new premiership jerseys

kc51design

west ham united and preston don't actually play in the FA Premiership - rather they play in the Nationwide Championship. The FA Premiership, with the font you first showed, is the top division of the FA. The Nationwide Championship is the FA's (Football Association, the governing body of English football) secondary division. european soccer works like this - the league incorporates the "minor league" divisions and any team can move through the system - so theoretically Manchester United could drop down to the Nationwide Championship or even further below to Division 1, Division 2, or even Division 3. At the end of each season, the top three teams from the lower divisions are promoted to the next level, and the bottom 3 teams are relegated the division below.

Now the FA Premiership, with Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool have implemented a uniform number and font set for every team during leaguewide competitions. The lower leagues can either make leaguewide numbers or leave it to the individual teams. During non-league competitions (i.e. the FA Cup or UEFA competitions) teams use alternative number fonts. Most Premiership teams use the same font without the FA logo in the bottom of the number, but several, like chelsea, use a different font that is specific to either the team or kit manufacturer (in Chelsea's case, Umbro).

West Ham's font is different in this case because they are no longer in the FA Premiership, at least they weren't last year. Does that answer your question?

OD_Signature.jpg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

premiership has it's own numbers, as well as championship. So West Ham should either have Premiership or Championship numbers, but they had some other numbers. So gordie, no you didn't answer the question.

I would guess they used some reebok made numbers just for that game. So for next game thay'll spot Premiership numbers.

yeah, you should be careful when ordering shirts from europe, because of the sizes... however, when lonsdale started making blackburn rovers shirts, they switched to american sizes (even though lonsdale is from london).

so while i'm normally a XXL in european sizes, i actually ordered an XL rovers shirt this year, and it fit me like a dream.

I think what he was saying is that West Ham's numbers didn't match Preston North End's.

52999689.jpg

Compare this with the thinner numbers, which I believe are the official Championship numbers:

_41147617_preston-getty300.jpg

While we're on the subject of numbers, Chelsea uses a different font when they play in Champions League games:

_41084725_lampard_getty.jpg

Arsenal and Liverpool both use their standard Premier League numbers (without the EPL logo, I believe) when they play in Champions League matches.

I know for a fact that Manchester United and Chelsea use different letter and number fonts in the Champions League than in the Premiership. All teams in the premiership have the same font, and if you look carefully the EPL logo is at the bottom of each number. It is known that the lower leagues usually have the same font. I know Nationwide leagues in the past did that. I think for that play-off, teams were using their own font.

For clarification, the level below the Premiership is the Coca-Cola Championship, not Nationwide.

I saw, I came, I left.

Liverpool uses the regular EPL numbers, but without the FA logo.

Manchester United uses the Nike numbers, and Chelski uses the Umbro lettering; since the back of the jersey is the only thing without advertising on their uniforms, the font chosen for these uniforms helps "advertise" the brand of shirt.

Remember the infamous photos of the Manchester United guy doing a flying karate kick into the stands? Eric Cantona has a big yellow block number 7 with Umbro diamonds cut out of the bottom serif.

Cantona_18.jpg

Nope, they used the standard EPL numbers without the EPL logo, as seen in this wallpaper from the win over PSV on 14 September 2004:

http://www.arsenal.com/images/wallpapers/p...092004_1024.jpg

I wish they had - I really don't like the Premiership numbers. They look goofy and unbalanced to me.

Arsenal used both numbers this year for Champions League. For the PSV match at Highbury they had Premiership numbers, but later in the competition they did use the Nike speed numbers. The reason for the different numbers on West Ham's uni's is that they wanted to show off their new uniforms. The number is either Reeboks new "standard" number for it's teams or something that West Ham requested for the match. I noticed they still wore the Coca Cola league patches, not sure if they had any stitching on the kit identifying that it was the playoff final.

