My second Concept Submission

RedEye

there is not one damn thing wrong with this. damn you guys have been making me look like I suck lately, maybe its time for me to put something out (should be here soon). i think i would send a lil email to nau.

Solid Work Red Eye! But the only thing I don't like about it is the NAU Wordmark. Doesn't look like it comes from Flagstaff. If you go to Flagstaff it's a very traditional place with an old time appeal. Try to Modernize the current Wordmark to it and still make it flashy

lilg, Good point on the text. I will look into a more "2005" look for the wordmark that harkens back to the original.

I simply dislike their current wordmark so much. It looks very amateur-ish. I will take the advice and see what I can come up with to keep it consistant with the area.

The floating head logo was a last minute idea...think I was going to try the body with the landscape but never made it that far.

Thanks for the input everyone!

THats intense work. A definite other player has arrived at the Creamer.

For what its worth, didn't we just read about NAU changing their mascot? Or maybe not.....maybe just colors and formalizing their school related logo.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

THats intense work. A definite other player has arrived at the Creamer.

For what its worth, didn't we just read about NAU changing their mascot? Or maybe not.....maybe just colors and formalizing their school related logo.

they're going to be the Lumberjacks, they're just going to modify the logos at the school, and change the colors a bit

Thanks guys.

Here is the modification of the text. New and Old.

NAUconcept2.jpg

lilg....I never read about them changing things up.

Do you guys think it would be too late in the game to submit this? Maybe since a change is brewing in one area this area may be ripe for the picking?

Thoughts?

i like the wordmark on the right better, but that's a personal preference thing - i think the one on the left would stand a better chance of getting implemented because it's more "traditional" looking...and if i were you i'd submit these designs RIGHT NOW and let them tell you it's too late - these look great

jldesigns404eo.png

looks great, looks way better than before, looks like you took a school and modernized it to todays looks. I'll have to look it up but someone posted the new logo for the school, i'll have it here in a couple minutes

Redeye - your work (talent) is fantastic. I really like your version better.

Fine concept!!! :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on NAU's revision of its Lumberjack marks. Phoenix Design Works got the contract. We'll see if they can top what Red Eye has done here. Given the puppy dogs that they came up with for Tennessee, I'm wary about the "kid-friendly" Lumberjack this article says they'll be producing.

From http://www4.nau.edu/insidenau/bumps/5_11_05/louie.htm

Louie getting new look, new attitude: He's not mad, just determined

When students return to NAU in the fall, a familiar friend will have undergone a minor makeover.

Louie the Lumberjack is getting a facelift. The new-look Louie will be a remodeled version of the popular "Bad-Ass Louie" that has been seen around campus for the last couple of years. Louie will be unveiled later this summer as will some new "word marks" for use by NAU Athletics.

Though Northern Arizona Normal School's football team was nicknamed the Lumberjacks in the fall of 1915, there have been no "sanctioned" athletic marks. Over the years, NAU athletics has used a variety of fonts and marks.

"Bad-Ass Louie" was created by a hat company that wanted a Louie image that would sell on clothing. It has, and a more ferocious and determined Louie seems to be gaining favor in markets outside Flagstaff. But "Bad-Ass Louie" has no body, and some in NAU Athletics hoped to tweak that image to launch a new Louie for the whole campus.

"The time is right to focus on the mascot and how it represents the university and the athletic program," said Athletics Director Jim Fallis. "Northern Arizona University, like many others in the country, needs to have a professional view taken of the athletic mascot."

To design the new Louie, NAU Athletics, University Marketing and Phoenix Design Works out of New York led a committee that included input from students, ASNAU representatives, faculty, alumni, bookstore, collegiate licensing, Skydome personnel, public affairs, student-athletes and coaches.

Phoenix Design Works, which created the UMass Minuteman and the University of Tennessee's "Smokey," designed several new Louie versions and presented them to the committee.

The committee tweaked the selections before feedback sessions were held with local boosters and alumni as well as students and student-athletes. The final looks are still in the design stage with rollout scheduled to take place in the late summer.

The final designs will include Louie and athletics word marks, which will contain a "Northern Arizona University" mark and an "NAU" for use by all teams. Also under way is a design for a more "kid-friendly" version.

The cost for researching and creating the new Louie, about $20,000, is part of the $600,000 already allotted for university image redesign.

"I am excited about what they are bringing forward, after having listened to students, alumni, boosters and staff," Fallis said. "I want to thank the university administration for including the review of the athletic logo in the all-encompassing university marketing plan."

Archived