Illustrator Help

pcgd

Out of the blue last night any image I copied and tried to paste into Illustrator (I use CS3) shows the code or web address of the copied image instead of the image itself, when pasted and I can't figure out why it started doing this or how I fix it. Did I accidentally use a keyboard shortcut to start doing this? How do I return it to the point where I can see the image I copied instead of words and symbols? I need to paste in some reference shots for a template I am working on. Any help is appreciated.

UniJ

Try dragging the image from your web browser into Illustrator or saving it to your local drive. That happens to me on rare occasions.

Just for reference, I tried to copy this image Shoe.jpg into my artwork and this shoe2.jpg is how it came up, words no picture. I did try to drag it as you suggested, but it didn't work and I really dont want to save every single item I want to use as a reference picture or whatever, down the road, I want to fix whatever I did. I HAD to have accidentally hit some sort of wrong combo on my keyboard thinking I was doing another function with the shortcuts and triggered this to happen, but I went through every pull down menu and can't see anything that would strike me as "oh yeah, thats probably it". Thanks anyway.

UniJ

Problem fixed. It is a bug in Firefox 12. Supposed to be corrected when Firefox 13 comes out in June.

There is also File>Place. You can place most any file from jpegs to pdfs and it can retain editable qualities if it has them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok. 2 quick questions and hopefully easy answers.

1. is there a template or certain method that people use for stadium seating charts? Or a certain program to use?

2. I am trying to make a stadium seating chart in AI, but the lines are different lengths even though I copy/pasted each row so they would be the same size. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it just how Illustrator does things? Like this:

U2106-1336623965.png

Thanks to whoever can help. :grin:

Draw 1 big rectangle tool for the whole stand, copy paste infront (or in back just paste in place), on 1 of them delite top and bottom line so u get just sides as 2 lines, copy and paste 1 of them at the amount of how many rows you have, pick all of them but dont pick the original rectangle you didnt cut, and just press horizontal distribute center and youll get all nice and even, then you do the same thing for top and botom...

i hope thats what you wanted to achive

hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know why text size in Illustrator never matches up with either the H value or when I create outlines?

For example, I put some text onto an image and set the size to 3.75 inches. The H value, however, reports the size as 4.3 inches, and if I was to convert the text into an outline, it would be set at the size of 2.55 inches. Converting to outline also affects my X value, as it changes.

This seems unique to Illustrator... When I use Inkscape, it doesn't seem to have any wonky issues at all regarding text.

• 4 weeks later...

Something I've always wondered about, but never actually had to do. Until now.

I'm trying to re-create this:

67-6.jpg

The idea is it's a TV set.

What I am trying to do is re-create the outline around the screen which looks to have a white/grey to black gradient.

Any ideas on how to do this in Illustrator?

Would you just trace the shape, or is there a better trick?

And how to make it so it looks like it fades?

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could help with some svg to pdf transfer problems I'm having.

I have a logo that I made in a program called inkscape. Looks great. Saved it all and opened it in illustrator CS5. Still looks great. Did some slight modifications to it. Saved it as a pdf to go get it printed but when I look at the saved pdf document, some of the shapes and text have thick ugly stroke applied to them. It's not as easy as just removing the stroke because when I do it seems to reappear in different areas. Is there a setting when I save it as a pdf that might explain this? I'm a bit lost atm as to what to look for. I'm kinda new to illustrator too.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• 8 months later...

Something I've always wondered about, but never actually had to do. Until now.

I'm trying to re-create this:

67-6.jpg

The idea is it's a TV set.

What I am trying to do is re-create the outline around the screen which looks to have a white/grey to black gradient.

Any ideas on how to do this in Illustrator?

Would you just trace the shape, or is there a better trick?

And how to make it so it looks like it fades?

learn some gradient mesh techniques, that should to do the job. http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/20-tutorials-to-help-master-illustrators-gradient-mesh

the basic shape is easy though, just a rounded rectangle for the outside shape and the same on the inside but with a larger diameter and some tweaking

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a conversion. Illustrator has the option to convert files with the layers to photoshop. The process is as follows:

Open the file in Illustrator, File > Export and change the file extension to .PSD. Here is a link for reference: http://vectips.com/tips/export-illustrator-files-to-photoshop/

Here is the link to the template: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/94882-nike-hypercool-football-template-release/#entry2078487

mattwillcox has already given me permission to get it converted. The version of photoshop I am using it CS3.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Does anyone know how I can create a drop shadow effect similar to the old Lakers' jersey numbers? I know how to do offset paths, but then is it just a matter of moving it into position behind the number? Because I've tried that and I can't create the look I want.

• 1 month later...

I am using Illustrator CS4 and when I highlight the text with the text tool, I get a grey box that covers the text and I can't see text anymore. Only when I zoom in real close the text it becomes visible. I must have changed a setting or hit a shortcut key somewhere. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hola, gentlemen. I upgraded to CS5 last week and after years of using CS3 I know it will take some time to adjust. However, each time I close the program I lose all tools (ie: layers, color, stroke, pathfinder, etc.), I prefer these items to be out and accessible while i work instead of being along the sides of the window in an icon tray. I also like my work in RGB preview and it constantly switches back to CMYK, and I have fixed all these in the Preferences menu. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to reside in the fact that I will have to reopen and organize everything each time I close and open the program?

Thanks for any and all help.

UniJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I was just wondering how one would achieve a text effect like in this logo:

747_-mlb_opening_day-primary-2010.gif

I am only concerned about the gray/silver part inside the white text, that gives off a 3D-y look but not quite bevel-y. I hope that makes sense...

Here are a few other examples of what I'm talking about:

5fd58b39f073eb73e53040c27b16b387.png

66127e5cbaa510f58e71a5905d05a104.png

vandals_wordmark.jpg

Thank you for your help!!!

1.make sure your text is a compound shape (cmmd+8)

2.copy, paste in front

3.choose offset path (choose a negative distance, i.e. -2pts) (if you are looking for something similar to the Idaho Vandals, skip this offset path step)

4.make a copy of new offset text (or original text-for vandals look), paste in front

5.move new copy down and over

6.select this text plus original offset text that is below it, choose minus front from pathfinder

7.color the resulting shapes, usually grey when on top of white text

• Like 1

Hola, gentlemen. I upgraded to CS5 last week and after years of using CS3 I know it will take some time to adjust. However, each time I close the program I lose all tools (ie: layers, color, stroke, pathfinder, etc.), I prefer these items to be out and accessible while i work instead of being along the sides of the window in an icon tray. I also like my work in RGB preview and it constantly switches back to CMYK, and I have fixed all these in the Preferences menu. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to reside in the fact that I will have to reopen and organize everything each time I close and open the program?

Thanks for any and all help.

UniJ

CS5 is now opening and instantly closing again. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled. Reset the computer about a jillion times. Cleaned out the registry and reinstalled. Nothing works. Now I did get CS5 from a designer friend of mine and used his serial, all that, because he told me it should work. Would that be it, like does Adobe track who is using what serial number where or have IP addresses stored in a system and if its used in an "unauthorized" location it will shut down the "strange" one? I am just confused. I even reset my whole computer to factory settings (which I was going to do anyway, cuz it was just running slow as crap) and that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

UniJ