Jerry Rice to Denver

LMU

When Smith's #80 is retired THEN you can bitch about Jerry Rice using it. Until then, shut up and like it.

And Jerry can retire when he damn well feels like it. Just like Rickey Henderson. Though Jerry is much more competitive in the NFL than Rickey is in the MLB right now.

Yeah, at least Jerry is better than most WRs in the NFL right now *coughentireseahawksteam,peerlessprice,newyorkgiantscough*

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When is he going to retire hes done. Hes only hurting his legacy by playing more.

So he's not the greatest WR ever, and one of the greatest players ever, because he wants to prolong his career even as a shell of his former self? puh-lease. His records still stand regardless of how long he plays.

Besides, it's his legacy to tarnish -- and if playing the game he loves means ruining his legacy, I'm sure he's perfectly fine with that.

And in terms of his number... everyone who's saying Rod Smith shouldn't have to give up his number -- if he gives up the number, it'd be HIS choice. Nobody is going to force him to, so that debate is a nonissue. If he wants to give it up, he will. If he doesn't... he won't.

IUe6Hvh.png

When Smith's #80 is retired THEN you can bitch about Jerry Rice using it. Until then, shut up and like it.

And Jerry can retire when he damn well feels like it. Just like Rickey Henderson. Though Jerry is much more competitive in the NFL than Rickey is in the MLB right now.

Yeah, at least Jerry is better than most WRs in the NFL right now *coughentireseahawksteam,peerlessprice,newyorkgiantscough*

Do you seriously think Rice is better than Jackson?

Tell me you wouldn't like Jerry Rice as the second receiver on the Eagles...or about 20 teams in the NFL...he's not that washed up. Certainly better than frickin' Freddie Mitchell.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No matter where FredEx ends up next season, he will have better numbers than Rice.

Do you even follow the Broncos?

EDIT: If Rodney Harrison can catch more passes in the Super Bowl than Freddie Mitchell, then I'm 100% positive that a "washed up" Jerry Rice can catch more passes as the Broncos #2 or #3 WR during a whole season. Here's a tip for you, Dirty. Freddie Mitchell is a terrible receiver. Hence why no one has signed him.

Common sense is cheap, but apparently not available everywhere.

Tell me you wouldn't like Jerry Rice as the second receiver on the Eagles...or about 20 teams in the NFL...he's not that washed up. Certainly better than frickin' Freddie Mitchell.

Personally I would rather have Owens, Pinkston, Lewis, Brown and even Mitchell if he wasnt such an ass over Rice. The only way I would take Rice is if he would be our #5 WR. But he doesnt even play special teams so whats the point.

And he might not even make the team in Denver.

No matter where FredEx ends up next season, he will have better numbers than Rice.

Do you even follow the Broncos?

EDIT: If Rodney Harrison can catch more passes in the Super Bowl than Freddie Mitchell, then I'm 100% positive that a "washed up" Jerry Rice can catch more passes as the Broncos #2 or #3 WR during a whole season. Here's a tip for you, Dirty. Freddie Mitchell is a terrible receiver. Hence why no one has signed him.

Common sense is cheap, but apparently not available everywhere.

Teams dont want him because hes a cancer. He is a decent #3 WR though.

Personally I would rather have Owens, Pinkston, Lewis, Brown and even Mitchell if he wasnt such an ass over Rice. The only way I would take Rice is if he would be our #5 WR. But he doesnt even play special teams so whats the point.

And he might not even make the team in Denver.

Rice will make the team. Who does he have to beat out...Nate Jackson?? Triandos Luke?? Rice will be the #2 or #3 because everyone knows Rod Smith is the #1, and Lelie is average at best, and Darius Watts still is iffy, and so Rice will be right there on the depth chart. Rice IS NOT THAT BAD, even at age 89 or however old he is. Is he Rice of the 80s/90s?? No. Is he a great possession receiver that is a better route runner and smarter than 99% of the corners out there? Yep. Can he still make the big catch? Yep. Can he still score? Yep. And if you think otherwise, you're kidding yourself. And if you'd rather take Todd Pinkston over Rice, then you're really kidding yourself. Pinkston would much rather catch the plague than a football. Also Freddie Mitchell is terrible - there's no other way around it - and he's a cancer. If Randy Moss and Ricky Williams can find jobs, then I doubt teams are worried about "cancers". Freddie just doesn't have the talent - hell, "decent" number 3s catch more than 22 passes a year - and EagleFan, I have doubts about you if you'd rate him over Rice.

