Ny rangers white liberty question

mr71

Did the nameplate of the jersey consist of 3 colors or 2?  I had one customized a couple of weeks ago and it was returned with red and a blue (which looks black to me) with no silver in the name.

To my knowledge, I think it did have silver in it.  Although I've seen many customizations on replicas that have had both of them.  NHLuniforms.com has it with silver, but this image below from dropthepucks.com shows it without.  Since this is a game worn jersey, I'll say that you got the right customization.  

B).jpg" border="0" class="linked-image" />

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I see silver in the nameplate, too.  You have to look really hard, but I think it's there.  Look at the T and the Z.  It may appear black because it doesn't have the silver around it to lighten it up.  You can take something like plain white computer paper, but a little square in it so you can place it over the letters and only the blue/black will show through the hole.  Then look at the numbers or something you know is blue and look at that through the hole to see if the first one matches the real blue.  And, make sure you have good lighting.

I would e-mail a couple of other places that customize hockey jerseys and ask them what is correct.  You might also try e-mailing the Rangers.  If they say your customizer is correct, at least you'll have some piece of mind.  If they say your customizer is wrong, you'll have some ammunition to ask that they redo it correctly.

I don't have to.  I dug through my Rangers yearbook from that season and lo and behold, a picture of Mathieu Schneider and Ulf Sammuellson with the silver trim.  That's all the ammunition I need!!!!!

I called the letterer to complain.  I emailed the picture and the guy at the shop said that it is accurate as the NHL made the Rangers remove the silver in the name since it was "hard to read". I find that hard to believe. I looked at my Rangers yearbook from that year and it had the silver trim. Anyone have a pic showing only 2 colors in the lettering? Much appreciated. I want to know if my jersey is ruined!!! Bah!!

I called a friend who is a radio programmer in New York and has several game-worn jerseys from the Rangers given to his company. They have two white Liberty jerseys, one has silver trim, one does not. He asked someone with the Rangers about it (since you asked, I got incredibly curious and having two that didn't match made him pretty curious as well) they told him basically the same story you got from the lettering people. The first few times they sported the jerseys, the names where three colors blue with silver trim and red drop shadow. Later in the season, they were changed to just blue with a red background after a couple of broadcasters complained about not being able to read the names. Problem was, removing the silver made it worse, but it was never corrected.

The blue name would appear to be darker on a red background than it would on the silver, which explains why the name looks darker than the number.

May I ask who did the lettering for you?

BRice16

Sure bro.  I originally brought it to Darius Partners in NYC (a few blocks away from MSG).  They went out of business but before they did, they arranged for a place in Ridgewood, NY called Sports Plus to finish all the lettering for jerseys that they had not finished yet.  OK, since I heard it from 2 places, I guess I will have to live with it.  The silver trim would have looked nice.  It just looks like it's missing something.

Thanks, bro.  I actually followed on your recommendation on my other thread and sent some stuff to Authentic Lettering.  Sadly, I asked them about this and they won't repair it.  They don't want to take a chance on ruining the jersey.  I'm going to try 2 other places to see if they do something.  BTW, I noticed the 3 places I found for lettering are all in the Chicago area.  Coincidence?!?

Archived