Chelsea wore Umbro's "standard" numbers for Champions League and the Carling Cup Final. Same for exhibition matches in the US and Asia. Of course they showed off the new Samsung jersey in their Asia tour two weeks ago. But not the new crest. So I think they may have a new top to start next year.

Of course the Prem, Coca Cola Leagues, Ligue 1, and MLS are the only leagues that have a mandatory font shape. Most other teams wear the standard number assigned by the company that makes their uniforms, unless the club specifically asks for a certain font, (i.e. Barcelona, AC Milan).

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hardly. I like outlines, I like dropshadows. Unless you're the Mets, and the dropshadow is black. The Giants, for example, made a great scheme better by adding the gold (or whatever they call it) dropshadow.

I like the weight of a number to be consistent, that's all. Numbers that bulge on the ends look cartoony to me.

Arsenal used both numbers this year for Champions League. For the PSV match at Highbury they had Premiership numbers, but later in the competition they did use the Nike speed numbers.

Which match was that?

Against Rosenborg they wore the plain EPL numbers as well.

http://www.arsenal.com/images/wallpapers/rosenborg1_1024.jpg

This is TH14, from what I think was Arsenal's elimination:

286781_BIGPORTRAIT.jpg

EPL numbers on his shorts

Of course the Prem, Coca Cola Leagues, Ligue 1, and MLS are the only leagues that have a mandatory font shape.

Scottish Premier League and France's Championnat are virtually identical to MLS's throughout the leagues.

Frankly, I'd like to see FIFA go to standard numerals for the World Cup. But choose a font to reflect the host nation, kind of like the design of the match ball reflects the host nation: 1990 had Italian architecture; 1994 had comets and space images; 1998 had French tricolor stripes; 1999 had American landmarks (Golden Gate Bridge, St. Louis Arch, Statue of Liberty (of course, the adidas ball hasn't changed much between the 2002 WC and the 2004 Olympics).

West Ham wore their new shirt for next season in the Playoff final, their numbers are the new Coca Cola Football League numbers for next season, as Hartlepool wore those numbers in the League One Playoff final. The reason for the change is that the old Football League logo is in the numbers and they don't use that anymore, so it's time for a change. The Premier League numbers were brought in at the start of the 1997/98 season and the Football League numbers were introduced in 1999/2000, when they debuted the concept of squad numbers in the lower divisions. Just for the record their is the Premier League, which is run by the Football Association of England and is a seperate organisation from the Football League. The Football League runs the Championship, League One and League Two. Those are the professional English leagues, then you have the ladder of non league football which is the Nationwide Conference, then the Conference South and North, those leagues are the main structure of non league football and you have to go through the Conference to make he Football League. Various other divisions are below the regional Conferences. Just thought I'd clear that up with everyone who isn't too familiar with the English system.

To compare, Preson North End's looked like the Nike numbers from 1997 to 1999.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:AUrK...bout/healey.jpg

That might be because they are Leeds jerseys as far as I know. I remember when they had sponsoring like all over their kit, and I believe that they were sponsored by Nike in their first season in Championship (Div 1)

signature.png

West Ham wore their new shirt for next season in the Playoff final, their numbers are the new Coca Cola Football League numbers for next season

I don't like those numbers! Just my opinion.

Also, the idea of everyone wearing the same number for the World Cup, I don't think so. i like taht Umbro has a different number font for each team. The squads will look close enough as it is since nike and adidas outfit the majority of the squads and hand them cookie cutter uniforms to boot. Puma is the same way, only 2 different uni styles instead of just one. Italy is the only national squad Puma has that uses it's own specific uniform.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

West Ham wore their new shirt for next season in the Playoff final, their numbers are the new Coca Cola Football League numbers for next season, as Hartlepool wore those numbers in the League One Playoff final.

Thanks for the heads-up. So the Championship/League 1/League 2 teams will start looking like the Italian League ...

Just one thing, though .. do any clubs in England (well, at least in the four major divisions or the three conferences) use the squiggly numbers you only see on Hurling teams?

allstar17_jpg.jpg

Archived