Illustrator Help

pcgd

This is what I would like to do, and I bet it's kind of advanced, so work with me a bit.

825.jpg

In the above picture, I want to remove Tony Allen so that I can make myself a wallpaper. That is, take him completely out of there and away from the court and a player who looks a lot like Darius Songaila, etc.

Then, when I put him onto another background, I want it to be just him and have no white box around him or anything of the sort.

Can someone show me how to do this? It would be greatly appreciated!

This is what I would like to do, and I bet it's kind of advanced, so work with me a bit.

825.jpg

In the above picture, I want to remove Tony Allen so that I can make myself a wallpaper. That is, take him completely out of there and away from the court and a player who looks a lot like Darius Songaila, etc.

Then, when I put him onto another background, I want it to be just him and have no white box around him or anything of the sort.

Can someone show me how to do this? It would be greatly appreciated!

Post this in Photoshop help next time, since, after all, it is a photo. Anyway, in Photoshop, you want to select the Polygonal Lasso tool, make sure "Anti-Alias" is checked, zoom in, and painstakingly follow Tony's outline as best and as closely as you can. Then, you can copy him and paste him onto anything you want without having a silly white box.

Oh, and Hennisch, if you convert your text to outlines with [ text > create outlines ], select your text, and go to [ Effect > Warp ], I believe there is a choice to arch just the bottom. To finish it off nice and neat, go to [ Object > Expand Appearance ].

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Maybe someone can help me.

I want to place a Text on an arch, the upper line of the text shall be straight, while the lower line should follow the arch...

Thanks!

This one's easier than you think it is, but you have to work backwards to get what you want.

What I mean is, you do the text you want on the arch first. Assuming you have AI 10, you'll want to go under your Type tool and select the Path Type tool (it'll be the one with the T sloping downward at an angle). Click the arch and type. You might want to make sure your text is centered before you do this; go under the Paragraph tab of your Type palette (use Ctrl-T if you don't see it) and click the Center button (second from the left).

Then type the first line of the text over the arch. Reset your Type tool to the default (the plain T) and you're good to go.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

why would illustrator be a waste of money?

you bought it thinking you could do photo editing with it?

did you read the specs?

No, a family friend actually had a copy of it and I just gave him $25 for the ability to put it on my computer. It was just the CD, and he didn't seem to know much about it, so I rolled the dice. That's all.

Well, you got a 800 program for 25 bucks...doesn't sound like a waste of money to me.

That's true, now I feel like I'm crying over spilled milk.

Anyways, enough of the chatter, back to the help topic for those who need it! :D

How do I vectorize stuff without losing quality? When I try the edges (text especially) comes out looking a bit wavy.

I don't know what this is called exactly but how do I create a section that I can just click and it will instantly highlight and I can fill it in (like how templates are sectioned off).

Untitled-1.png

question. I have a word mark where I have added details to the text. But when I try to copy/paste I lose the font, I only get the details and have to cut/paste the text sperately? Is this a common issue or not how to avoid having to take the text seperate from the rest of the detail?

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Same tool, now called pathfinder.

Call it up in your windows area and you'll see it. Should be familiar to you if you used it in 9. Its pathfinder in 10 and after.

Actually all the tools under Pathfinder don't do this. Basically all they do is group them. Whenever I select the objects, whether they are grouped or not, it groups them, but then all I have to do is select Ungroup and they're seperate objects again. Is there nothing that permenantly welds them together?

Same tool, now called pathfinder.

Call it up in your windows area and you'll see it.  Should be familiar to you if you used it in 9.  Its pathfinder in 10 and after.

Actually all the tools under Pathfinder don't do this. Basically all they do is group them. Whenever I select the objects, whether they are grouped or not, it groups them, but then all I have to do is select Ungroup and they're seperate objects again. Is there nothing that permenantly welds them together?

No, this does weld them. You have to then (as barnes said) hit the expand button to make them one object.

How do I vectorize stuff without losing quality? When I try the edges (text especially) comes out looking a bit wavy.

I don't know what this is called exactly but how do I create a section that I can just click and it will instantly highlight and I can fill it in (like how templates are sectioned off).

When you say "vectorize" what do y ou mean exactly? If you are on CS2 LiveTrace, you'll have to mess with the settings. If you are trying to use your paths from photoshop into illustrator, then there really is no helping with that. If you are tracing by hand and they are coming out wavy, put down the beer.

As far as your second question...I'm stumped. I'm not sure what you're asking.

question. I have a word mark where I have added details to the text. But when I try to copy/paste I lose the font, I only get the details and have to cut/paste the text sperately? Is this a common issue or not how to avoid having to take the text seperate from the rest of the detail?

question back. what do you mean by details? You've added shapes? You've put filters? If you've added shapes one of two things are happening. You're aren't selecting your text when you are copying, or the text is locked. I'm guessing its the first one. Select the whole thing and that should do it.

I am selecting text. But I had to change the text style slightly by adding lines. I am using the loop or what looks like a rope (sorry don't know the exact name at this time) but it does not carry the text. the Text box is there, but no text.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

When you say "vectorize" what do y ou mean exactly? If you are on CS2 LiveTrace, you'll have to mess with the settings. If you are trying to use your paths from photoshop into illustrator, then there really is no helping with that. If you are tracing by hand and they are coming out wavy, put down the beer.

Yeah I'm using LiveTrace. I hoped there was some trick or something I was missing but I'll just mess with the settings.

As for the second question: Lets say I have a template and theres a section of the template (like a stirrup or something). I want to be able to just click on the portion I want to fill and have it selected for me without having to create a live paint group.

Untitled-1.png

Yeah I'm using LiveTrace. I hoped there was some trick or something I was missing but I'll just mess with the settings.

As for the second question: Lets say I have a template and theres a section of the template (like a stirrup or something). I want to be able to just click on the portion I want to fill and have it selected for me without having to create a live paint group.

i think you need to make a compound path for that particular section, if i understand the question correctly.

I am selecting text. But I had to change the text style slightly by adding lines. I am using the loop or what looks like a rope (sorry don't know the exact name at this time) but it does not carry the text. the Text box is there, but no text.

it's called the lasso tool....and i'm guessing you haven't converted they type to outlines....try that and see if it works.

This one has been plaguing me for years...im using cs2 now, still no luck. i'll try and explain this to the best of my abilities....

say i have a picture of an apple

over that apple, i have the outline of the word "apple".

i want the fill of the letters to be said picture of apple, but the negative space

around the word to disappear.

any takers?

I'm having a teeny-weeny problem with AI CS:

How can I make text wrap around a circle shape nicely? I tried the 'Arc' effect, but it comes out all distorted, elongated and not looking right. I'm really frustrated about this, so any help would be wonderful!

Draw a slightly larger circle around the first one. Click on the larger circle with the text tool. Then you can type along that circular path.

CK3ZP8E.jpg