Illustrator Help

pcgd

You could convert your shape (or text) to outlines, draw a line across where you want the division line to go, select all, and go to the Pathfinder palette and select "divide" (lower left option). You'd still have to ungroup and do a lot of Direct Selecting (open arrow).

The other way involves creating a mask and using the layers palette. Draw a box the width of your text (or shape), make sure your text/shape is the front-most layer, select both, then go to Objects -> Clipping Mask. Your text should be the masking layer, the box should be the shape that is going into the mask (so it's partly viewable).

It might sound awkward, but if you need to use the Illustrator Help tools, it should make more sense.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I have a logo... a simple design that I slapped together in Illustrator 9.0 and which one of my organization's teams will be using this fall.

Having a more diverse set of fonts on my system than my screen printer (he's got about 300... I have about 2,000), he's asked me to do something with the Illustrator file, "save it..." a certain way so that if he didn't have the font, he could still "match it" (his words, not mine, but (i) I can't remember what he said, and obviously as a result (ii) have absolutely no clue how to actually do what he's asking. I'd feel like an idiot about this, except that the discussion was months ago, and I can't remember what I did this morning let alone in February.

I realize this is a longshot to ask having so little information, but does this scenario ring enough of a bell with anyone that they can advise me on (i) what my screen printer was trying to get me to do, and (ii) how I should go about it?

nav-logo.png

Mac, for every text item you have, you could right-click and create an outline with it. This way the font won't be exported but the outline will be, so there won't be any confusion.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a decently simple question:

I have made a blue striped background for a signature I am making. I want to take a logo and put it on top of the stripes, but the logo has a white background to it. How do I get rid of the white background so the logo goes right on top of the stripes?

I have made a blue striped background for a signature I am making. I want to take a logo and put it on top of the stripes, but the logo has a white background to it. How do I get rid of the white background so the logo goes right on top of the stripes?

either delete the background, or combine [ctrl+8] the outermost shape with the area you want clear (or stripe to show thru).

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

OK, This is probably a stupid question, but...... I am trying to do my first football uniform concept. I was wondering how you guys get the logos onto the template and warp them to look good on the 3-D helmet?

MegatronSig2.jpg

Hi everybody

I just got photoshop and illustrator from my friend today. I've been making concepts and logos on paint which is so simple and easy to use. I have no idea where to start on illustrator.

Its kindof late now so I'm gonna wait til tommorrow to try the tutorials. But are they good?

I was playing around with the pen tool because I've read it very important but I don't know how you can trace a logo and make it so perfect.

I'm hoping someone can help me out.Thanks

yankees-1.png

Hi everybody

I just got photoshop and illustrator from my friend today. I've been making concepts and logos on paint which is so simple and easy to use. I have no idea where to start on illustrator.

Its kindof late now so I'm gonna wait til tommorrow to try the tutorials. But are they good?

I was playing around with the pen tool because I've read it very important but I don't know how you can trace a logo and make it so perfect.

I'm hoping someone can help me out.Thanks

I don't have euther of those but here is a tutorial that is recommended by the best.

Tutorial

DRew

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Can someone explain how one would go about bevelling/embossing typeface in Illustrator, not unlike the Anaheim Angels 'A'? Bevelling manually, especially for wordmarks, is a long and tedious process and I was just wondering if anyone knew a faster method. I'm relatively new to the program and if anyone would be so kind as to tell me, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

I think the best way around this would be to make your base woordmark/logo in illustrator. Then, bring it into photoshop and apply some bevel styling to it as a template for re-tracing in illustrator. You would only need to trace the shading part in illustrator and intersect the traaced shading with the original logo outline to make sure that the edges match up. then again, illustrator cs has some 3d effects integrated now. Choose your own adventure. I would go the photoshop route just because there are a number of different contours you can use for the bevel.

