Illustrator Help

pcgd

2 questions:

1-how can multiple strokes be made around an object without having to create a new path?

2-how would one make vertically arched text?

1. you can't do multiple strokes without making a new path...best way to do it is either object->path->offset path or to copy the object, paste behind and stroke the new object.

2. object->envelope distort->make with warp. there are several settings that you can manipulate to the your desired effect. after you are done, make sure you expand appearance (object->expand appearance).

You can make multiple strokes on the same object. It's difficult to explain, but it involves the Appearance palette.

Draw a box, for example. Give it a fill and a stroke. Now open the Appearance palette. You should have an item called "path", and underneath, two other listings of "Stroke" and "Fill". You can select one of those listings and drag around in that palette, just like the layers palette. It treats each attribute of the object as its own layer.

Now, click on the stoke layer so it's highlighted, and click on the icon at the bottom of the palette (right next to the little trash can) that looks like a new layer. It's "Duplicate Selected Item". Exactly as it says, your object now has two strokes of the same weight and color.

When each specific item in the appearance palette is selected, you can edit the fill or stroke as you would any fill or stroke, in their own respective palettes.

This method also works for stroking text, but through trial and error I've found it a bit clunky.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

okay, so then if a logos colors are pantone, is there a specific way to find out exactly what the colors are?

Only if the file you're getting the color picker samples from is a vector graphic. If it's a jpg, gif, png, etc (anything but a vector graphic), the colors will be shown as either RGB or CMYK.

OK, I've got one...

I've converted a jpeg to eps using Adobe Streamline. I opened it up in Illustrator and want to colour it correctly. However, it seems to be in grayscale, and I don't know how to convert it to RGB.

eagle.JPG

Bethel%20Logo%20Text.JPG

Now, should I just attempt to colour the eagle head alone (I have that vectorized), or is there another way to do it in Illustrator? I have an inkling to just keep the logo vectorized, and colour it at will in Photoshop, but I know there's a better way. Thanks for the help in advance.

*DISCLAIMER* I know that this is the logo used by Boston College until 2004, but the school I work at has used it for at least 2 years. They got the logo from one of those "school spirit" companies that sell bumper stickers, window clings, etc. Considering I'm just a teacher, not a graphic artist or trademark attorney by trade, I'm not sure of the legality of all of that, but I guess if the company's selling the logo, then it's kosher. Just don't shoot the messenger. ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

It's always better to trace over images in illustrator rather than use a tracing tool to do the work for you if you want a really crisp, accurate image. You can see where Streamline messes up. The eyes aren't quite round, the lines aren't as smooth, etc. It takes an extra hour, but it's worth it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's always better to trace over images in illustrator rather than use a tracing tool to do the work for you if you want a really crisp, accurate image. You can see where Streamline messes up. The eyes aren't quite round, the lines aren't as smooth, etc. It takes an extra hour, but it's worth it.

I was worried you say that. :)

BTW, do most of you just use a mouse, or do you use a digitizer. I've tried my hand at tracing with a mouse a smidge, and the results weren't pretty. :(

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Using the mouse is the best way. It offers the most manual control. Use this tutorial and thank pcgd for it. :Ppatrickcummings.net tutorials

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I would highly suggest using that tutorial pcgd made. I used it when I started tracing and vectoring my own logos and it was a God sent. If you try it out and still can't get the hang of it I would be more than happy to manually trace it and put it into a vector format that you can then color anyway you want.

PopHeading-1.gif

I would highly suggest using that tutorial pcgd made. I used it when I started tracing and vectoring my own logos and it was a God sent. If you try it out and still can't get the hang of it I would be more than happy to manually trace it and put it into a vector format that you can then color anyway you want.

Well, I'm going to have to ask for your assistance. I've been working on it since I did the tutorial (I did better than I thought I would), but here's the best of my attempts. It also includes the base image faded in the background. Give me another year or so and I think I'll have it! :)

besttry.GIF

Many thanks in advance.

Well, I'm going to have to ask for your assistance. I've been working on it since I did the tutorial (I did better than I thought I would), but here's the best of my attempts. It also includes the base image faded in the background. Give me another year or so and I think I'll have it! :)

besttry.GIF

Many thanks in advance.

Here's another bit of advice:

Look for symmetry in the object you're tracing. It will save time, and make sides even (vector-wise), instead of just eyeballing it.

Looking at your eagle head (actually, Boston College's eagle ;) ), I can see that with the exception of the top left corner of the eagle's feathers, both sides are basically a mirror image. So, you could draw a guide down the middle of the logo, lining up with the point of the beak. This way, you would only have to concentrate on drawing one half of the logo. Then, once you have that done, use the "flip" tool to duplicate and flip your paths, then select the endpoints, and join.

This is just to get the basics down, obviously. One you become comfortable with the "flip" tool, you could work on the specific paths and contours, and then adding the other paths that finish up the rest of the drawing.

Can anyone get me a bigger and clearer version of the logo? I will be happy to do the vectoring but the logo on this site is pretty small and fuzzy. Any help would be appreciated.

I will try to get this to you between the middle of the week and the weekend if I am able to get a better quality logo to work with. I am pretty busy with finals coming up but I will do my best to get it to you asap.

PopHeading-1.gif

OK, I've been picking away at another try, using the oval and mirroring techniques you guys suggested, and here's what I've got:

newtry.JPG

It's a smidge off here and there, I know, but that's about what I was aiming at for this logo. One last thing I'd like to do is put a border around the entire logo in that colour of blue I have there (Pantone uncoated process 213-1), but I don't know how to create that around all the layers. Alternatively, I just thought about making a semicircle around the head, and put another oval in the back to create the border, which sounds easier imo.

Thanks for all the help folks. I wish I could be doing something more original for my school, but noooo, we have to use what the guy at the sporting goods store said we could use. I guess there's always next time... <_<

It's a smidge off here and there, I know, but that's about what I was aiming at for this logo. One last thing I'd like to do is put a border around the entire logo in that colour of blue I have there (Pantone uncoated process 213-1), but I don't know how to create that around all the layers. Alternatively, I just thought about making a semicircle around the head, and put another oval in the back to create the border, which sounds easier imo.

If you want to create a border around all the logo, here's what you can do:

Copy all elements of your logo, and paste it over.

Do an Add to shape area, in the Pathfinder palette, then hit the Expand button. You should see that it covered up all of your logo.

Send the result behind your logo, then do an Object->Path->Offset path... to create your border.

You might have to play with the thickness, but the result will fit perfectly on the logo.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about saving files. Is there an easy way to do it? I normally just copy the image and paste it into photoshop, but the blues always turn out a funny shade. Is there some easier way that I am overlooking?

Double check to see if your color formats are the same for both applications. In general, CMYK (for print) flattens colors that are more vibrant in RGB (for monitors/screens).

So, if you have a nice vibrant blue in Illustrator, and your document (not necessarily your color itself) is RGB, when you paste it into a CMYK Photoshop document, the color will shift.

There are also be subtle little color differences among the same formats (Adobe RGB vs. Apple RGB, etc.), which the user "Pantone" can expand on, if you ask him nicely :)