Somthing that I have been bothered by

Yankj1

Now I do not hate alt jerseys, especially when they are only worn a couple of times. One thing however bothers me about them in the MLB, it's when both teams are both wearing their alts. It makes it look like a spring training game. MLB should really make a rule where, when the home team chooses to wear their alt, the road team cannot also wear their alt. I am specifially talking about solid color alt. uni's This just happened yesterday during the Chicago Cubs/White Sox game, and today during the Reds and Indians game.

capt.jpg

Does this bother anyone else?

I agree completely. Plus, perhaps they could limit them to Sunday's only. The worst is two teams with dark colored Alt's playing. ugh. Some sort of league standardization would be appreciated.

I personally don't have a problem with it, so long as both team's alts aren't too similar in colour. If you can clearly tell who is who, say if one team wears blue and one red, then no worries. If say the Brewers are wearing their dark blue alts against the Mets wearing their black alts, that's not an ideal situation. But if they both want to their alts and they are easily discernible, go for it, I say.

But it looks so softball-ish when both are in alts. Granted, it is more palitable when their colors contrast. I'd rather they be a little more "special" like when the NFL does it. The cubs where the blue tops practically every other game. I'm so used to the White sox whereing the black jersey, it seems more like their regular jersey than the white pinstripes.

obviously I'm in chicago, cranium

blue and red contrast much more than white and grey :) i have no problems with it...

but then again, most teams i actually prefer their alternates, in baseball.

I also agree with teams wearing the alternate shirts too much. I know it is all about selling jerseys and in many cases, I have heard of the starting pitcher will choosing which shirt the team will wear for the game.

I don't believe MLB will ever make a rule as to how many times a team can wear their alternate jerseys as done in the NFL. In my opinion, I think teams should be allowed to wear the alternate for one game during the week. My opinion. I know others will strongly disagree.

In 1995 the Jays faced the Royals, both wearing blue alternates with white script/numbers.

It was neat

Toronto Blue Jays vs. Kansas City Royals - June 11, 1995:

How about that, my memory DOES work :)

I have heard of the starting pitcher will choosing which shirt the team will wear for the game.

I don't believe MLB will ever make a rule as to how many times a team can wear their alternate jerseys as done in the NFL.

Yeah, it's tradition that the starting pitcher gets to choose what uni the team will wear.

What is the NFL's rule about wearing alternate unis?

I have heard of the starting pitcher will choosing which shirt the team will wear for the game.

I don't believe MLB will ever make a rule as to how many times a team can wear their alternate jerseys as done in the NFL.

Yeah, it's tradition that the starting pitcher gets to choose what uni the team will wear.

What is the NFL's rule about wearing alternate unis?

You can only wear three jerseys a year, and you have to designate when you want to wear it. But if you wear more than 3 {like the Saints did a couple of years ago when they wore their home, away, alt, & a throwback in the same year}, then the orginization gets fined. Stupid rule, IMO, but I guess it's needed to keep the alts from running wild like they do in the MLB.

adding to thaFlame's post, if a team can clear it with the league, it can wear both an alternate and a throwback in the same season (as the Lions are going to do this year). The Saints' problem was that they didn't clear the throwbacks with the league, they just went ahead and did it. a damn shame too, cus they did one helluva job of recreating their original uniform.

Archived