Illustrator Help

pcgd

I do have another question regarding the same image, though:

I want the stroke to be pointy, not stubbed. I've set my Miter join to a high value (I think 8), so it does the appearance I want at the bottom, but not at the top left, around the snout. I thought it was just a matter of making the value a higher number, but it's not working. The snout only has a single anchor point, so I can't figure out why it's not pointy:

screenshot20111222at114.png

See how it's a flat stroke, rather than continuing the point or w/e, like on the part below?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, my question may come off weird so I will word it the best I can. I may even be able to supply screenshots if that would help. Here's my issue: Whenever I open a few layers I want horizontally centered (I use the pathfinder align), the whole selected group of layers jumps to the left about 1.5x the width of the selected group. Now I did search and clean up stray points in case that was the issue, yet it is continuing to do it. I'm just working with an illustration where all the layers flow in a uniform fashion so I dont want to try to realign the "skipping" layers to the ones that are in their set places. Any help?

Okay, my question may come off weird so I will word it the best I can. I may even be able to supply screenshots if that would help. Here's my issue: Whenever I open a few layers I want horizontally centered (I use the pathfinder align), the whole selected group of layers jumps to the left about 1.5x the width of the selected group. Now I did search and clean up stray points in case that was the issue, yet it is continuing to do it. I'm just working with an illustration where all the layers flow in a uniform fashion so I dont want to try to realign the "skipping" layers to the ones that are in their set places. Any help?

Screen shots will help. Are you hitting align left or align center? Also which version of Illustrator do you have? I have noticed that if you have objects near the edge of an art board, it sometimes acts funny.

Screen shots will help. Are you hitting align left or align center? Also which version of Illustrator do you have? I have noticed that if you have objects near the edge of an art board, it sometimes acts funny.

ugh, nevermind. As I was getting the screenshots, it stopped doing it (wtf)? But this has happened on me before, though, but this project is super involved and important and I don't want to have to add any more extra steps than I am already facing. I definitely know I'm not hitting the left align and the items DO center horizontally, they just jumped off the screen in the process. As far as the version of Illy I am using, if memory serves it is CS3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm trying to get an "object gradient" sort of effect. Check out the Spain soccer jerseys to see what I mean:

28595.jpg

See how the stripes in the sash start close together and then gradually get farther apart? That's what Id' like to do. Obviously the hard way to do this is to manually distribute the objects at different distances, but that would take forever on something like this shirt. Is there a way to get Illustrator to arrange objects with varying amounts of separation?

Separate question, is there a way to measure angles in Illustrator? A protractor tool would be awesome, you could find the angle of an object that's already skewed or rotated, and then adjust what you're drawing to match. Anyone know of something like that?

Grunge-Logos.png

Use the blend feature. This can probably explain it to you better than I can.

That tool is pretty neat, but it doesn't quite do what I'm looking for. In the jersey I posted, you can see that the blue bars at the top of the jersey are pretty close together, but by the time they reach the bottom of the jersey, they're much farther apart. The blend tool does some cool stuff, but in the end, everything is equidistant... I'm looking for that gradually increasing interval.

Thanks for the help!

Grunge-Logos.png

That tool is pretty neat, but it doesn't quite do what I'm looking for. In the jersey I posted, you can see that the blue bars at the top of the jersey are pretty close together, but by the time they reach the bottom of the jersey, they're much farther apart. The blend tool does some cool stuff, but in the end, everything is equidistant... I'm looking for that gradually increasing interval.

Thanks for the help!

Try starting with two identical lines, and place them apart a little ways. Make one have a thick stroke, like say 10 pt or so. Then make the other smaller, about .5 pt. Then after you make the blend, go back to object > blend > blend options and choose specified steps. Choose a fairly high number of steps, and I think you will get the effect you're looking for.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Try starting with two identical lines, and place them apart a little ways. Make one have a thick stroke, like say 10 pt or so. Then make the other smaller, about .5 pt. Then after you make the blend, go back to object > blend > blend options and choose specified steps. Choose a fairly high number of steps, and I think you will get the effect you're looking for.

Nailed it. At first I tried to make the blue stripes the blend, then I realized that with the blend tool, I could set the interval, the light blue stripes, and put it over the solid blue and presto! Nice call, cab, thanks!

Anyone know of a protractor/angle measurement tool or is that just a pipe dream?

Grunge-Logos.png

Out of the blue last night any image I copied and tried to paste into Illustrator (I use CS3) shows the code or web address of the copied image instead of the image itself, when pasted and I can't figure out why it started doing this or how I fix it. Did I accidentally use a keyboard shortcut to start doing this? How do I return it to the point where I can see the image I copied instead of words and symbols? I need to paste in some reference shots for a template I am working on. Any help is appreciated.

UniJ

Out of the blue last night any image I copied and tried to paste into Illustrator (I use CS3) shows the code or web address of the copied image instead of the image itself, when pasted and I can't figure out why it started doing this or how I fix it. Did I accidentally use a keyboard shortcut to start doing this? How do I return it to the point where I can see the image I copied instead of words and symbols? I need to paste in some reference shots for a template I am working on. Any help is appreciated.

UniJ

Try dragging the image from your web browser into Illustrator or saving it to your local drive. That happens to me on rare occasions.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

UniJ

Try dragging the image from your web browser into Illustrator or saving it to your local drive. That happens to me on rare occasions.

Just for reference, I tried to copy this image Shoe.jpg into my artwork and this shoe2.jpg is how it came up, words no picture. I did try to drag it as you suggested, but it didn't work and I really dont want to save every single item I want to use as a reference picture or whatever, down the road, I want to fix whatever I did. I HAD to have accidentally hit some sort of wrong combo on my keyboard thinking I was doing another function with the shortcuts and triggered this to happen, but I went through every pull down menu and can't see anything that would strike me as "oh yeah, thats probably it". Thanks anyway.

UniJ

• 2 weeks later...

UniJ

Just for reference, I tried to copy this image Shoe.jpg into my artwork and this shoe2.jpg is how it came up, words no picture. I did try to drag it as you suggested, but it didn't work and I really dont want to save every single item I want to use as a reference picture or whatever, down the road, I want to fix whatever I did. I HAD to have accidentally hit some sort of wrong combo on my keyboard thinking I was doing another function with the shortcuts and triggered this to happen, but I went through every pull down menu and can't see anything that would strike me as "oh yeah, thats probably it". Thanks anyway.

UniJ

Problem fixed. It is a bug in Firefox 12. Supposed to be corrected when Firefox 13 comes out in June.

Ok. 2 quick questions and hopefully easy answers.

1. is there a template or certain method that people use for stadium seating charts? Or a certain program to use?

2. I am trying to make a stadium seating chart in AI, but the lines are different lengths even though I copy/pasted each row so they would be the same size. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it just how Illustrator does things? Like this:

U2106-1336623965.png

Thanks to whoever can help. :grin:

Ok. 2 quick questions and hopefully easy answers.

1. is there a template or certain method that people use for stadium seating charts? Or a certain program to use?

2. I am trying to make a stadium seating chart in AI, but the lines are different lengths even though I copy/pasted each row so they would be the same size. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it just how Illustrator does things? Like this:

U2106-1336623965.png

Thanks to whoever can help. :grin:

Depending on what view you are looking at, it sometimes looks strange when it's actually normal. I noticed the image you are showing, it's being viewed at 70%. Look at it at 100% and you will see that they are normal and the size you want.