Illustrator Help

pcgd

OK...here's what i would like help with if someone would like to take the time to show me.

I've been seeing this effect done on various things like the NHL logo's and what not...i'd like to know how to achieve that look.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about incase anyone is lost...

cbj.png

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

OK...here's what i would like help with if someone would like to take the time to show me.

I've been seeing this effect done on various things like the NHL logo's and what not...i'd like to know how to achieve that look.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about incase anyone is lost...

cbj.png

well people achieve the so called web 2.0 'look' a few ways. in this case, the overleyed shape is on the bottom

and is the rectangle with the concave edge.

its an overlay with a black to mid grey gradient with an overlay transfer mode.

you see this sort of thing with screens and multiply gradients too.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make vertically arched text, like what the Washington Nationals use for their wordmarks. Thanks in advance.

You mean like the text here:

fp3682~Washington-Nationals-Posters.jpg

If so, highlight everything you want arched, then go Shift F9 to bring up the Pathfinder tab.

Click on Merge to make everything one compound shape, and it also Groups it.

Then go

Effect>Warp>Arc Lower.

Play with the Bend Percentage until it looks like what you want.

I have Illustrator 8.0... how can i vertacly arch text using this program, because none of the keys you described are on this earlier program that i have.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make vertically arched text, like what the Washington Nationals use for their wordmarks. Thanks in advance.

You mean like the text here:

fp3682~Washington-Nationals-Posters.jpg

If so, highlight everything you want arched, then go Shift F9 to bring up the Pathfinder tab.

Click on Merge to make everything one compound shape, and it also Groups it.

Then go

Effect>Warp>Arc Lower.

Play with the Bend Percentage until it looks like what you want.

I have Illustrator 8.0... how can i vertacly arch text using this program, because none of the keys you described are on this earlier program that i have.

I don't think you can arch text in 8.0. I don't think it came in until version 9.0 or 10.0. Before then you had to use third party software or plug-ins.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Everything jp said, only three minutes later, and with a weird Aussie accent.

But i like it better when you say it. Aussie accents are sexy.

:P

Coming from a large man like yourself, I find that creepy and weird.

Let's drink beer to prove our masculinity and heterosexuality.

(Hey, it's Friday afternoon here. any excuse will do)

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Everything jp said, only three minutes later, and with a weird Aussie accent.

But i like it better when you say it. Aussie accents are sexy.

:P

Coming from a large man like yourself, I find that creepy and weird.

Let's drink beer to prove our masculinity and heterosexuality.

(Hey, it's Friday afternoon here. any excuse will do)

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

On another note, i've been trying to make a sig with a transparant background, because, well, it would look nicer and i'm all about looking nice. How does one do that? any help will do.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Not sure if PNG supports transparency (probably does, but I don't usually save in that format). A GIF file will support transparency.

If you're working in Photoshop, the easiest way is to make a layered file, but turn off the visibility of the bottom layer, then "save as web", make sure the file option is set to GIF, and check the transparency button.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Not sure if PNG supports transparency (probably does, but I don't usually save in that format). A GIF file will support transparency.

If you're working in Photoshop, the easiest way is to make a layered file, but turn off the visibility of the bottom layer, then "save as web", make sure the file option is set to GIF, and check the transparency button.

PNG does support transparency.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm using Illustrator CS2 and I need help excluding something from a shape, if you know what I mean. Here's a picture of what I'm working on:

example.png

Ok, both letters are paths, and I need to get it so that the bird's head in the B is like the top hole of the B. I usually use Inkscape for this, but for some reason it's not able to use the font I'm using here. When I'm in Inkscape I usually select both paths and then do this: path>exclusion. I've tried so many different things and I'm really frustrated right now and about to give up for tonight. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. I hope my explanation was clear. Thanks...

EDIT: Just so you know here's what I'm trying to do:

example2.png

I want the birds head area to have no fill so that you can see the drop shadow. I don't want to make the drop shadow from scratch because it will more than likely end up looking like crap.

Once again, much help appreciated.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Kewp, you group together your B (without the outlines) and the white bird head. Second, go to Effects -> Pathfinder -> Subtract and then Object -> Expand Appearance. That will make it a B with the bird head as negative space, then you can put your outlines and everything on there.

It is nice to see you are taking some of my suggestions. What I was meaning by the MB was to integrate the M and B together as well. Its looking good though.

Kewp, you group together your B (without the outlines) and the white bird head. Second, go to Effects -> Pathfinder -> Subtract and then Object -> Expand Appearance. That will make it a B with the bird head as negative space, then you can put your outlines and everything on there.

It is nice to see you are taking some of my suggestions. What I was meaning by the MB was to integrate the M and B together as well. Its looking good though.

Thanks a lot man, hopefully I'll have an updated version up by tonight. The Bluebird logo still looks off, but better.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• 1 month later...

I have been searching for three or four days now and looked at possibly every text tutorial there is to no avail. I am wondering how I warp text like the word "OILERS" in the Edmonton Oilers 25 anniversary logo. It's inside the oil drop. Is it drawn from scratch or is there a tool or combonation of tools that i need to use.

thanks for your help

~Uj

ok, without seeing the logo you speak of...

(windows illy cs or above)

set your text "oilers" in this case in size, font, etc.

draw or select object to form text into.

move object shape to front (object>arrange>bring to front0 or * Shift+Ctrl+]

next, select the object and the text and choose object>envelope distort>make with top object or * Alt+Ctrl+C

that will envelope distort the text to the logo

the object becomes a live object and any edits to the object will affect the text fill inside, if you need to edit the shape etc.

it takes a few tries, but it works.

my guess is your oilers logo may have been drawn/created without this type of action. old skool!

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

ok, without seeing the logo you speak of...

(windows illy cs or above)

set your text "oilers" in this case in size, font, etc.

draw or select object to form text into.

move object shape to front (object>arrange>bring to front0 or * Shift+Ctrl+]

next, select the object and the text and choose object>envelope distort>make with top object or * Alt+Ctrl+C

that will envelope distort the text to the logo

the object becomes a live object and any edits to the object will affect the text fill inside, if you need to edit the shape etc.

it takes a few tries, but it works.

my guess is your oilers logo may have been drawn/created without this type of action. old skool!

bout to try it now. whether it works or not, thanks for the help. and the OILERS just fit inside an oil drop, nothin spectacular.

How do you make the shading look good on faces? Here's an example of the kind of thing that I want to do: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/fr...nee_brigade.jpg

Credit goes to davidson, of course.

I know how to use Illustrator pretty well, but I just can't seem to get the shading down....

any tips/advice/technique that could be useful?

IowaOaks.png

no idea what mesh objects are. the sad fact is i reckon you need to do a bit of drawing. not too much, just basic facial structure. nose, brow, eyeline, chin and cheeks etc. that helps.

i started drawing myself in the mirror and then seeing how simple i could make the shapes and still have them recognisable. ill try and do a tutorial or something helpfull

at some point.