American Football in Canada

BBTV

A NFL team in Toronto would become a National Team for all Canadian Football fans and they woould be a huge success.

Uh, no it wouldn't...

Much of Canada could embrace the Blue Jays and/or Expos--especially when the Jays won the World Series--but there wasn't a Canadian MLB counterpart to compete against or to replace...

If TO getting an NFL team resulted in the death of the CFL or even a downgrade there are Canadians who wouldn't care--but there are many that would hold that against the NFL and not support it.

There's also the reason alouettesfan presented--that could fly in much of the country...

Yeah Tank, you're a little off-base here.

A Toronto team might become the team for Canadian fans under the age of 25 and without a strong connection to any current team.

However here in Manitoba, there's some strong connections to the Vikings, and I'm guessing it's similar in Vancouver with Seattle.

Also, if it would hurt the CFL, it would alienate a lot of CFL fans who make up the brunt of the big football fans in the country. (There's some Canadians who only like the CFL or the NFL, but the real football fans can appreciate both.)

A Toronto team would be the cool new toy that Toronto just has to have. If they had it, they might be able to succeed.

However, with...

• the Blue Jays being one economic downturn away from the edge of oblivion
  • the Raptors still struggling to establish a firm fanbase foundation in the wake of Vincegate
  • the Argos inability to draw fans to a Grey Cup-worthy team

...I think Toronto has enough sports toys that aren't being played with to warrant them getting another (albeit cool) one.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

A NFL team in Toronto would become a National Team for all Canadian Football fans and they woould be a huge success.

Like hell it would. :rolleyes:

I'd never give up my 49ers for a Toronto team, never in a million years.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

However here in Manitoba, there's some strong connections to the Vikings, and I'm guessing it's similar in Vancouver with Seattle.

You'd be correct, there's a fair bit of Seahawks fans around these parts. I imagine it's easy cause of the fact that Seattle's only a 2½ hour drive away, so it's a lot easier to cheer for a team that's that close than one that would be so far away.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk cause I am a Niners fan, and they're pretty far away. :P

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

the NFL would suceed in Toronto, but that might kill the Argos and apparently the CFL would crumble without a team in Toronto (i hear sponsors would pull out)

it would definately be accepted in toronto, the most american of the canadian cities

Do you think that kids with the football "dream" would focus more on NFL than CFL, and that would prompt a change in the way the other leagues (schools, etc.) play, therefore "killing" the Canadian style of football?

I've always thought that if i make it in football that I would play about 2-4 years in the NFL then play in the CFl for the rest of my career.

untitled-6.jpg

First of all, football is football. You can change the number of downs, the number of players on the field, the size of the field, and any number of variables, but in the end, the principles of passing, running, catching, tackling, and defense are the same.

Canadian football fans generally have a good understanding of both versions of the game, simply because we have the access to both (whereas in the states, you won't have much access to the CFL).

That said, I would not support the expansion of the NFL into Canada, just like a disapproved of the CFL's expansion into the U.S. There's a heritage to the game in both countries that I don't think should be messed with.

The NFL has the money, and therefore the quality of play is better. However most CFL fans will vehemently defend the quality of their game, the legends of our field, and the history of our game.

The NFL might work in Toronto, but I think once you reach a metropolitan population of that size, any sport could work with good marketing. The CFL could survive the loss of the Argonauts in the short term, but it would put a severe dent in the credibility of the league as a national icon, and could very well significantly impair the viability of the league in the long term.

The Toronto Argonauts are under new ownership now and hopefully in the process of establishing a solid CFL presence in the league's largest market. The prairie perspective is that Torontonians should be able to get their football fix from the Argos, and drive over the border if they're too good for the Canadian game.

i'm an Argos fan but, i couldn't have said it better myself. it's almost like like the English Premier League of soccer putting a team in France. It's the english premier league not the English French Premier League. CFL 4 Life :flagcanada::flagcanada::flagcanada:

untitled-6.jpg

I'm not very knowledgeable as to what Quebec's favourite NFL team is, but since the northern New England region is right next door, (Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine) it would be easy to determine most Quebeckers follow the Patriots.

That would be an understatement.

I have friends up there who cheer for teams other than New England, I used to know somebody 6 years back who was a Jets fan. My buddy Derek, who lives in Cornwall, ON, follows the Bills on a regular basis. And an acquaintance of mine who does Als' games on the radio for CJAD was a longtime Raiders fan.

I myself had some favourite NFL teams. Outside of being an Als fan, I grew up watching the Steelers of the late 70's. I also liked the Raiders, the Bengals (for the uniforms), the Bears (for only a short time, in 1985-86), the Bills, and now I'm into the Colts.

So I guess no matter who you cheer for, there's a common ground between us fans, we love the game for what it has become, and what it is today.

I'm not very knowledgeable as to what Quebec's favourite NFL team is, but since the northern New England region is right next door, (Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine) it would be easy to determine most Quebeckers follow the Patriots.

I have friends up there who cheer for teams other than New England, I used to know somebody 6 years back who was a Jets fan. My buddy Derek, who lives in Cornwall, ON, follows the Bills on a regular basis. And an acquaintance of mine who does Als' games on the radio for CJAD was a longtime Raiders fan.

I myself had some favourite NFL teams. Outside of being an Als fan, I grew up watching the Steelers of the late 70's. I also liked the Raiders, the Bengals (for the uniforms), the Bears (for only a short time, in 1985-86), the Bills, and now I'm into the Colts.

So I guess no matter who you cheer for, there's a common ground between us fans, we love the game for what it has become, and what it is today.

:blink:

How can you be a fan of all those teams?

Im assuming if the Clots start to suck then you'll abandon them?

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I agree. They could put a NFL team in my backyard and name them after me and I wouldnt root for them. Ever.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I would embrace the NFL in Canada, althought I can't say I would root for the team.

I find rooting for any team in the CFL is like bragging about being the smartest student in the slow class at school. Can you really feel tremendous pride when you've topped a local group of 8 who's product is diluted from the geniune talent? For that same reason, I find it hard to root for any team in a league that has, I'd say, less than 12 teams.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I agree. They could put a NFL team in my backyard and name them after me and I wouldnt root for them. Ever.

Hell, if they put a CFL team in my backyard, I wouldn't look out my window to watch them play.

IUe6Hvh.png

Hell, if they put a CFL team in my backyard, I wouldn't look out my window to watch them play.

What if it was a really nice day outside?

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

eh, the exception would be if it were wet and muddy -- I'd even watch a pee wee game if it's played in those conditions. ^_^

But seriously, as a fan of football in general, I'd probably watch the CFL if I got a chance.

IUe6Hvh.png

:blink:

How can you be a fan of all those teams?

Im assuming if the Clots start to suck then you'll abandon them?

I think this is what Mr. Webster would use for the definition of a "Bandwagon Fan".

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

eh, the exception would be if it were wet and muddy -- I'd even watch a pee wee game if it's played in those conditions. ^_^

But seriously, as a fan of football in general, I'd probably watch the CFL if I got a chance.

That's good to hear. Sure, it's different from the NFL, but it's not without its charm.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

eh, the exception would be if it were wet and muddy -- I'd even watch a pee wee game if it's played in those conditions.  ^_^

That's good to hear. Sure, it's different from the NFL, but it's not without its charm.

Some of us would say it has more charm...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

eh, the exception would be if it were wet and muddy -- I'd even watch a pee wee game if it's played in those conditions.  ^_^

Some of us would say it has more charm...

I've always thought it had equal charm myself.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

You'd be correct, there's a fair bit of Seahawks fans around these parts. I imagine it's easy cause of the fact that Seattle's only a 2½ hour drive away, so it's a lot easier to cheer for a team that's that close than one that would be so far away.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk cause I am a Niners fan, and they're pretty far away. :P

There are actually a lot of Seahawk fans across the west. I know of many in Calgary that take a bus down here for the annual Canada Day celebration.

I know one thing, if the Argos moved to my backyard, i'd watch...hey, if nothin else, free football :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I know one thing, if the Argos moved to my backyard, i'd watch...hey, if nothin else, free football :D

I'd charge them rent...

It would help pay the bills...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived