New uniforms...

please don't flame me on this but some teams i think could use new uniforms or at least a little tweak....

--minnesota twolves---(home unis)i like the basic look except drop the pine trees from the trim and go with just "wolves" on the front, change the numbering font.

--(away unis) change to a darker blue (but not much darker), have a v-neck style w/o trim colors, have "minnesota" in something like block front (same with the lettering font) keep the colors as blue, black, white and silver.

--st.louis cardinals--(away unis only) i like the home unis just fine but change the roads by changing to a cursive font  that says "saint louis" w/o the bat and cardinals.

--kansas city chiefs--(home unis) make the red on the sleeves and numbers darker, change the yellow to a "purdue gold" keep in between the red and yellow add black trim (just a slight amount), have a white neck trim added.

--(road unis) have darker red, the numbers are still red but with "purdue gold" trim sleeve trim same as home unis above, have "kansas city" or "chiefs" under neck trim, add red neck trim.    both home and uniform style would be basically like they are now except those changes.

--kansas jayhawks with the "supposed" new uniforms this fall keep the "kansas block" lettering style but on the home uniforms should say "jayhawks" on the front and "kansas" on the back of the shorts, the road uniforms would be just the opposite.

that's all for now but i'll probablly think of more.

sms.gif

--kansas city chiefs--(home unis) make the red on the sleeves and numbers darker, change the yellow to a "purdue gold" keep in between the red and yellow add black trim (just a slight amount), have a white neck trim added.

--(road unis) have darker red, the numbers are still red but with "purdue gold" trim sleeve trim same as home unis above, have "kansas city" or "chiefs" under neck trim, add red neck trim. both home and uniform style would be basically like they are now except those changes.

as a 49ers fan....no, absolutely not

For the Cards, you can't touch the "birds-on-the-bat" script. Although they made slight alterations to it in the late 1990's, it's been pretty much the same for over 45 years, and the birds-on-the-bat themselves have been there for over 80 years. It's as tradition-bound as the Yankees' N-Y monogram or the Tigers' Old English D logo. The last time they tried to change it was 1956, when they went from the old style of the birds-on-the-bat to a script "Cardinals" with an underline flourish. A good-looking style, but too controversial for Cardinals fans. For 1957, it was changed to the current style. Below are links to the Baseball HOF uniform exhibit which shows these changes...

1955 St. Louis Cardinals

1956 St. Louis Cardinals

1957 St. Louis Cardinals

QPR%20Sig.png

I agree with Shark, if you make those Chiefs changes, all you would have is a 49er uniform with a red helmet. For the forseeable future, I would have to say that KC (along with four or five others) is one of the "untouchable" designs of the NFL. Besides, as a fan, I would be devastated if the team changed their unis.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

For the Cards, you can't touch the "birds-on-the-bat" script. Although they made slight alterations to it in the late 1990's, it's been pretty much the same for over 45 years, and the birds-on-the-bat themselves have been there for over 80 years. It's as tradition-bound as the Yankees' N-Y monogram or the Tigers' Old English D logo. The last time they tried to change it was 1956, when they went from the old style of the birds-on-the-bat to a script "Cardinals" with an underline flourish. A good-looking style, but too controversial for Cardinals fans. For 1957, it was changed to the current style. Below are links to the Baseball HOF uniform exhibit which shows these changes...

1955 St. Louis Cardinals

1956 St. Louis Cardinals

1957 St. Louis Cardinals

Good of you to point this out, Moser.  For those of you who may not already know, the Cardinals will be moving into a new downtown stadium in 2006 which will also mark the 50th season for the Cardinals to wear the birds-on-bat with script (as opposed to print) "Cardinals" on their uniforms.  I have heard from people who have marketing connections to the team that the team may be considering a uniform change to coincide with the new stadium but that change will probably be limited to changing the pure white home jerseys to more of a cream, a'la the Giants, and possibly putting some stripes back on the uniforms.  There was also some chatter about reducing the use of the red cap to a Sunday-only role and ditching the bird-on-bat altogether, however none of this information comes from anyone actually in the organization, so take it for what it's worth.

i wonder if the cards would bring back that batting cardinal from the 1956 uniform in some form.  can't put it on the sleeves for obvious reasons, but maybe on the alternate hat.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think you have to be careful when suggesting changes to traditional unis like the Cards because of just the reaction you see above- fans get insensed!! I personally think the chiefs could get away with a more modern look based on their current look, sort of a football style of what the Pistons did in going back to blue and red the other year!

I think the problem with constantly updating unis is what is highlighted by what you say about the T'wolves, and I would personally say it holds true for a number of similar aged teams across the sports. If you make your look too much of a fashion thing it needs changing more quickly than a more traditional look- The Yankees can pretty much keep playing in the same uni for 100 years and no-one would care, but the Royals will probably change again away from the black add ons in time!

I think this is where alternates should come in- make the alternate as crazy as you like! Your team won't HAVE to wear it all that often and if it doesnt work you can change it in a couple of years anyway!!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

i wonder if the cards would bring back that batting cardinal from the 1956 uniform in some form. can't put it on the sleeves for obvious reasons, but maybe on the alternate hat.

Discrim, that logo has stayed around a long time. It's known as the SluggerBird. I thought it may have disappeared with the most recent but small update the Cardinals had. I was all set to create a new one, but I figured out they updated it themselves, but it gets less use it appears.

New:

cardsSluggerbirdFull.gif

Old:

logo-1987alternate.jpg

looking, i sort of prefer the old slugger bird, the new one looks a little cartoony for the cards, even if they don't use it all that much.

2016cubscreamsig.png

I agree. But the new one matches the current set. I say close his beak and give him less of an eye sparkle and he'd look serious again.

Agreed... and get rid of those stirrup-socks. Just looks dumb and out of place.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Granted, the Cardinals uniforms are classic...but I would make the following changes:

Home and road unis get red sleeve and front piping.

Red home alternate, patterened on the 2002 BP jersey. I have a couple of these, and they are gorgeous!

Blue road alternate, a reverse image of the above.

All with birds on bat and script!

OK, I'm gonna pipe in with my one change I'd make to the Cardinals jerseys.

And that's this: bring back "St. Louis" to the road grays, like they did in the Gas House Gang era. With the birds-on-a-bat.

I'd use a red-sleeved vest as a Sunday third, but that's it. I wouldn't make it permanent.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I disagree, the Cardinals are the one team that gets a pass from me for having their nicknames on the front of their road jerseys.  It's the power of those birds-on-the-bat ;)

QPR%20Sig.png

Granted, the Cardinals uniforms are classic...but I would make the following changes:

Home and road unis get red sleeve and front piping.

Red home alternate, patterened on the 2002 BP jersey. I have a couple of these, and they are gorgeous!

Blue road alternate, a reverse image of the above.

All with birds on bat and script!

i disagree with the blue alternate suggestion...mainly cus i've done two red cubs jerseys (one of which i lost somewhere), and have heard comments on how weird primarily red looks for em...imagine what the cards fans here would think about the reverse, blue jerseys(yes, i know they have two navy blue hats but that's not the point).  the cubs are blue with some red, the cardinals are red with some blue, and that's the way it's been for almost forever.  citing that as one of the reasons i've never done a cardinals concept-they've had it right for a long time and don't need anything more.

2016cubscreamsig.png

If I recall correctly, when the cardinals added the blue road hat in 1992, the had a navy blue Batting Practice Jersey, I think this was the only year they wore it but i could be wrong.  I dont think it looked so bad but i dont remeber for sure

I agree the red BP looks good, and I have seen the reverse in navy. It too looks good. However, the Cards don't need an alt jersey. Especially not two. I think they could get away with a Sunday home alt jersey though. I'm gonna have to put some concepts together.

Oh, and while I don't find it necessary, I wouldn't mind St. Louis on the roads as long as it's the cursive version with the birds on the bat.

Archived