Illustrator Help

pcgd

This may sound silly and all, but is there tips in filling in shading, cus i really need help on parts on where to shade.

I'm not THAT skilled with the program yet, but for shading i usually use a dark gray or black color then adjust the transparency. From there it's just trial and error.

hope that helps

~UJ

• 3 weeks later...

I've got this logo:

http://www.ebash.com/images/bigebash-onblack.jpg

It's a raster image (obviously). I want to make it a vector so we can get a sign made.

I've also got a white-backgrounded image which might make the process easier. I'm pretty familiar with photoshop, but not so much in illustrator. What tools would be best? If this was photoshop, I'd be using the lasso or wand...what for illustrator?

ucnu112sig.png

I've got this logo:

http://www.ebash.com/images/bigebash-onblack.jpg

It's a raster image (obviously). I want to make it a vector so we can get a sign made.

I've also got a white-backgrounded image which might make the process easier. I'm pretty familiar with photoshop, but not so much in illustrator. What tools would be best? If this was photoshop, I'd be using the lasso or wand...what for illustrator?

You'd need to re-do it completely by tracing it.

I use the pen tool.

I recommend pcgd's tutorial on tracing.

http://www.patrickcummings.net/tutorials/ and this one too

http://apex.vtc.com/illustrator10.php

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 3 weeks later...

this may be a stupid question, but is there any way to automatically add an outline to a logo without having to draw it? Also, im trying to figure out if you can put words inside an outline, sorta like the pistonsthenextdynasty thread about the dragons wordmark, or do you have to do that by hand? thanks guys

ad-sig-2.png

New and Improved Adrenaline Online:

http://adrenalinedesignstudio.synthasite.com/

this may be a stupid question, but is there any way to automatically add an outline to a logo without having to draw it? Also, im trying to figure out if you can put words inside an outline, sorta like the pistonsthenextdynasty thread about the dragons wordmark, or do you have to do that by hand? thanks guys

Looks like no-one who knows what they're doing is answering, so you're stuck with me.

What I do is this.

I take all the bits that are going to be outlined and copy them and paste them behind.

Take ptnd's Dragon, as mentioned.

dragonlogoalt3.png

That Black shape that forms the outline here is going to be one shape at the bottom of all the others, ie the green, orange and white shapes.

What you do is select that Path and do a Object>Path>Offset Path.

It then asks how big you want the path.

Usually 2-3 points is enough, depending on the size of what you're drawing.

If there's more than one shape making up the outline, copy them all and paste them behind, then, through the Pathfinder tab, select Merge and the shapes become one shape. Then do the Offset Path as above.

Same goes with Test for wordmarks, though you'd want to right click on the Text and select Create Outlines first. Then do the same as above, as your text is now part of the drawing.

I hope this helps. And I hope there's not a better way of doing it.

If there is, please tell me as this is how I'm doing it.

Edited by rmered

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 1 month later...

This is a question that I'm sure has been asked many times, so I apologize in advance for asking it yet again. Where do most of you download Illustrator? LimeWire? And what would be the best version to download? I, myself, have been working with Photoshop 7.0 for a while now, but I'm very interested in using Illustrator. Thanks for the help guys! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question that I'm sure has been asked many times, so I apologize in advance for asking it yet again. Where do most of you download Illustrator? LimeWire? And what would be the best version to download? I, myself, have been working with Photoshop 7.0 for a while now, but I'm very interested in using Illustrator. Thanks for the help guys! ^_^

Most of us 'download' Illustrator from the CD we got when we BOUGHT Illustrator from the Retail Outlet.

Some offer student's rates, if that applies to you.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I use Illustrater 8 and for the life of me I can't figure out how to lock my palettes ,so that when I open a new file they will stay in the same position that I put them in?

Thanks for your Help.

h

when you get your pallettes to where you want them to be, go to the "window" menu, then click the "workspace" submenu. from there you can save your workspace and when you want to reload it, it's always in that menu.

Lads,

how do I import illustrator file into Freehand in OSX? I mean I can inport it but it strips some effects I did in Illustrator? Also is there a clone in Illustrator CS2?

HELP?

to import the illy file, i would: "expand appearance" to convert any illy only effects. next save as an *.eps, and import into Freehand. (i didn't think they still made or anyone used FH anymore)

as for the clone in CS2, there is a "duplicate" by [Alt+click/drag], or simple copy/paste, but no clone stamp like the one in photoshop.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I use Illustrater 8 and for the life of me I can't figure out how to lock my palettes ,so that when I open a new file they will stay in the same position that I put them in?

Thanks for your Help.

h

when you get your pallettes to where you want them to be, go to the "window" menu, then click the "workspace" submenu. from there you can save your workspace and when you want to reload it, it's always in that menu.

I went to windows and there is no workspace submenu. Is this window in Illustrater 8 ?

I appreciate the help joel_fiasco.

H

I went to windows and there is no workspace submenu. Is this window in Illustrater 8 ?

H

you're right in Ill8 (which i happen to still have on this machine - man, you gotta love that load time... anyhoo) the ability to lock in your pallettes preferences didn't occur untill Ill CS2.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

H

you're right in Ill8 (which i happen to still have on this machine - man, you gotta love that load time... anyhoo) the ability to lock in your pallettes preferences didn't occur untill Ill CS2.

There's gotta be a way to do it. I can't imagine it get lock in in such a random manner.

I'll keep fishin around and if I figure it out I'll post it here or if someone else knows how to solve this problem, it would be appreciated.

H

odd question here but this problem is becoming a huge pain in my @$$. I use Illustrator 10, and last night I was typing headers and labels for a color palette im working on for a friends fantasy football league. anyways, before bed, i could totally and legibly read the text i had typed. today, i open the file and all the letters are big grey blocks. I have to zoom in to 950% or make teh font size 75pts or higher to read the writing. WHAT HAPPENED AND HOW DO I FIX IT!?!?!?!?

~UJ

I use Illustrater 8 and photoshop and when I retrieve the file from Illustrater into photoshop, the black turns to a dark gray.The problem is trying to get the black to be black without darkening the other colors too.

Thanks, H

Try saving your illustrator file as an eps file, and then reopen it in photoshop.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)