NFL to L A & O C?

From today's Los Angeles Times:

As part of a piece by staff writer Sam Farmer...

Then there is this: The NFL still views the L.A. area as a two-team market, as it was when it was home to the Raiders and Rams.

So league executives are weighing the merits of developing two sites, one in L.A., the other in Orange County, as well as the possibility of having teams share a stadium.

As part of a Q & A format side-bar by Sam Farmer...

Q: So will it be the L.A. Saints or L.A. Chargers?

A: Maybe Both. The Saints have broken off negotiations with Louisiana over how much money the state should chip in to keep the team in New Orleans. Clearly, Saint owner Tom Benson is trying to keep his options open - or at least scare the state into handing over more money. His attorney, Stanley Rosenberg, recently told the San Antonio Express-News that Benson had fielded several offers for the team, including one from Los Angeles. Louisiana officials are making a last-ditch effort to arrange a meeting between Benson and Governor Kathleen Blanco before the legislative session ends next month.

The Chargers' new lease at Qualcomm Stadium allows them to talk with other cities starting January 1, 2007, and to leave San Diego any time after the 2008 season, provided the team pays off the rest of the debt on the stadium. If the Chargers don't get their new stadium initiative on next year's ballot, they'll be looking to leave. Could they be bound for Orange County? Consider this: Among the biggest contributors to Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle's campaign fund is Chargers owner Alex Spanos.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad the Arizona Cardinals will be having a new stadium. Arizona and New Orleans could have moved to LA. Thus you would have the Angels, Saints and Cardinals in the same market :D

I saw, I came, I left.

So if the Saints move to Los Angeles and move back to the NFC West, what happens next?

Will it be the Cowboys moving to the NFC South and the Rams moving to the NFC East?

OR

Will it be the Rams moving to the NFC South?

YOZXkBG.png?1

If it were me, I'd move the Carolina Panthers into the NFC East, with the Dallas Cowboys and St. Louis Rams moving into the NFC South.

However, if the Saints do relocate to Los Angeles, the most likely realignment scenario is that the St. Louis Rams and New Orleans would swap divisions... with the Cowboys remaining exactly where they are in the NFC East.

Well, from the suburb of Anaheim's perspective they have no choice but to get a football team. The only thing they can build on that land is a football stadium. Anything else and it would need the Angels (you know the team the town had filed a law suit against) permission to build there. As is I have heard that the Angels are against a football stadium there so they may try to block a team moving there some other how. Plus that would help them drop the Of Anaheim part. But if they don't get a team Anaheim officials shot themselves in the foot and won't be able to cash in very valuable land because of their ego drivin lawsuit.

Also, another thing I would assume the NFL would want the OC team to be called LA.

the LA Chargers would kick ass, that would be the perfect time and excuse to switch to those sweet powder blue unis. But the Saints should stay right where they are so they can make money and lose more football games.

Also, another thing I would assume the NFL would want the OC team to be called LA.

Perhaps. If so, the NFL could negotiate a right to use "Los Angeles" as the team's place-name as part of a new lease... as opposed to claiming a legal loophole in a pre-existing lease gives them the right to effectively replace Anaheim with Los Angeles.

LA could not sustain 2 teams before. When it was just 1 the Rams they had strong support but the Raiders shifined much of that especially with the Rams in Anaheim. The Riaders meanwhile never got sellouts and both left.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So if the Saints move to Los Angeles and move back to the NFC West, what happens next?

Will it be the Cowboys moving to the NFC South and the Rams moving to the NFC East?

OR

Dallas will never leave the NFC East as long as their rivals, the Redskins, Eagles, and Giants are there. If the Saints moved to LA, I would imagine STL would probably get shipped to the NFC South.

6uXNWAo.png

The Kansas City Chiefs could move to LA. Clark Hunt son of Lamar Hunt said the other day, if improvements are not made to Arrowhead or a new stadium built, he might be forced to move the team.

Chiefs current lease runs through 2015, but they have an out clause in 2007. The out clause stems from a provision that states if Arrowhead and Kauffman stadium are not "State-of-the-art", they can get out of the lease.

Both stadiums need imporvements after 30 years. Kauffman needs new plumbing and electrical. Both need better restroom amenities.

The lease also had called for a seperate structure for a Royals Hall of Fame. Currently they house their Hall of fame in a glass both in the stadium.

Something for Kansas Citians to think about.

OR

Dallas will never leave the NFC East as long as their rivals, the Redskins, Eagles, and Giants are there. If the Saints moved to LA, I would imagine STL would probably get shipped to the NFC South.

I think that'd work for all involved. Renewing the LA-SF rivalry would be a good thing. As far as the Rams, they would simply be renewing divisional rivalries with Atlanta and Carolina from the old NFC West. Plus, the Rams and Bucs have had a bit of a rivalry dating back to the 2000 NFC title game and several memorable subsequent Monday Night Football tilts.

If the Saints move to LA, I'd want them to change the name. Let New Orleans keep the rights to the name of Saints, perhaps for the 50th expansion team in 2055. :D

I wondered what kind of name that would be suited for LA. So I researched a little if Los Angeles had a pro team before they had the Rams and Raiders. There were a couple of teams in the 30s and 40s.

Los Angeles Bulldogs, American Football League in the 30s.

Los Angeles Dons, All-American Football League in the 40s.

the only thing fanwise that will bea hinderence down here is that so many people still consider themselves part of Raider Nation down here even though they've been gone for a decade. We even had a Raider store last year at the local mall. Just makes me wonder if enough fans will finally stop their denial and support the new team.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived