You know a team is cheap when ...

slats7

I like the nameplate much better. Looks much more professional and detailed as all names would look more similar.

When I see individual letters for players names I think of iron ons like you see on cheap replica jerseys and very often on cheap uniform looking t shirts.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the nameplate much better. Looks much more professional and detailed as all names would look more similar.

Here's what it says to me: "You're not important enough to merit sewn on letters, even though a Singer sewing machine could fix you up in ten minutes or less. In fact, if we trade or release you, we're gonna recycle your jersey because we're so effing lazy and cheap."

Sharks do use nameplates. I think the original idea for the nameplates is when teams would go through players and couldn't afford a new jersey with numbers and name altogether, it was simpler to take off the nameplate and apply a new one on. In the case for the twins, they do it because their names are in navy and with the navy pinstripes, it gets lost.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

But dispite the nameplate thing, I'm doubting very many major league teams, if any, do recycle their jerseys. So its kinda a mute point.

Actually Pat, most of 'em do recycle them. Sometimes the Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats (the teams in my area) have events where they sell off old uniforms and equipment; and one of the things the Bulls always have available are name patches - and uniforms that have more holes between the shoulder blades than a piece of swiss cheese.

nav-logo.png

But dispite the nameplate thing, I'm doubting very many major league teams, if any, do recycle their jerseys.  So its kinda a mute point.

Actually Pat, most of 'em do recycle them. Sometimes the Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats (the teams in my area) have events where they sell off old uniforms and equipment; and one of the things the Bulls always have available are name patches - and uniforms that have more holes between the shoulder blades than a piece of swiss cheese.

You think the majors do that? I realize with the number of changes that a minor league team has its neccesary to have the nameplate and change.

But dispite the nameplate thing, I'm doubting very many major league teams, if any, do recycle their jerseys.  So its kinda a mute point.

You think the majors do that? I realize with the number of changes that a minor league team has its neccesary to have the nameplate and change.

i remember a few years ago, with the dallas stars, i forget which player wore which number first... but sami helenius and dave manson both came, left, and came back again at different times within a 2-3 year span.

they kept alternating jersey numbers... 4 and 6. they both wore both, and it had something to do with the fact that they wore the same jersey, but with different nameplates at a certain time.

i also remember hearing somewhere that craig hartsburg only wore #4 with the north stars because that was the number of the player he replaced in the lineup... but that was years and years ago.

Your example pic was of the Phillies' John Lieber wearing his away jersey. Their home jersey doesn't have a nameplate, just like nearly all (well all but the Twins) teams that have pinstripes. I honestly do like the non-nameplate look better myself, and I was disapointed when the Phillies went to nameplates on their roads in 96 or 97 (whenever Majestic came along) but I got over it real quick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 things:

1. My inaugural season Thrasher's game-worn jersey has no nameplate... directly on jersey

2. Pat, the term is "moot' point, not mute.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

2 things:

1. My inaugural season Thrasher's game-worn jersey has no nameplate... directly on jersey

2. Pat, the term is "moot' point, not mute.

The point could be mute, if everyone stopped talking about it :)

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Here's what it says to me: "You're not important enough to merit sewn on letters, even though a Singer sewing machine could fix you up in ten minutes or less. In fact, if we trade or release you, we're gonna recycle your jersey because we're so effing lazy and cheap."

This thread is hilarious. I never thought it was possible to have such a deep hatred for NAMEPLATES. Does this keep you up at night for hours on end? If your favorite team was to start using nameplates, would you trash your house in anger? Get over it.

I ordered a couple authentic NHL jerseys last year, and on each, the letters on the back were sewn through the nameplate AND the back of the jersey. So, what they did was first sew the nameplate on, THEN sew the letters on, completely negating the purpose of the nameplate. I thought that was strange... but I was far from throwing a hissyfit over it.

Oh, and one more thing... last year I bought a home Red Sox jersey on eBay that had been personalized with a name and number. Of course the Sox don't wear names at home, so I removed it. I'm glad they used a nameplate, because it was much easier to remove that way than if they had sewn the letters straight on. Now, you can't tell the nameplate was ever there.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

I am fairly certain all but one NHL team uses a nameplate (Red Wings)

And the Wings do use a nameplate in the preseason.

http://www.detroithockey.net/multimedia/574.php

I personally don't mind nameplates, but what pisses me off is when I try to buy a replica Wings jersey and the bastards put a nameplate on it. You pretty much have to get them customized yourself now 'cause just about every pre-customized replica available incorrectly uses a nameplate.

You know a team is cheap when they 1) wear black and gold 2) either play baseball or hockey in the Steel City.

:notworthy::P:notworthy:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

... they sew the player's name to a piece of cloth instead of sewing each letter to the uniform itself. It looks so bush league.

So the Yankees must be really cheap. They don't even use letters on the back.....

Hey, they have to find someway to pay A-Rod :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I always look at it as just another component of the uniform design. You do notice on lighter uniforms the outline of a nameplate, some you don't.

Until reading this thread, I thought the only teams that didn't use a plate where teams with arching names and the Red Wings. I don't see anything wrong with it personally. They put the name on a seperate piece of cloth before attaching it to the uniform. So what? Maybe they want to square up the name on the sweater so it looks more professional, rather then end up making it lopsided or messing up, then try to fix it.

Personally, I don't mind my jerseys having a nameplate. It's not something I think about or that anyone else that I know thiniks about. it's just another element of the uniform. But so many pro teams use them, it doesn't make sence to me to call them bush league for having them

Archived