Illustrator Help

pcgd

How do you make the shading look good on faces? Here's an example of the kind of thing that I want to do: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/fr...nee_brigade.jpg

Credit goes to davidson, of course.

I know how to use Illustrator pretty well, but I just can't seem to get the shading down....

any tips/advice/technique that could be useful?

Squint. Squinting at an object causes it to be desaturated, allowing you to pick up the lights and darks easier. I leaned this in drawing classes in college.

Of course, you could also bring your reference picture into Photoshop and desaturate it there, then posterize it or play with the curves to increase the contrast with the lights and darks.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

okay, so not the worlds best example but this is how i do it.

quick sketch of the face and then block it in.

kneck, chin and jaw

eyes

nose and those lines around your mouth and

mouth and detail.

its impossible to just draw a face from just the shapes. you need some sort of a sketch.

well i do anyway.

sketch.png

okay, so not the worlds best example but this is how i do it.

quick sketch of the face and then block it in.

kneck, chin and jaw

eyes

nose and those lines around your mouth and

mouth and detail.

its impossible to just draw a face from just the shapes. you need some sort of a sketch.

well i do anyway.

sketch.png

Thats good sketch and a good ideal of what ya do , or how ur logos evolve.

Squint. Squinting at an object causes it to be desaturated, allowing you to pick up the lights and darks easier. I leaned this in drawing classes in college

What kinda of classes did/do you take JP ? Was it related to Graphic design, or something related to it ? ( Sorry to ask im looking to that my self )

IMO it be good to add a Drawing help topic sorta like Illustrator Help, in case ppl on here ask questions or tips about drawing or need help on a drawing.

Just my 2 cents lol.

4kv29i.jpg

I went to an art school and majored in graphic design. All first and second year students have to take Drawing I and II as part of their foundation classes (required classes). Drawing I & II, Life Drawing I & II, 2-D Design, Color Theory, Graphic Design I and II, Illustration, Sculpture, Painting I and II, and various Art History classes.

Most art schools will have the same basic foundation curriculum. By this point, there might be computer graphics and typography classes included.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody having, or hearing about other people having, problems running Illustrator CS2 after the latest OSX Tiger security update? The damn thing shuts down in the middle of opening every time.

My lazy ass needs to upgrade to either CS3 or Leopard, or both...

Anybody having, or hearing about other people having, problems running Illustrator CS2 after the latest OSX Tiger security update? The damn thing shuts down in the middle of opening every time.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Tiger, but I've just heard so many complaints that CS2 crashes all the time.

I don't know if this is the case, but Illy CS2 would crash all the time on my MacBook Pro. Running under rosetta was the problem. After upgrading, CS3 runs fine.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I'm having a problem opening a file. I try to open it and it gives me an error message "The File is damaged and cannot be repaired" is there anything I can do to fix it?

Generally, no. The file is damaged. It can't be repaired.

• 3 weeks later...

No, but I somehow lost "required plugin BRS Pencil tool" after trying to hookup Linotype's FontExplorerX to Illy.

I think I need to reinstall, dammit.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Besides free distort, how can a apply a slant to say a wordmark?

I'm working off AI10, and in that you right click and brings up the options Transform>Shear.

The number you type into the box is the angle the text will slant.

If you want other effects, go to Effect>Warp and a bunch of options come up.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone got any ideas on making multi-page PDFs from Illustrator files?

I'm currently working on a flyer for a local business and thats the finished format they want to print from. I've planned the whole thing in Photoshop and can do the multi page thing no problem in it, but will need to use Illustrator once I've worked out what the final piece will look like.

set your document up by how many pages wide it will be. i.e. if 6 pages at 8.5x11, 8.5x6=51. So your doc will be 11"(tall) and 51"(wide). To make it a multi page pdf, choose print, then in your print box, there should be a drop down that says save as, choose pdf from the drop down. It will generate a 6 page pdf, with each page being 8.5x11 when opened in acrobat.