Illustrator Help

pcgd

Sorry, I'll try to be a little clearer.

I enjoy doing some of the jersey concepts etc, but I am horrible at making new logos etc. What I am trying to do is this:

I went to a certain team website and saved a picture that I thought would look good on a jersey. When I saved it though, it keeps showing up with white surrounding the logo (it is a .jpg).

Is it possible to edit this logo in Illustrator to remove only the material I would like to work with, and not the white surrounding it?

it's generally not a good idea to mix rasterized art (jpgs, bmps, pngs etc.) with vector art (ai, eps and so on). Unless you're going to redraw the jpg logo in illustrator (which is exactly what I'd do), you're better off doing the whole thing in photoshop.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

ok i've got a question thats been bugging me-

everytime i go to do text in a rouded arch around a circle, it distorts the text to be really wide and bulgey and weird - how do i get it to stay normal but get it around a circle?

I usually type out my text the way I want it, select it all, and make a new art brush out of it. I'd take the width down to about 10% or less, then when you apply it to a line, you can adjust the stroke number to get the text exactly how you want it.

typing along a path is probably the easier way to go though... I have to admit I didn't know you could do that (stop laughing!)

I'm going to have to keep on keepin on with my total training dvds, eh.

spacer.png

ok new question - ive heard about this auto trace feature of Illustrator - i have illustrator CS - how does it work?

From what I've seen it blows chunks. I'd rather spend basically the same amount of time doing it by hand instead of using autotrace and then the pencil tool to clean it up.

I think there's a full program from adobe that's supposed to be like some super-auto-tracer on steroids. I don't remember what it's called, though.

spacer.png

It's called Adobe Streamline. Live Trace is wonderful if you have a hi-res reference picture. It's pretty good if you have a lo-res but large size reference, and its all-right if you have a small, lo-res reference. That's all it depends on.

To layout text like the Rangers' jerseys, make the text paths by using Text > Create Outlines, then just select ANGERS, then move the letters down and to the right with the arrow keys until they are where you want them, then select NGERS and move them the same number of times with the arrow keys, then select GERS, and repeat, and so on. Illustrator won't do everything for you with text and whatnot. You have to get creative and find a solution sometimes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's called Adobe Streamline. Live Trace is wonderful if you have a hi-res reference picture. It's pretty good if you have a lo-res but large size reference, and its all-right if you have a small, lo-res reference. That's all it depends on.

To layout text like the Rangers' jerseys, make the text paths by using Text > Create Outlines, then just select ANGERS, then move the letters down and to the right with the arrow keys until they are where you want them, then select NGERS and move them the same number of times with the arrow keys, then select GERS, and repeat, and so on. Illustrator won't do everything for you with text and whatnot. You have to get creative and find a solution sometimes.

Both ways they said would work.

Another way of doing it is to create outlines like tempest said to. Then position the first letter in the upper left (or right) position exactly where you want it. Then place the last letter exactly where you want it in the lower right. Position each of the middle letters approx. where you would like them to go.

*if you have multiple layers, you will want to group each letter together with its outlines/shadows/whatever*

Then select all the letters and go to your align window. There, click the even distribute button vertically and then even distribute horizontally. This will work best if the letter forms are close in the same size width wise and height wise.

Just another way to do it. Works really well, I just had to line up some dots on a variety of angles and it worked fantastic for that.

So here's something strange.

It works.

Not only that is strange (and really good, thanks Pat)

But it only works when I Ungroup the text.

Not that I'm disappointed.

Thanks Mate.

yeah there are several things in the ol' Illustrator that the grouping can mess up and won't even let you know. Generally it won't let you add and expand multiple objects if they're grouped--with each other even. Still... gotta love the program...

Also, does live trace really work?! I've never bothered to use it... I honestly don't think I could trust the computer to duplicate something as well as I could just with the pen tool. If so though... man that could come in handy!

spacer.png

This may be a dumb question, but I'm new to the board.

I've been using Photoshop for jersey/logo designs(very time consuming!). I would love to use illustrator because it seems as if thats what everyone uses and its easier. How do I get a hold of a solid version of Adobe Illus. without shelling out the $$$$$?

I'm getting my Masters right now so $$$$ is TIGHT! Any ideas? Thanks! I love this site by the way, all of you are extremely talented. I'll be displaying some of my stuff soon enough.

Take care

Surge

Also, does live trace really work?! I've never bothered to use it... I honestly don't think I could trust the computer to duplicate something as well as I could just with the pen tool. If so though... man that could come in handy!

Live trace works. It's not great for line art unless you have a good hi-res image, and even then a manual trace is still better, but if you want a sweet vector image of a photo or drawing or something, it's a pretty good tool.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I've been using Photoshop for jersey/logo designs(very time consuming!). I would love to use illustrator because it seems as if thats what everyone uses and its easier. How do I get a hold of a solid version of Adobe Illus. without shelling out the $$$$$?

I'm getting my Masters right now so $$$$ is TIGHT! Any ideas? Thanks! I love this site by the way, all of you are extremely talented. I'll be displaying some of my stuff soon enough.

Take care

Surge

You can download it from this site for the low price of $80: http://www.oem-softwares.com/?a=order&sid=...orcs=1&x=42&y=1

buffalo_sig.png

Take care

Surge

You can download it from this site for the low price of $80: http://www.oem-softwares.com/?a=order&sid=...orcs=1&x=42&y=1

Thanks alot! though I was hoping for something CHEAPER.

I'll save the link and if nothing else comes up I'll probably do it. $80 IS much better than $400!

Take care

Surge

Thanks alot! though I was hoping for something CHEAPER.

I'll save the link and if nothing else comes up I'll probably do it. $80 IS much better than $400!

There's always bit torrent.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".