Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

xxvnyg80

How rediculous is the name Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Can you imagine if every team did that?

New York Yankees of The Bronx

New York Mets of Flushing

New York Giants of East Rutherford

Washington Redskins of Landover

I know you get the poit, but it would look rediculous on merchandise

nygiants-1.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's completly ridiculos. Arte Moreno was so worried about expanding his market and fanbase, that he didn't bother do worry about alienating his existing fanbase. Not only that, the name it's self sounds absolutly stupid.

*Yawns*

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

True story:

I was with a friend of mine watching his kid's Little League game last week. The next game featured a team wearing the Angels' "A" on their caps. At some point in talking w/my friend I called the team the Angels, but I was quickly corrected by a 9-year old, "No sir! We're the Los Angeles Angels of Raleigh."

Cracked me up.

nav-logo.png

It's completly ridiculos. Arte Moreno was so worried about expanding his market and fanbase, that he didn't bother do worry about alienating his existing fanbase. Not only that, the name it's self sounds absolutly stupid.

Yeah, he is alienating the HELL out of his fanbase. The last home stand the Angels averaged about 40,000 per game. Yeah, Angels stadium is turning into a ghost town. Face it, the Angels fans couldnt care less if you named the team the SH**hole Angels of HellTown, as long as the team was very competitive and the beer is cheap.

metslogo_215.gif

I still think that Anaheim Angels is the better name, and I will CONTINUE to refer to them as Anaheim, not as Los Angeles Angels, as ANA and not as LAA.

Anyone who doesn't is officially a goober.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

The "of Anaheim" part is only there for legal reasons, and most people drop it. If anything, I blame the media for making Moreno make the switch, because in the LA area, the Angels always got the lower end media contracts and were always thought of as an afterthought compared to the Dodgers. If changing the name will convince the media to give the team a more profitable television/radio contract, then I'm all for it. Besides, Anaheim's practically LA anyway.

And, here's some extra info on the situation for those not from the area. Anaheim is part of the Los Angeles media region... meaning that all Angels broadcast are on Los Angeles stations. Anaheim doesn't have seperate broadcast stations. Also, here's a map that shows the location of both cities:

LA/Anaheim Map

Notice that Anaheim's only 20-25 miles down I-5 from downtown LA.

VmWIn6B.png

They call them the LA Angels on Sports Center, TV, etc. Does anybody really call the Mighty Ducks the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim?

For the most part its the Mighty Ducks or the Anaheim Mighty Ducks when they were on national tv.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Talking Proud! - the Buffalo Bills of Orchard Park.

The Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles

The Minneapolis Lakers of Los Angeles

The Baltimore Colts of Indianapolis

The Oakland Raiders of Los Angeles of Oakland

Face it, the Angels fans couldnt care less if you named the team the SH**hole Angels of HellTown, as long as the team was very competitive and the beer is cheap.

best quote ever...lol

what was the reasoning for the california angels in changing to LAA. :therock:

The California Angels originally changed their name to the Anaheim Angels in 1998 in exchange for the City of Anaheim taking out all of the football seats at Angels Stadium and returning the stadium somewhat to its original form. When the Rams moved from the LA Coliseum to Anaheim before the 1984 NFL season, the city had completely enclosed the stadium, adding 20,000+ seats for football. When Arte Metrano bought the team, he wanted to change the name to Los Angeles Angels because he wanted to widen the marketing scope of the team. It apparently is easier to sell the "Los Angeles" name than it is "Anaheim". The one drawback - the team's lease states that the name "Anaheim" must be prominent in the team name, thus the LA Angels of Anaheim. Nobody on the Anaheim City Council foresaw somebody using the city name as a tag and is suing the Angels for violating the lease, even though "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" does technically fulfill the lease. At last report, the lawsuit won't be heard until September at the earliest, so we have the LA Angels of Anaheim for this year at least.

Archived