Illustrator Help

pcgd

It might be that you both have it open at the same time - I've had that issue working in an office environment. That was there way of combatting piracy for some time, it might still be.

It could be, I don't know, and if so there is no real way to prevent it, I really don't think we are going to start coordinating our Illustrator time, lol. I have since just went back to CS2. Thank you for the help.

• 1 month later...

sure, to get those highlights you need two copies of your original shape/text..etc. move the top most copy over and down with your arrow key. I usually set my keyboard increment (command +k) to .01 (this will give you the look of the BEARS example above) if you want an inset highlight like the VANDALS example you need to offset the path of your original shape first, then make a copy of that new shape (step 3 in my original post)

to easily see if the highlight is the right amount you may want to make the copies 2 different colors, so when you move the top copy over and down it will reveal the copy below.

select both of these copies and choose minus front from the pathfinder, the results will be the highlights you wanted to create, color these grey if you have white text...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, quick question. I have Google searched this to no end without any luck. Is there a way to make your own cheetah print in Illustrator or do you have to just find a brush and download it? I need the print for a logo I am going to start working on in the next few weeks and I'm pulling together all my reference pics and doing some sketches but I know doing every individual spot by hand (especially If I have to trace an entire pattern versus drawing three or four spots and making my own scatter brush) its going to be a huge pain in the ass. I know when I did the identity package for IceCap's Calgary Tigers fantasy hockey team, I had to break down and just hand draw all the tiger stripes because I'm not familiar with finding and downloading brushes into Illustrator. I can't be the only person that has ever had an issue like this with animal print. Thanks in advance!

UniJ

Hey guys, quick question. I have Google searched this to no end without any luck. Is there a way to make your own cheetah print in Illustrator or do you have to just find a brush and download it? I need the print for a logo I am going to start working on in the next few weeks and I'm pulling together all my reference pics and doing some sketches but I know doing every individual spot by hand (especially If I have to trace an entire pattern versus drawing three or four spots and making my own scatter brush) its going to be a huge pain in the ass. I know when I did the identity package for IceCap's Calgary Tigers fantasy hockey team, I had to break down and just hand draw all the tiger stripes because I'm not familiar with finding and downloading brushes into Illustrator. I can't be the only person that has ever had an issue like this with animal print. Thanks in advance!

UniJ

Nevermind, answered my own question. I didn't know there was a cheetah print in the swatches library.

UniJ

• 7 months later...
Hey everyone,

I have been expanding my illustrator skills lately and I'm stuck right now. I downloaded Andrew Harrington's Nike Speed Machine template to use and I was playing around trying to learn how to add striping to different areas. I was wondering how to either lineup the stripe within the one area of the template without going into another as I have done. Is there a way to cut off the path or line it up properly to the path it is going under without showing up on the otherside? I have tried the join paths tool but I still can't seem to make the white area that is sticking out to go away. Here's where I am at -

t7yXjkO.png

8prlQWA.png

I added an anchor point like you said, but I don't think I know how exactly to do what you're saying. I don't see any anchor points on the corner of the white line that's sticking out. The only anchor points are at the top of the line and the bottom. Even when I add in another anchor point on the path and delete the bottom one, it doesn't line up with the template either and still sticks out. My skills are fairly limited at this point so I probably need a video tutorial more than anything.

So if anyone knows of video tutorials for AI which go over the making of a uniform on one of the templates that are available, that would be great.

8prlQWA.png

Activate the smart guides to help you (View -> Smart Guides). You have two options to modify this:

1- Unselect whatever selection you currently have. Select the Direct Selection Tool (A). Hover around the anchor that is below the line, you will see the line light up with a small "Anchor" beside it. Click on the anchor and move it up until you intersect the other path. The other path will then light up to show you that you're dead on.

2- Bring your path to the front and keep it selected. Pick the scissors. Hover around the intersection until you get both lines colored with a "intersection" text. Click on the intersection - it will cut the top path in two sections. Take the selection tool and select the part you want to remove. Delete.

The smart guides are probably your best friend at this point. It took me a while to discover those, but I don't know how I managed to use Illustrator without them. It saves a ton of time.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

i think making the line a compound path is the best approach like mentioned. but, if you want to keep your line, you can draw a shape on top of it and crop the line inside of it.

1. draw a path along the jersey's seam lines. anything inside of this shape will show and anything outside will be hidden.

2. make sure your new shape is on top. select the shape and your line together; then CMD+7 (or Object > Clipping Mask > Make)

3. select that line (along with shape its cropped in) and paste them on top of the base jersey color shape; behind all the seam lines

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 2 months later...

I need some help making an element for a logo. I am trying to arc text and am having some difficulty with it.

What I am going for is something like this: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/files/2012/01/northdakotajersey.jpg and/or this: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/ae/caed7fee-8fe0-11e4-9273-cbe7cdc65c5e/54a23174cbb18.image.jpg?resize=960%2C611

But what I'm getting is the text arced but the letters are all warped and it just looks awful. I would post a picture of what I have but I'm new to this thread thing and haven't figured that bit out yet.

FYI what I'm trying to do is an Indiana Hoosiers logo with "Indiana" arced on top and "Hoosiers" arced on the bottom and maybe the trident logo inside the text circle if that makes sense.

So if anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

PS I also posted this in photoshop help so if you're worried you're seeing double that's why

logo%20copy_zpszsofp1gh.png signature%20copy_zpstrwmpyrx.png logo%20copy_zpszsofp1gh.png

@D_Parky

I need some help making an element for a logo. I am trying to arc text and am having some difficulty with it.

What I am going for is something like this: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/files/2012/01/northdakotajersey.jpg and/or this: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/ae/caed7fee-8fe0-11e4-9273-cbe7cdc65c5e/54a23174cbb18.image.jpg?resize=960%2C611

But what I'm getting is the text arced but the letters are all warped and it just looks awful. I would post a picture of what I have but I'm new to this thread thing and haven't figured that bit out yet.

FYI what I'm trying to do is an Indiana Hoosiers logo with "Indiana" arced on top and "Hoosiers" arced on the bottom and maybe the trident logo inside the text circle if that makes sense.

So if anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

PS I also posted this in photoshop help so if you're worried you're seeing double that's why

[Working with CS3] Probably the best thing to do is use the Type on a Path tool. Draw a circle that you want the text to follow, then select that tool (click and hold on the Type tool and it should pop up in a menu) and click on that circle. The circle will lose any formatting (stroke, fill) that you put on it, but you will see the blinking text cursor. You can adjust the endpoints, the midpoint (with the white arrow tool), whether the text goes on the inside or outside of the path, and all the usual text stuff (alignment, font, size, etc.). You will also likely want to fiddle with how far the text is set off from the baseline (the path, in this case). Under the Type menu, there is also a Type on a Path menu where you can set different options for how the text aligns itself with the path.

Hope that helps.

• 9 months later...

Just had a quick question regarding the way people work with templates in Illustrator. Does everyone else redraw the template to their liking or is there a way to edit what is already done on the template while only using Illustrator. For reference I am building a fictional soccer league and using raysox's, I think, template and I feel like redrawing the template for each and every team is a waste of time. What am I missing????

Just answered my own question

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, 72freebie said:

hey I was just wondering how I would split my arm logo to match work into the template on a baseball concept using Brandon Moore's template. this is what I have right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Untitled.png

Use a clipping path. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/clipping-masks.html#id_8421