Can someone explain how one would go about bevelling/embossing typeface in Illustrator, not unlike the Anaheim Angels 'A'? Bevelling manually, especially for wordmarks, is a long and tedious process and I was just wondering if anyone knew a faster method. I'm relatively new to the program and if anyone would be so kind as to tell me, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

I think the best way around this would be to make your base woordmark/logo in illustrator. Then, bring it into photoshop and apply some bevel styling to it as a template for re-tracing in illustrator. You would only need to trace the shading part in illustrator and intersect the traaced shading with the original logo outline to make sure that the edges match up. then again, illustrator cs has some 3d effects integrated now. Choose your own adventure. I would go the photoshop route just because there are a number of different contours you can use for the bevel.

do it in illustrator, use this tutorial.

http://www.letterheadfonts.com/tipsandtric...cts/index.shtml

other great tuts for text: http://www.letterheadfonts.com/tipsandtricks/

OK, This is probably a stupid question, but...... I am trying to do my first football uniform concept. I was wondering how you guys get the logos onto the template and warp them to look good on the 3-D helmet?

Actually, this is something I find easier to do in PhotoShop.

- Make sure your helmet and logo are on different layers and that the logo is resized to about how big you want it on the helmet.

- Rotate the logo 20 degrees (depending on which way the helmet is facing) and drag it up into the to left (or top right is the helmet is facing left) corner of your canvas.

- Use the Spherize filter (Filter -> Distort -> Spherize...). You may have to cancel and drag the logo around a few times to get it exactly how you want it.

- Adjust the position of the logo on the helmet and then flatten the layers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm responding not as someone who has a definitive answer, but as someone who thinks he might have stumbled across a way of doing it.

What I did was this:

Typed my text (obvious)

Right Click > Create Outlines to change it to a shape.

Then I did an Offset Path. Object>Path>Offset Path Value -2.

I then copied this shape Ctrl-V and pasted it behind the original. Ctrl-B

Then I moved it 2 arrows down, 1 arrow across.

I selected both smaller shapes and did Pathfinder>Subtract

Now I've got the bevelling.

In this particular wordmark I then added a few more Offset Paths.

Then I did Effect>Warp>Arc and made it 25%.

And I reckon this is probably the best wordmark I've ever done.

Now, that doesn't say a lot, because I've put up some real crap, however, I am well pleased with how this turned out.

Bomberswordmark.gif

Thos who have more of a clue might know why this shouldn't work.

Maybe this won't work as well with thinner fonts, or won't work for some other reason.

But here it is. If this works for you. Send money. :)

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 2 weeks later...

either delete the background, or combine [ctrl+8] the outermost shape with the area you want clear (or stripe to show thru).

This still didn't help me, because when I press Control + 8, nothing happens.

Here's a very basic example of what I'm talking about (again, basic - don't pick on the little guy!)

example.png

How do I get the wordmark to show through the white box that's around the primary Red Sox logo?

I have this problem over and over again, and I once found on a site that there's a special way to save the image and then put it back together, but I found that to be extremely lengthy and figure there has to be some kind of option to make the workmark image show through.

Yeah, I'm using Illustrator, and no, I'm not using vectors - in that example, I just took the two from the main site. If they're vectors, I can fix it, but that's why I have the problem - because they're rasters.

Yeah, I'm using Illustrator, and no, I'm not using vectors - in that example, I just took the two from the main site. If they're vectors, I can fix it, but that's why I have the problem - because they're rasters.

you need to mask the sox logo.

to do so, make a perfect circle around the sox logo using the ellipse tool and holding the shift key. position the circle so that it's precisely along the edge of the circle of the sox logo. select both the circle and the logo and hit ctrl + 7 (or option + 7 if you are on a mac, which you should be, but that's beside the point).

voila! clipping mask!

Edited by joel_fiasco

you need to mask the sox logo.

to do so, make a perfect circle around the sox logo using the ellipse tool and holding the shift key. position the circle so that it's precisely along the edge of the circle of the sox logo. select both the circle and the logo and hit ctrl + 7 (or option + 7 if you are on a mac, which you should be, but that's beside the point).

voila! clipping mask!

Voila indeed!

Joel and Robert - Thanks for the help! It's always great to get advice from two of the best!