Other Design Help

pcgd

I have a printer asking me to put a 1/8" bleed all around on a poster I did for an organization that they are getting printed. The poster size is 11x17. Would it suffice to just to make the image size 11.125x17.125? I'm working in Illustrator by the way.

The odd thing is they want it as a PDF so it's not like they can see the bleed marks or anything since it isn't a AI or EPS file they are getting.

It seems in this case that increasing the image size proportionally by 1/8" of an inch on each side would make the most sense?

I have a printer asking me to put a 1/8" bleed all around on a poster I did for an organization that they are getting printed. The poster size is 11x17. Would it suffice to just to make the image size 11.125x17.125? I'm working in Illustrator by the way.

The odd thing is they want it as a PDF so it's not like they can see the bleed marks or anything since it isn't a AI or EPS file they are getting.

It seems in this case that increasing the image size proportionally by 1/8" of an inch on each side would make the most sense?

depends on the printer, and if they want the image to show to the end.

Some will still print a bleed no matter the image size.

I've had this before where the printer simply asked me to make sure there was no important info or imagery too close to the edge, and they then cropped everything about 5mm smaller than the original size I had indended. If you can't find out the exact specifications they need, I would go with the PDF at 11.125x17.125, but size all your main artwork to a 11x17 margin. If you've got a background design or pattern, make this extend all the way to the 11.125x17.125 edge.

A now a question of my own: Anyone know of a good "teach yourself" Dreamweaver (CS3) kind of book? I have Classroom in a Book, which has a couple of ok tutorials, but goes into hardly any depth.

No, no. If your print is 11.125 x 17.125, that only gives you a 1/16 inch bleed all around. Your print (pre-trim) needs to be 11.25 x 17.25 so you have your 1/8 inch on each side of the edge. And you will set up the .pdf to show the crop marks and bleed, otherwise they will trim into your artwork. Here is a pretty standard prep:

Make your artboard (document size) in Illustrator 11 x 17. Drag 4 guidelines outside the artboard, 1/8 inch from each edge. When you compose your layout, make sure the edges of all bleed images are placed at or beyond these guidelines. Now, while you are saving the .pdf, click the 'Marks & Bleeds' tab on the left. In the 'Marks' section at the top, I usually check 'Trim Marks' (also called crop marks) and 'Registration Marks.' In the 'Bleeds' section underneath, specify 0.125" on each side. Click 'Save.'

Illustrator will automatically expand the artboard to show the extra 1/8 inch and it will add your trim marks and registration marks. I should also add that the trim and registration marks are not completely necessary, as some of printers prefer to set those things up themselves, but make sure you have that 1/8 inch extra all around, meaning you have to increase your page size by 1/4 inch in each direction.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 months later...

This may be a simple fix, and probably the same concept in Corel and Illustrator, but does anyone have any tips specifically for users using Corel, on giving proper perspective to adding a logo to a curved surface such as a football helmet? I always have trouble giving the logos perspective to a "curved" feel, they always seem to feel flat and out of place, any tips or tutorials or guidance would be much appreciated!

Ah, I figured out an awesome method! Using the Effects>Lens>Fish Eye tool does the trick perfectly!

Copy your logo, Draw a circle about x2 the size of your logo, Select the Circle, Select Fish Eye, move the circle to where the logo is in the upper left corner, click "Frozen" Move the cirlce over a bit (because it makes a copy of the original beneath the logo and it's a pain to delete) then Ungroup the circle/logo combo, and delete the circle, viola!

I'm looking for some Flash help, so I'll see if I can get any help here.

Currently I'm developing a Flash website/portfolio for myself, but I've run into an issue. I would like to use transparent backgrounds on my logos (which are .png format), but every time I try to implement the transparent images into the site they get a black background.

Does anyone know any coding tips on how to allow for transparent images in Flash sites?

Picture1-1.png

So you know what I am referring to.

I'm looking for some Flash help, so I'll see if I can get any help here.

Currently I'm developing a Flash website/portfolio for myself, but I've run into an issue. I would like to use transparent backgrounds on my logos (which are .png format), but every time I try to implement the transparent images into the site they get a black background.

Does anyone know any coding tips on how to allow for transparent images in Flash sites?

Picture1-1.png

So you know what I am referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, InDesign CS3 question.....I'm making a presentation board for my final project (total 72 by 94...its the size of the rolling display boards we have at school) and I'm running into a little issue. I'm trying to make a spread of 2 - 36x94 pages so that when exporting as a PDF I can export it as 2 sheets for printing or as the entire board for portfolio/web purposes. When making a spread it seems to only allow me to attach the second page at the right edge of the first one, is there anyway to make it attach to the bottom edge?

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble.

I've been drawing logos on paper for a long time now, and I've been wanting to make the jump between paper to computer. For me todo that, I'm going to trace my current logos (from paper) using whatever program I need (I have Paint.Net) and work from there.

That being said, are there any tutorials for tracing images using Paint.net? If not, is there any other free programs that are great for tracing images?

Thanks for your help

I am just starting to try out Inkscape, and I am a bit confused with the whole file saving process. I know you have to save it as SVG to work in Inkscape, and in PNG as a picture. When I save it as a PNG and then go to view it as a picture (standard Windows photo gallery), it is small and has a lot of extra white space around it. Why is it smaller and how do you make the background transparent?

Also, is there a way to add more than one stroke (outline) to an object?

I have watched GBM's tutorials but I can't figure these two things out. Thanks for any help.

• 2 months later...

I need Vectoring Help. I have an NBA concept but its not going my way because i want to use my drawings. does anybody know and good vectoring programs or can you vector this for me?

TB.jpg?t=1268800268

Thx. BTW, I have better drawings but im just using that as and example. Thx Anyways

THE PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW ME WILL BEGIN TO UNDERSTANDV3NOMsig-1.png

RedSox2-1.pngCeltics-1.pngPatriots2.png