EDIT: Jerry Rice caught 23 passes in the final 9 games of the regular season last year as a Seahawk. When you consider the fact Rice had NO catches during the final two games of that 9 game stretch, that means Rice made 23 catches in seven games. Freddie Mitchell caught 22 passes ALL SEASON, and Freddie played in ALL 16 GAMES. Pinkston only caught six more passes than a "washed up" Jerry Rice last year...yep, count 'em, six more catches.

Rice had three games where he had more than 50 yards receiving, including one game where he had over 140. Freddie had three games of 50+ yards as well, but none topped his massive performance against the Bengals in that all-important last game of the year, where he had 76 yards on six catches. There were 9 games that Freddie caught at least one pass but had 31 yards or less (!), and four games which he played and didn't have any catches at all. Well maybe he's a red zone player, a short yardage guy...nope. 2 TDs in the regular season. Freddie didn't even have one touchdown until game 15. Hell, even a "washed up" Jerry Rice scored 3 TDs last year.

Todd Pinkston did do a lot better than Mitchell, as Pinkston actually had FIVE games (of 16 played) in which he had 50+ yards receiving (including two 100 yard games plus a 99 yard game). Todd Pinkston was in the endzone like nobody's business, as his accomplisment of ONE touchdown would indicate. In fact, Jerry Rice had the same amount of touchdowns in 2004 that Pinkston had in 2003 AND 2004 COMBINED. Of course, to top it all off, Pinkston had seven games in which he caught at least one pass but finished with less than 35 yards, and three games where he played and didn't catch anything, but that's no big deal for a #2/#1 receiver, right? EagleFan, you'd rather have Pinkston over Rice?????

You could argue that maybe the reason the numbers are so low for these two Eagles is that McNabb wasn't as good a passer as previous years. Nope. McNabb had the second most completions of his career in 2004 with 300 (in 15 games - he sat out the last one), and threw for the most yardage in his career. Hmmm. So if it's not McNabb's fault...

In 63 regular season games, and 9 (?) playoff games, Freddie has only had 6 games HIS ENTIRE CAREER (including playoffs) where he had more than 50 yards receiving. And people think he's decent...wow.

I think Jerry Rice will win the #3 spot behind Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie, who will have a very good year. Darius Watts was pretty inconsistent last year at the 3 spot, so I think Rice will beat him out. Rice can still put up 40+ catches. He put up, 65 or so in Oakland 2 years ago, and 30 last year where he wasn't in good situations.

And actually, Eaglefan, teams don't want Freddy because he's simply no good. Hell, the Broncos turned him down and they brought in Clarett and the Browns d-line from last year -- they don't seem to be a team that's judging character too much, to me.

IUe6Hvh.png

I mean really, if the Seahawks had thrown the ball to Jerry on that last play in their wildcard game, they would've been the sacrificial lambs to the Falcons instead of the Rams. Because unlike the entire Seahawks, Giants, Falcons receiving corps, & Freddie Mitchell, HE CAN ACTUALLY BE COUNTED ON TO CATCH.

i dont think Rice is as washed up as people make him out to be. Isn't CATCHING the ball the most important part of being a WR? Jerry can still do that with the best of them. Certainly better than anyone on the Seahawks. Remember the one-hander he made for a TD last year?

Sure, he isn't as fast or quick as he used to be, but I highly doubt he has forgotten how to run routes or catch the ball. He's a better receiver than Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell and could be a great #3 or decent #2 on almost any NFL team.

Flame Of Atlanta made a good point, in that if it would have been Jerry in the endzone when time ran out in last years SEA-STL Wildcard Game instead of Jackson, the Seahawks would have moved on, and I bet a lot of you wouldn't be saying he sucks.

If Rice is still a good #2 or #3 why dont you think anyone but Denver wanted him?

Pinkston was also a #2 guy playing opposite one of the 3 best WR's in the league while Rice was in situations where he couldn't catch the ball much.

The reason nobody wanted Jerry Rice is because of his age. If you're a team that is expected to contend for the Super Bowl, maybe a guy like him won't put you over the top. And if you're not a team that's going to compete, why sign a 40+ year old rather than go young?

