Shortened team names

Snowcap30

i believe the official name of the Knicks and Mets are "Knicks" and "mets" respectivly, despite the fact that they are based on other names. The A's are offically Athetics (allthough i believe at some point they were "A's"). Just as the Blazers are offically Trail Blazers and Sonics are offically Supersonics.

PS: can we count 49ers as shortened because they dotn spell out "fortyniners"

Azzuri.gif

Steve Sommers calls the Metropolitans.

The parent company that owned the Mets in 1962 was called the New York Metropolitain baseball club, and thats where it was shortened from.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

from "The Names of the Games" by Mike Lessiter.

"The name Mets was chosen by club owner Mrs. Joan Payson based on five specific points. Payson stated that it met public and press acceptance, it was closely related to the teams corporate name (Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc.), it was descriptive of the New York metropolitan area, it had a brevity that delighted copywriters everywhere, and the name had historical background."

oddly enough, two of the finalists were Jets and Islanders, which went on to be used by other New York teams. Add to that the fact that Jets and Nets were named in order to rhyme with Mets.

Azzuri.gif

Some more colorful NY sports history -

March 6, 1961, the New York Metropolitan Baseball Club Inc., formally receives a certificate of membership from National League President Warren Giles. Other names als considered included Rebels, Skyliners, NYBs, Burros (for the five boroughs), Continentals, Avengers.  May 8,1961 - New York's National League club announces that the team nickname will be "Mets," a natural shortening of the corporate name.

New York?s original AFL team was called the Titans. When Sonny Werblin took over the franchise in 1963, he changed the team name to Jets to "reflect the modern approach of his team and the star-studded performances he hoped his team would produce." And it rhymes with "Mets".

After the ABA's first year (1967-68), the New Jersey Americans franchise moved to Long Island and became the New York Nets. The "Nets" nickname was picked because it rhymed with "Mets" and "Jets."

The Americans jersey says Americans, not Amerks.  I'm pretty sure the official name of the Knicks is Knickerbockers.  Never name your team after a fashion trend.  "presenting your Atlanta Du-Rags!!"  Nah.

This doesn't really count for this topic, but Canuck is just another word for Canadian person.  Canuck is a derrogitory term, but the team is actually named for the name given to Canadian WWII(maybe WWI) Canadian soldiers.  Just like in the American Civil War you had Johnny Reb and Billy Yank, or the Doughboys of WWI(America, again), Canada had Johnny Canuck.  Hence why a Canucks logo of a Canadian is called Johnny Canuck.

Officially, the Knicks are the New York Knickerbockers, however, since the mid 50's, they have been marketed as the Knicks, and so it pretty much has become their name. With the New York Mets, while it is know that Mets is short for metropolitans, they were never called that, they were always the Mets, however i do believe the organization itself was The New York Metropolitans Baseball Club Inc.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I can vouch for that, the company operating the club was/is referred to as the "Metropolitan" baseball club.

The Expos, however, have and for whatever short period they have left, been the Expos.  No "Expositions" or any such thing.

A's for Athletics... how about O's for the Orioles and M's for the Mariners?  The latest one I've been hearing here and there are the G's or the G-men for the Giants.

nav-logo.png

I can vouch for that, the company operating the club was/is referred to as the "Metropolitan" baseball club.

The Expos, however, have and for whatever short period they have left, been the Expos.  No "Expositions" or any such thing.

A's for Athletics... how about O's for the Orioles and M's for the Mariners?  The latest one I've been hearing here and there are the G's or the G-men for the Giants.

By Exposition 1967s i was refering to the fact they were named after Exposition 1967 and shortened the name down to Expos

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived