New expos locations?

CDunn

SharkHatesBrown

Posted on July 10 2003,20:24

issue 1: DC should have baseball. baseball is considered the "national pastime" and the fact that the capital of this nation has no team representing them in the national pastime is indeed shameful. Ottawa finally got the NHL eleven years ago after a long tenure without, so why cant DC have the MLB? of course, assuring a franchise's long term sucess in DC would require solid corporate sponsors, a new ballpark, and of course, a cometitive product.

Yes Ottawa has the NHL, but they were dangerously close to losing it!

I saw, I came, I left.

If the Expos move to Washington DC, does this mean that baseball will realign? I mean Milwaukee was originally a National League city untill the Braves moved and when the Brewers started it became an AL, now its a NL. Washington has always been an American League city, it even has a stadium a team can move right into temporarily until a new one is built so i think logically DC is the place to be for the Expos.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Washington has always been an American League city, it even has a stadium a team can move right into temporarily until a new one is built so i think logically DC is the place to be for the Expos.

well seeing as how all the other two-team markets have a team representing each league (Giants-A's, Dodgers-Angels, Cubs-White Sox, Mets-Yankees) it would make sense for the beltway (Washington-Baltimore) to have a team representing each league. since baltimore has the AL team, why not DC having the NL team? all the more reason to move the expos there and keep them in the same league and same division

Oh Canada, will you lose all your sports franchises. Winnipeg is gone, Grizzlies are past, Ottawa is on the edge, and now Montreal. Keep the team in Motreal and build a new stadium. If Expos go to DC, Orioles will be the next team to reloceate since they will lose fan base. Watch out Blue Jays, Raptors, Canucks, Oilers, and even Canadiens, you might be next to go south

Well they do play in the NATIONAL hockey league, NATIONAL basketball association etc. That is not to say it isn't a pity that teams move away from a loyal (if smallish sometimes) fanbase. But Canada surely doesnt have a right to teams in USA leagues. Although I guess hockey is a whole other matter!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Uh, do you guys realize that the NHL started out with the Montréal Canadiens, Montréal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators and Toronto Arenas?  "National" referred to Canada.

As for the Expos, I don't think they should move.  It's really sad to see what has happened to that club.  I think they could be saved if they somehow got a new ballpark.

Yeah I am sorry for the confusion I did mean to point out that NHL teams moving out of Canada is a whole other, very sad and VERY regretable thing! Its terrible  when say the Ottawa Senators face ridiculous pressure to move into a large US market. BBBOOOOOOOO to the NHL for that!

The movement of Canadian teams in the NBA and NHL is slightly different, as neither league has a tradition of Canadian teams, however if the leagues wanted teams i Canada, as I auume they both did, bearing in mind the nature of the expansions that took place to make it happen, I am sure they could do more to help the teams stay in Canada!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Short history lesson: the NBA considers it's first game ever as having been between the Toronto Huskies and New York Knickerbockers.

There's a Canadian history in the NBA, no doubt.

Re: the Montreal issue

SHB, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. It's all a question of whether the owners and MLB want baseball to work in Montreal (and I really don't think they've tried all that hard). I know building a new downtown stadium can be expensive and difficult, but come on. It's not like it's impossible. I know there's been studies done on how building a new stadium really has very little long term impact on the fan turnout, but this is more like going from no stadium to nice stadium then old stadium to new stadium.

The Canadian dollar has fought it's way back to now being approx 75 cents US. Hopefully this'll continue, as it would make pro sports in Canada a much more viable option.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

SyPhi Posted on July 11 2003,11:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short history lesson: the NBA considers it's first game ever as having been between the Toronto Huskies and New York Knickerbockers.

There's a Canadian history in the NBA, no doubt.

Re: the Montreal issue

SHB, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. It's all a question of whether the owners and MLB want baseball to work in Montreal (and I really don't think they've tried all that hard). I know building a new downtown stadium can be expensive and difficult, but come on. It's not like it's impossible. I know there's been studies done on how building a new stadium really has very little long term impact on the fan turnout, but this is more like going from no stadium to nice stadium then old stadium to new stadium.

The Canadian dollar has fought it's way back to now being approx 75 cents US. Hopefully this'll continue, as it would make pro sports in Canada a much more viable option.

A higher Canadian Dollar will help the sports teams, at the same time, if the Canadian dollar continues to rise to say 05-05 cents and holds for a long time, then you will also see people of all sorts of professions stay in Canada and slow the "Brain Drain". On the flip side, some manufaturing companies will be hurt by the higher Canadian Dollar because of their dependency on exporting their products to the US.

I saw, I came, I left.

The Expos have no one in that stadium because the product sucks, and it's sucked for so long, they don't care. They say it's olympic Stadium, and i'm sure it plays a part, but it is not the main reason.

I have to disagree the Epos actaully have  a decent team, with a shot at teh Wild Card. So not even a good tema would bring the fans back in Montreal.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

A couple of things:

"Northern Virginia" can be defined as consisting  of Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William and Fauquier Counties, as well as the cities of Alexandria, Falls Church and Fairfax. It's a demographic and economic goldmine, with more people and a much better government situation than DC.

The two hottest stadium sites are in Arlington, just across the river from DC, with views of the monuments.

Baltimore and Washington each HAVE beltways, but are NOT connected by one...the main arteries for travel are I-95 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

AND NONE OF THIS MATTERS, BECAUSE IF YOU THINK BUMBLIN' BUD SELIG AND HIS TRAVELLING BAND OF BUFFOONS ARE GOING TO LET THE EXPOS MOVE, I HAVE SOME OCEANFRONT PROPERTY IN UTAH TO SELL YA.

The Expos will be contracted in 2006 after roaming aimlessly through the land for the next three seasons. Bet on it.

???

Archived