Mike Shanahan probably realizes that he can add some depth to the WR position and get a guy that they can get some production out of and that can have his legendary work ethic rub off onto some of the Broncos young WR's much like it did with Terrell Owens.

IUe6Hvh.png

"I know I heard some fans saying I should give up the number. ... That feels like somebody saying, 'Hey man, let your neighbor use your wife.'" - Denver wide receiver Rod Smith, on Sirius NFL Radio, on the prospect of giving up his No. 80 to Jerry Rice.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Ok, I'll chime in here with a little bias since I had the pleasure of watching him in person for over 10 years. Jerry's offseason training is more than some pros do. In an interview for ESPN's SportsCentury, former teammate Ricky Watters joined Rice one year. As a part of Jerry's regimine, they run a steep 4 mile trail. Once reaching the top, Jerry said, "let's go." In reference of heading back down without a rest. Watters said, "go down? We just got here!" Granted this was back in 1994. However, Jerry was 32? at the time. Ricky was 23. Rice continues that portion of the workout, and has had guys, including some guy named Owens (in his early years in SF) join him to stay beyond fit.

My point is, yeah he's lost a step, BUT, still make the catches, make the plays, and well, he is a gamer and won't give up on anything unlike some receivers who don't run out the play because they THINK its not gonna get to them, or dare I say afraid of getting hit. I can see Jerry as a #3 receiver behind Smith and Lelie. In 2002 and 2003, he led the Raiders in receptions and in 2002 had another 1,000 yard season and had 869 in 2003. In 2004 if it weren't for the diminished role in Oakland or Seattle (why throw to the Dropsie Twins?) But for being the #4 guy, 20 catches, 400+ yards, 3 TD's isn't that bad. He also had his highest yards-per-reception average since 1995 with over 14 yards per catch.

For the record, Jerry shouldn't wear 80. For the record, he isn't going to as explained in an article on denverbroncos.com. It looks like it's... for now #89.

Notebook: 80 Still Smith's

By Andrew Mason

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- If Jerry Rice and Head Coach Mike Shanahan have anything to say about it, No. 80 will remain the domain of Rod Smith.

Smith -- who has become the franchise's all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns -- has known no other number since moving up to the Broncos' active roster in 1995 after a year of matriculation on the practice squad. Rice chose to respect a man who's meant as much to the Broncos' receiving history as he did to the 49ers, and swiftly chose not to pursue asking Smith to change numbers for his sake.

"I?m not going to go in there and try to fight for that jersey," Rice said. "Rod is the guy there and I think he deserves to keep that number."

The notion of anyone other than Smith wearing No. 80 struck Shanahan as preposterous.

"What Rod Smith has done for this organization and what he means to this organization -- the Super Bowls, just the way he handled himself -- Jerry Rice would never bring it up and I'm sure Rod Smith would never turn it over," Shanahan said. "What No. 80 has done for us is to me, unprecedented. He's a leader both on and off the football field. Jerry Rice has enough class not to ask for it, and Rod Smith, to me, would be silly to even give that number up."

When Rice moved up the West Coast from Oakland to Seattle last October, much hulabaloo was made over the fact that Rice kept his familiar number from his 16 seasons in San Francisco and three-plus campaigns in Oakland. Eighty had not been worn by a Seahawk since the number was retired when Hall of Famer Steve Largent ended his record-breaking 14-season career on Dec. 23, 1989.

But Rice has said that he only took the number with Largent's blessing.

"I had a chance to talk to Steve and it?s an honor for me to wear that number 80 out of respect to him," Rice said when he first joined Seattle last October.

All that begs the question of what number Rice will wear. The number in his days at Mississppi Valley State, 88, belongs to Jeb Putzier. All the numbers from 10 through 19 are spoken for; 18 is retired for quarterback Frank Tripucka and the others have been distributed. Of the numbers in the 80s, only 89 is available.

During next week's team camp, the July mini-camp and at training camp, Rice could wear a single-digit number, since NFL numerical restrictions don't apply until the regular season. Should he make the 53-man roster, Rice would have to change at final cuts, as numerous Broncos have done over the years.

But for now, Rice isn't sure what number he'll don.

"I?m trying to sort through that right now," he said. "When I get there I think my decision is going to be made. Then I'm going to put the jersey on and hit the practice field."

Jerry takes 89 or some kind of exception will have to be made then.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Ok, I'll chime in here with a little bias since I had the pleasure of watching him in person for over 10 years. Jerry's offseason training is more than some pros do. In an interview for ESPN's SportsCentury, former teammate Ricky Watters joined Rice one year. As a part of Jerry's regimine, they run a steep 4 mile trail. Once reaching the top, Jerry said, "let's go." In reference of heading back down without a rest. Watters said, "go down? We just got here!" Granted this was back in 1994. However, Jerry was 32? at the time. Ricky was 23. Rice continues that portion of the workout, and has had guys, including some guy named Owens (in his early years in SF) join him to stay beyond fit.

My point is, yeah he's lost a step, BUT, still make the catches, make the plays, and well, he is a gamer and won't give up on anything unlike some receivers who don't run out the play because they THINK its not gonna get to them, or dare I say afraid of getting hit. I can see Jerry as a #3 receiver behind Smith and Lelie. In 2002 and 2003, he led the Raiders in receptions and in 2002 had another 1,000 yard season and had 869 in 2003. In 2004 if it weren't for the diminished role in Oakland or Seattle (why throw to the Dropsie Twins?) But for being the #4 guy, 20 catches, 400+ yards, 3 TD's isn't that bad. He also had his highest yards-per-reception average since 1995 with over 14 yards per catch.

For the record, Jerry shouldn't wear 80. For the record, he isn't going to as explained in an article on denverbroncos.com. It looks like it's... for now #89.

Notebook: 80 Still Smith's

By Andrew Mason

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- If Jerry Rice and Head Coach Mike Shanahan have anything to say about it, No. 80 will remain the domain of Rod Smith.

Smith -- who has become the franchise's all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns -- has known no other number since moving up to the Broncos' active roster in 1995 after a year of matriculation on the practice squad. Rice chose to respect a man who's meant as much to the Broncos' receiving history as he did to the 49ers, and swiftly chose not to pursue asking Smith to change numbers for his sake.

"I?m not going to go in there and try to fight for that jersey," Rice said. "Rod is the guy there and I think he deserves to keep that number."

The notion of anyone other than Smith wearing No. 80 struck Shanahan as preposterous.

"What Rod Smith has done for this organization and what he means to this organization -- the Super Bowls, just the way he handled himself -- Jerry Rice would never bring it up and I'm sure Rod Smith would never turn it over," Shanahan said. "What No. 80 has done for us is to me, unprecedented. He's a leader both on and off the football field. Jerry Rice has enough class not to ask for it, and Rod Smith, to me, would be silly to even give that number up."

When Rice moved up the West Coast from Oakland to Seattle last October, much hulabaloo was made over the fact that Rice kept his familiar number from his 16 seasons in San Francisco and three-plus campaigns in Oakland. Eighty had not been worn by a Seahawk since the number was retired when Hall of Famer Steve Largent ended his record-breaking 14-season career on Dec. 23, 1989.

But Rice has said that he only took the number with Largent's blessing.

"I had a chance to talk to Steve and it?s an honor for me to wear that number 80 out of respect to him," Rice said when he first joined Seattle last October.

All that begs the question of what number Rice will wear. The number in his days at Mississppi Valley State, 88, belongs to Jeb Putzier. All the numbers from 10 through 19 are spoken for; 18 is retired for quarterback Frank Tripucka and the others have been distributed. Of the numbers in the 80s, only 89 is available.

During next week's team camp, the July mini-camp and at training camp, Rice could wear a single-digit number, since NFL numerical restrictions don't apply until the regular season. Should he make the 53-man roster, Rice would have to change at final cuts, as numerous Broncos have done over the years.

But for now, Rice isn't sure what number he'll don.

"I?m trying to sort through that right now," he said. "When I get there I think my decision is going to be made. Then I'm going to put the jersey on and hit the practice field."

Jerry takes 89 or some kind of exception will have to be made then.

Hm... 89 is Dwayne Carswells number, according to NFL.com -- but I guess the Broncos would be the ones to know for sure.

Ashley Lelie said if he wanted 85, he could have it, about a week ago. I wouldn't be suprised to see him get 88 from Jeb Putzier.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived