Slightly ot: sammy sosa not going to the allstars

Hbomb90

And yet I bet that how some Americans actually feel!

Remember the US did put Japanese Americans in concentration camps during the Second World War. (Ah Concentration camps another great British invention!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well i know that that is not how i feel, racism is stupid. how could you be a sports fan and be racist, because no matter what sport you like, on what ever team is your favorite there are people from different races on them. i am furiouse we even have to have a topic go on this dirrection.

Well i know that that is not how i feel, racism is stupid. how could you be a sports fan and be racist, because no matter what sport you like, on what ever team is your favorite there are people from different races on them. i am furiouse we even have to have a topic go on this dirrection.

I totally agree, but remember (and I know I have mentioned this topic a few times) that until 1947 NO coloured player played MLB. Thats not foreign players, NO black America could play baseball at the highest level. They could go to war for the country but not put on the pinstripes of the Yankees. Racism does exist in sport, its not pretty it is totally wrong but it does exist.

I am not, but you could suggest the treatrment of Sammy is down to racism, would a white guy have been treated the same? (I would say they wopuld have been BTW)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

But the one thing that is different about Sammy Sosa is that he is a super star, i dont think there has ever been a star as big as him caught doing somthing. I think that in the dominican republic he is more popular than the president. So when you say "If it was a white guy he would be treated differently" I think that, with cheating, it would have been just as big a deal if Mark Mcguire had have been caught cheating, look at shoe less joe jackson, and pete rose, pete rose wasnt even caught cheating in a Game! and they still crusified him! and he is (as if you didnt know) White.

Which raises the interesting question of whether these people are treated like they are just because they are superstars rather than ordinary bit part players? Does baseball and American sports in general treat people like Rose or Sosa different than they would someone else.

Sorry to get way off topic, but as a Brit watching US sport the way these people are treated fascinates me. There doesn't seem to be anyone asking how much bat corking is going on in baseball, (and that would be a plausible reason for the growth in the number of home runs being hit recently) but instead people are quite happy to sacrifice the reputauion of someone who seems like a genuinely nice guy, to save the reputation of the sport.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived