New KU logo

bri1275

If it's the University of Kansas...why is it KU?

Because Kansas is stupid.

(I went to Missouri, and that doorway was waaaaay to wide for me to not walk through it.)

Some schools, Missouri included, are acronymally known as KU or MU even though the long-form version is the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri(-Columbia). UK is pretty much dominated by the University of Kentucky.

Cards.png

You would think UK was dominated by the University of Kentucky, but a lot of the times whenever I have my "UK" hate on, and its Kentucky blue people will ask, "Oh, Kansas?" I don't know how many times I've had to say, "KU is is Kansas, UK is Kentucky."

I like the idea of two, but it needs some work.

Indiana/Illinois. Not nearly the hatred (there is some there but it died with Bobby Knight's firing) but Indiana is IU and Illinois is UofI.

It was even more confusing in the 80's cause for awhile, they both used the same I and U logo.

I like the idea of two, but it needs some work.

Indiana/Illinois. Not nearly the hatred (there is some there but it died with Bobby Knight's firing) but Indiana is IU and Illinois is UofI.

It was even more confusing in the 80's cause for awhile, they both used the same I and U logo.

I believe they still use very similar IU and UI logos. The differences are that the I is higher in Indiana's IU logo, and the U is higher in Illinois UI logo. Also, Indiana dropped the dropshadow on their IU logo. I don't know if they dropped it on their academic IU logo though. Illinois' UI logo is pretty much strictly an academic logo.

Indiana/Illinois.  Not nearly the hatred (there is some there but it died with Bobby Knight's firing) but Indiana is IU and Illinois is UofI.

The difference between Illinois/Indiana and Kansas/Kentucky is that the university system in the Hoosier State is officially named INDIANA UNIVERSITY, and their neighbors to the east are the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS. I've never seen Indiana ever refer to itself as "The University of Indiana" - not on their web site, not on their letterhead, not even on their diplomas (I know a couple of IU grads). [i'm not disagreeing with you, pcgd, I am trying to clarify further why the IU/UofI situation differs from the KU/UK situation.]

Kansas and Kentucky are both "The University of [your state here]", and it's either born of local tradition or slick merchandising that this unofficial understanding has arisen.

Same deal with the University of Oklahoma, or "OU".

Hell, UNC's alma mater includes the line, "...shouting, N-C-U." Granted it makes the rhyme work, but still... :blink:

As for the wordmarks, #2 is the only one I couldn't bang out on my word processor in under 15 seconds, so I'll vote for that one.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived