Jerry Rice to Denver

LMU

I wonder if he's gonna steal #80 from Rod Smith like he did Steve Largent. :(

Considering Largent gave it to him... <_<

After Rice asked him if he could use it. Largent wasn't going to be an ass to the great Jerry Rice and say "No".

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understood the "mentoring" benefit of the older player.

I think some players love that stuff....born coaches and just start doing so. Take LeRoy Butler for example.

But the idea that Rice's renowned work ethic will rub off on anyone seems flawed. All I ever heard about was what a benefit it was to the young Wiz to get to play with MJ.....see how he prepares and stuff. Whatever. They were victim to his lockerroom "hilarity" that only he found funny and witnessed first hand how to score 25 by taking 30 shots. What a tool.

Rice can play as long as he wants. Thats cool wit me. I just don't think he's going to be focusing on helping out those who play ahead of him. He's never struck me as that kind of guy. He'll be fighting to simply get on the field.

I get the same vibe about BFavre with young Mr. Rogers. I'm sure Brett is a great teammate and guy to be around....but he's not like a technician or anything. You want Rogers learning HIS weird delivery or crazy decision? It's not like toughness can be taught. I just don't buy it.

Anyway, good luck to ya Jerry. Man Denver is going to be interesting to watch this year. Clarett? Ron Dayne? Rice?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

After Rice asked him if he could use it. Largent wasn't going to be an ass to the great Jerry Rice and say "No".

So if I ask to borrow $20 bucks and you say ok and give it to me, that's stealing?

So if I ask to borrow $20 bucks and you say ok and give it to me, that's stealing?

How the hell do you compare $20 to a retired number? <_<

6uXNWAo.png

The question still stands, Dirty. How did Rice "steal" the number if Largent gave it to him? You haven't answered that yet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I never understood the "mentoring" benefit of the older player.

I think some players love that stuff....born coaches and just start doing so. Take LeRoy Butler for example.

But the idea that Rice's renowned work ethic will rub off on anyone seems flawed. All I ever heard about was what a benefit it was to the young Wiz to get to play with MJ.....see how he prepares and stuff. Whatever. They were victim to his lockerroom "hilarity" that only he found funny and witnessed first hand how to score 25 by taking 30 shots. What a tool.

Rice can play as long as he wants. Thats cool wit me. I just don't think he's going to be focusing on helping out those who play ahead of him. He's never struck me as that kind of guy. He'll be fighting to simply get on the field.

True. But I think it's his work ethic, more than anything. If you're a guy like Ashley Lelie who has all the athletic ability in the world but once admitted you never gave any more than you had to and you get to see a guy like Jerry Rice, who was never the fastest or strongest, practice as hard as he does and run 40 yards after every catch like Jerry Rice does -- that might be the kick in the ass you need.

IUe6Hvh.png

Rice used the the number that was immortalized in Seattle by Steve Largent. IMO when a number is retired, it's never worn again by a different player, no matter how great they are. Rice should have done the right thing and simply declined the offer, and just wore his college number 88. In contrast, Karl Malone was offered Magic's #32 in L.A. before the 2003-04 season, but declined because he felt the number belonged to Magic and should stay that way.

And you are a moron if you are taking "steal" literally. Rice simply took Largent's retired number used it.

6uXNWAo.png

Rice used the the number that was immortalized in Seattle by Steve Largent.  IMO when a number is retired, it's never worn again by a different player, no matter how great they are.  Rice should have done the right thing and simply declined the offer, and just wore his college number 88. In contrast, Karl Malone was offered Magic's #32 in L.A. before the 2003-04 season, but declined because he felt the number belonged to Magic and should stay that way.

And you are a moron if you are taking "steal" literally.  Rice simply took Largent's retired number used it.

So how would Rice "steal" Rod's number?? Has Rod retired and has his number been retired?? And Itula Mili already had #88...I don't know if he could've changed.

So how would Rice "steal" Rod's number??  Has Rod retired and has his number been retired??

Because it's the number Rod has used for the past decade in Denver. Number 80 in Denver IS Rod Smith. It would be a shame if he handed it over it to a washed-up Jerry Rice.

And you are a moron if you are taking "steal" literally.

6uXNWAo.png

And you are a moron if you are taking "steal" literally.

You're the moron for using steal in the first place. You're a real douchebag.

Rice used the the number that was immortalized in Seattle by Steve Largent. IMO when a number is retired, it's never worn again by a different player, no matter how great they are. Rice should have done the right thing and simply declined the offer, and just wore his college number 88. In contrast, Karl Malone was offered Magic's #32 in L.A. before the 2003-04 season, but declined because he felt the number belonged to Magic and should stay that way.

And you are a moron if you are taking "steal" literally. Rice simply took Largent's retired number used it.

Oooh, moron. Good one. :rolleyes:

Sorry that you feel the need to resort to namecalling because of your poorly phrased sentence. But then if you actually knew how to write, you would have picked a better insult then moron so I guess I'll cut you some slack.

I'm a douchebag because I don't think Jerry Rice should take #80 from Rod Smith?!

Well not only that...just in general. I've never seen someone try to be so hard and call people so many names on a message board. Hey Billy Badass, take it easy.

I'm a douchebag because I don't think Jerry Rice should take #80 from Rod Smith?!

:censored: this.

I agree with you. Smith shouldnt give up his # to a washed up Jerry Rice.

Agreed 100%.

Thank You!

6uXNWAo.png

When Smith's #80 is retired THEN you can bitch about Jerry Rice using it. Until then, shut up and like it.

And Jerry can retire when he damn well feels like it. Just like Rickey Henderson. Though Jerry is much more competitive in the NFL than Rickey is in the MLB right now.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived