered "utah's dixie" (or south, i suppose).

I don't know when they will have a final vote, but I will keep everyone posted :)

a confederate reference in utah? seems a bit out of place, no?

in any cases, its a shame they want to drop the dixie references and replace it with the safe and dull animal mascots. how many times can you recycle, the eagles, coyotes, lions, and bears?

come to think about it, since i believe colleges are nothing but houses of filth, i will finish this post with a quote from a BLACK friend who supported what the confederacy stood for, "...putting a dixie moniker in a college only stains the proud name of the former and emerging confederacy."

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Keep in mind that the school is looking for a mascot, not an athletic program logo. Granted, the mascot will appear in illustrated form in certain materials. However, I'm guessing that the client is also going to want to have the flexibility to render the mascot as a costume at some point. I point this out in order to explain the likely reason that the client chose to include the more cartoon-like work in the design process. It lends itself - particularly, the third column of designs - to costume applications.

All of this said, I think the coyote is the best of the choices.

Ben,

Man I was looking at these admiring them. Pow it hits me, this is your work.

Great stuff - I voted for the coyote. The roadrunner was my #2 choice with the dragon #3. :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived