The Green Bay Packers will retire Reggie White's n

brinkeguthrie

'The NFL prefers teams honor players by retiring their jerseys, not their numbers'

what does this mean?

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - The Green Bay Packers will retire Reggie White's number at halftime ceremonies of their home opener against the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 18.

Team president Bob Harlan said he had told White before his death last December that he wanted to add his No. 92 to the retired numbers listed in the north end zone at Lambeau Field. "He was thrilled. He kept saying what an honor that would be," Harlan said Tuesday.

White, who suffered from a respiratory ailment, died Dec. 26 at age 43.

He joined the Packers in 1993 in one of the biggest free agent signings in sports history and during a six-year stay helped restore respectability to a faded franchise. He helped lead the Packers to a Super Bowl triumph over New England following the 1996 season.

The Packers only four retired numbers: fullback Tony Canadeo (3), wide receiver Don Hutson (14), quarterback Bart Starr (15) and linebacker Ray Nitschke (66).

The NFL prefers teams honor players by retiring their jerseys, not their numbers, but Harlan said White deserves a special honor.

"We're going to have to do it with No. 4 someday, too," Harlan said, referring to quarterback Brett Favre.

"I always look at Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Reggie White and Brett Favre, these guys revived this franchise when I think a lot of our fans had given up hope that it was ever going to happen. I just think we have to honor these men."

'The NFL prefers teams honor players by retiring their jerseys, not their numbers'

what does this mean?

I dont know but it sounds stupid.

Assuming that the league won't end in the near future, the NFL doesn't want teams handcuffed because of retired numbers. I think a ring of honor like the Cowboys use is sufficient.

The worst reason to retire a number has been retiring #12 in honor of the fans. Hell, all fans would deserve that from their team. This always seemed like pandering for PR purposes alone.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

what does this mean?

So nobody else who's last name is White would be allowed to wear #92 on the Packers?

That's kinda weak.

6uXNWAo.png

what does this mean?

Assuming that the league won't end in the near future, the NFL doesn't want teams handcuffed because of retired numbers. I think a ring of honor like the Cowboys use is sufficient.

The worst reason to retire a number has been retiring #12 in honor of the fans. Hell, all fans would deserve that from their team. This always seemed like pandering for PR purposes alone.

The Seahawks also have a Ring of Honor...

Anyway, I think he deserves it.

The NFL is different from other sports in that numbers are specifically distributed by position. So if your team "retires" two players' jerseys whose numbers are in the 90s, that only leaves 8 roster spots for linebackers or ends (for example).

There's nothing wrong with honoring the player with a spot in a "Ring of Honor" instead of retiring the jersey. The player will still be glorified in perpetuity at the stadium.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I agree that teams shouldn't retire numbers willy-nilly. Retiring any number for "the fans" is silly and pandering. Bad form.

Still, some players deserve it. Tony Canadeo and Don Hutson deserved it. Ray Nitschke and Bart Starr deserved it. Reggie White and Brett Favre deserve it. Heck, I'd like to see the Packers retire #1 in 2019 to honor the only man who ever wore it - Curly Lambeau. :D

Other than those, I applaud the Packers for their restraint. Twelve world championships, 80+ years, 21 Hall of Famers, and only four retired numbers?

I know the Colts still retire numbers although the only ones that come to mind are #19 (Unitas), #82(Raymond Berry), and #89 (Gino Marchetti). But they might stop that because it already forced one player out of the regular numbers (Dallas Clark) which is a shame because Marvin Harrison deserves a number! [/endrant]

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived