Yankees/Sox Round 3

yankeeman161

I really don't think its lost its luster, but its just midseason. Everyone got hyped up for the playoffs last year, and then again at the beginning of the season because it was the first time they met since the collapse/comeback. Now, it's really just another game (or series). Being a Yankee fan (and having lived and worked in Boston for a bit, so I know a ton of Sox fans), its just another game really. Even the Sox fans I know feel that way. Yeah, we talked about today's game, but there wasn't really any bragging going on, because its just one game. The win/loss column doesn't distinguish between 17-1, 1-0, or 5-4. Our 6-3 win yesterday equals the Sox's 17-1 win today.

The Red Sox and Yankees have ALWAYS been rivals. Things didn't really get heated until the early 70's, during the age of Carlton Fisk, Bill Lee, Craig Nettles and Lou Piniella. It didn't matter if one or both teams were near the bottom of the standings, it was always fun for the fans when one team beat the other.

If people want to complain that the rivalry is overblown and has too much publicity, blame Fox. You want to harp on all the cross-country bandwagoners? Blame Fox. ESPN reports on every game, so of course the Sox-Yankees rivalry is mentioned. But ESPN also goes on about the Cards-Cubs and Giants-Dodgers rivalries as well. Fox is the network that puts this series on its pedestal and is relentless with coverage.

Honestly? I'd rather watch the Sox-Yankees on NESN or TV-38/Ch. 4 here in Boston. It's just better with local flavor, rather than the generic and ear-splitting rantings of McCarver and Buck.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If people want to complain that the rivalry is overblown and has too much publicity, blame Fox. You want to harp on all the cross-country bandwagoners? Blame Fox. ESPN reports on every game, so of course the Sox-Yankees rivalry is mentioned. But ESPN also goes on about the Cards-Cubs and Giants-Dodgers rivalries as well. Fox is the network that puts this series on its pedestal and is relentless with coverage.

Honestly? I'd rather watch the Sox-Yankees on NESN or TV-38/Ch. 4 here in Boston. It's just better with local flavor, rather than the generic and ear-splitting rantings of McCarver and Buck.

If you're referring to Fox as in FSN, you couldn't be more incorrect. FSN doesn't have any daily sports-highlights shows, so they can't hype up what they don't air. If you're referring to Fox as in commercials for their Saturday game, they are doing what any network would do for their next game.....advertise the hell out of it for a week or however long between game broadcasts.

However, ESPN hypes it out the wazoo, and you don't even have to watch SportsCenter. How many other games do ESPN send field reporters when the game isn't on Sunday night? I haven't seen Dave Campbell doing live reports from Wrigley "Stadium" or Busch lately. ESPN covers it in on ESPNews, Cold Pizza, Around the Horn, PTI, Baseball Tonight, and any SportsCenter show.....as the lead story. And when they aren't playing each other, each SportsCenter begins with a Yankees highlight, followed by the Red Sox, and then they analyze each of their games deeper and take up nearly 1/4 of an hour show dedicated to these two games. They'll show higlights pitch-by-pitch of Yankees-Red Sox, then like two total shots from other games.

Fox only talks about Yankees-Red Sox when advertising their game for the upcoming week, then talks about the game in their pre-game show. ESPN talks about the upcoming series two weeks in advance, then takes a trip down Memory Road two weeks after their series.

If I meant FSN, I would have said FSN. I meant Fox. The whole rivalry is always in the news because Fox made it that way. Fox decided what the flavor of the day is, and they promote the hell out of it. ESPN has two major nights of baseball each week, and they make sure every team gets covered at one point or another. Not every Sox-Yankees series gets a Sunday Night slot. But they do get Fox Game-of-the-Week slots.

ESPN has Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight. That's about an hour and a half of baseball coverage every day. Plus, ESPN's headquarters are in Connecticut, right between Boston and New York. So it's not like it's a hassle to send reporters to the games.

Why has the series saturated coverage the last few years? Because the Yankees and Red SOx have been that good as teams. If St. Louis and Chicago were both fighting for the NL Central crown all those years, then they would have been the ones getting the coverage. Same for Giants-Dodgers (though, in all fairness, West Coast team coverage doesn't get the ratings that East Coast coverage does).

Do I think it deserves all this coverage? Not all year. Opening series this year was different. So it should be covered. But after that, the series should be covered like every other series. A quick mention, a little blurb, that's it. Unless there's some freak occurence in the game (a 17-1 drubbing or a fight, for examples), then I think it's ok to make it one of the top stories.

Basically, there should be no extra coverage of any big series until the Pennant Race in September. Until then, they're all just one game out of 162.

I'll tell you why Yankees/Red Sox is so intriguing across the nation...

Cause everyone's former favorite players from their teams were bought by either the yankees or the red sox.

Cause everyone's former favorite players from their teams were bought by either the yankees or the red sox.

?said the fan of the team ranked #6 in payroll, the same team signing free agents Mark Mulder, David Eckstein and Mark Grudzielanek in the off-season.

MLB TEAM PAYROLL (US$)

1. NY Yankees 205,938,439

2. Boston 121,311,945

3. NY Mets 104,770,139

4. Philadelphia 95,337,908

5. LA Angels 95,017,822

6. St. Louis 92,919,842

7. San Francisco 89,487,426

8. Chicago Cubs 87,210,933

9. Seattle 85,883,334

10. Atlanta 85,148,582

11. LA Dodgers 81,029,500

12. Houston 76,779,022

13. Chicago Sox 75,228,000

14. Baltimore 74,570,539

15. Detroit 68,998,183

16. Arizona 63,015,833

17. San Diego 62,888,192

18. Florida 60,375,961

19. Cincinnati 59,658,275

20. Minnesota 56,615,000

21. Oakland 55,869,262

22. Texas 53,891,258

23. Washington 48,581,500

24. Colorado 48,107,500

25. Toronto 45,038,500

26. Cleveland 41,830,400

27. Milwaukee 40,234,833

28. Pittsburgh 38,133,000

29. Tampa Bay 37,975,067

30. Kansas City 36,881,000

?said the fan of the team ranked #6 in payroll, the same team signing free agents Mark Mulder, David Eckstein and Mark Grudzielanek in the off-season.

Wasn't Mulder acquired by trade? ;)

That's why it pays to have a wonderful farm system (see: Atlanta Braves).

If I meant FSN, I would have said FSN. I meant Fox. The whole rivalry is always in the news because Fox made it that way. Fox decided what the flavor of the day is, and they promote the hell out of it. ESPN has two major nights of baseball each week, and they make sure every team gets covered at one point or another. Not every Sox-Yankees series gets a Sunday Night slot. But they do get Fox Game-of-the-Week slots.

ESPN has Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight. That's about an hour and a half of baseball coverage every day. Plus, ESPN's headquarters are in Connecticut, right between Boston and New York. So it's not like it's a hassle to send reporters to the games.

Why has the series saturated coverage the last few years? Because the Yankees and Red SOx have been that good as teams. If St. Louis and Chicago were both fighting for the NL Central crown all those years, then they would have been the ones getting the coverage. Same for Giants-Dodgers (though, in all fairness, West Coast team coverage doesn't get the ratings that East Coast coverage does).

Do I think it deserves all this coverage? Not all year. Opening series this year was different. So it should be covered. But after that, the series should be covered like every other series. A quick mention, a little blurb, that's it. Unless there's some freak occurence in the game (a 17-1 drubbing or a fight, for examples), then I think it's ok to make it one of the top stories.

Basically, there should be no extra coverage of any big series until the Pennant Race in September. Until then, they're all just one game out of 162.

Fox can only hype what it airs. Other than TWIB and the All-Star Game, the Saturday "Games of the Week" are Fox's only baseball programming during the season. How else are they going to promote their games if they don't advertise through sports events and commercials? Fox advertises through NASCAR races, and ESPN through their shows and NBA games. And why shouldn't Fox talk about Red Sox-Yankees during the 20-minute pre-game? The next time the two teams play on Fox is July 16. After Monday, which network is more likely to mention the next Yankees-Red Sox series....Fox or ESPN? Will Fox start advertising that game tomorrow during the race, or will they mention next Saturday's games?

When the Yankees were in their slump, did they trot out any field reporters when Oakland was in town? How often do you see ESPN send field reporters to a Tigers-Red Sox game, or a Mariners-Yankees game, or any Mets game? Close to never. Only Red Sox-Yankees, all 19 games, all season long.

And, for the record, I saw no higlights of the Astros-Brewers game from tonight, for example, but I did see 12 minutes of Yankees-Red Sox coverage. Even Cleveland's 22-0 win over the Yankees didn't get that much air time after the first few minutes.

MLB TEAM PAYROLL (US$)

1. NY Yankees 205,938,439

2. Boston 121,311,945

3. NY Mets 104,770,139

4. Philadelphia 95,337,908

5. LA Angels 95,017,822

6. St. Louis 92,919,842

7. San Francisco 89,487,426

8. Chicago Cubs 87,210,933

9. Seattle 85,883,334

10. Atlanta 85,148,582

11. LA Dodgers 81,029,500

12. Houston 76,779,022

13. Chicago Sox 75,228,000

14. Baltimore 74,570,539

15. Detroit 68,998,183

16. Arizona 63,015,833

17. San Diego 62,888,192

18. Florida 60,375,961

19. Cincinnati 59,658,275

20. Minnesota 56,615,000

21. Oakland 55,869,262

22. Texas 53,891,258

23. Washington 48,581,500

24. Colorado 48,107,500

25. Toronto 45,038,500

26. Cleveland 41,830,400

27. Milwaukee 40,234,833

28. Pittsburgh 38,133,000

29. Tampa Bay 37,975,067

30. Kansas City 36,881,000

6th...

Look at the difference in numbers. You guys have the entire Royals payroll in front of us and number 1 doubles us. That's the difference I'm talking about. No other spot jumps up 15 million.

And yes, Muelder came through trade.

Grudz was cheap, and Eckstein wasn't stolen away from a team that wanted him (20/20 I'm glad it happened though). I'd hardly consider those 2 marquee signings anyway (although they've become marquee signings)

The win/loss column doesn't distinguish between 17-1, 1-0, or 5-4. Our 6-3 win yesterday equals the Sox's 17-1 win today.

Yeah, but the 17-1 helped too much to drive another good win, 7-2 tonight.

Now the Red Sox added one victory more in the win/loss column. ;)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Did you see yesterday tonite? Yankees were swept by Royals.

It seems like the Boston's 17-1 and 7-2 helped too much to discourage the Yankees so they started to lose to a very low team like the KC Royals.

Then it impacted heavily the win/loss column. Don't subestimate the effect of a loss by alots of runs.

pennants.png

Yeah... they have still time to recover themselves.

But the point was that a tough defeat has really more impact than some people suspected.

pennants.png

Archived