St. Louis soccer concept

-kj

So, this idea popped in my head a day or two ago about creating a St. Louis soccer team, and styling its logo somewhat off of more traditional European crests. I'm not sure what name I'd give this club (or what nickname the team would have), but here's my crazy idea, much of which is taken from the St. Louis city flag. I couldn't decide on which numbering to use--something generic like what a league would use (and I didn't have the Premership numbers on-hand), or something a little more unique for the team.

Badge:

stl-crest-sm.png

Primary kit:

stl-home.png

Away kit:

stl-away.png

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yah, of all your concepts kevin, i really think this one is best thought-through and presented.

well done.

Now get on redesigning the Thunder's logo, which is somewhere between the Minnesota Kicks, and Minnesota Strikers in its level of suckitude.

Great, GREAT uniforms! I love the. I have always wished the Revs would wear something like the blue and red ones - somewhat Barcelona-like. I like the arches on the shorts.

By-the-way...MLS only allows the use of their own black or white numbers (though Chivas has been given the okay to use gold for some reason) which are very much like the ones you use on the blue and red unis.

I think the yellow ones are great too. A fantastic 2nd uniform. Great job.

I love the badge.

It's a unique take on a traditional look, with the shield shape flipped upside down. Great job of incorporating the arch and river.

Not really a criticism, but did you try a less angular font for 'STL'?

Rounder letters might fit nicely with the river's curves.

Nice Uniforms, again, the angular numbers are the only thing I don't like.

i love your concept. - but i have a general complaint when it comes to soccer concepts on these boards:

no one uses current uniform designs by the manufactureres. Yes, complain as people do about it, most, if not all of the soccer manufacturers, even the little ones, are templating their designs for their kits. Nike does it with their total 90 line, adidas with their shark, cosmos, ezeiza, and premio designs. Kappa. Joma, Umbro, Diadora, Reebok, the list goes on and on. So why not look at these manufacturers designs and fit your design to the technology and templates they have created? In my opinion it would add a whole other dimension, professionalism, and added realism to these designs. when i get the chance to, I'll post some of the European fantasy soccer designs I have made so you can see how good they look. A suggestion to all who create soccer designs: check out www.colours-of-football.com - they have all of the current kits used by teams from leagues around the world so that you can not only stay updated on who is wearing what, but also what the manufacturers are bringing out from a design standpoint.

Now back to your concept -

I too love the design of your crest - its really original and i too like the arch design incorporated into it. Try maybe keeping the letters in the boundary of the arch rather than below it - thats a very european thing to do, also maybe spell out "st louis football club" or whatever you want to call it. you can see almost all of the crests from every league in the world at www.hqfl.dk and download them for free as well. If you wouldn't mind, I would love to create uniforms for you as i have most of the manufacturer's template designs on my comp as vector files. if you'd pick out a manufacturer, i'd would mold your design to the manufacturer's template. it's up to you, it'd give me something to do, but no big deal.

anyways sorry for the rant. nice job on your concept!

OD_Signature.jpg

Guys, thanks for the compliments. I hadn't taken my design side out for a spin in a while; it was nice to stretch the creative legs, if you will.

It struck me that many of you haven't ever seen the St. Louis city flag, so here you go.

us-mo-sl.gif

I took the colours directly from that, though they may not be wholly accurate. I meant to go through my PANTONE list and pick proper colours from it... but I didn't. I should do that still.

To address some of the critiques given already (please, keep 'em coming!):

The "angular" font is actually supposed to be somewhat gothic/calligraphic (forgive my improper terminology), giving it an "old world" feel. I also like how the curvature of the bottom of the numbers hints towards the wave motion. But, realizing that many leauges (Prem, MLS, etc) have their own league-wide fonts, I also tried out the more rounded font for the numbers. I didn't want to use such a generic style font for the lettering on the badge, however.

I know that MLS (supposedly) only allows black or white numbers... BUT DANGIT, THERE'S NO BLACK IN THE TEAM COLOURS AND THEREFORE THE NUMBERS WILL NOT BE IN BLACK. (Ahem, sorry.)

As for putting the full city name on the badge, I thought about that, and could try it out. It struck me that there were three spaces at the bottom, and "StL" is a widely-used abbreviation for St. Louis. (It's strictly coincidence that the upper-case T in that font is actually a lower-case character.)

I'm still up in the air about removing the stripes from the yellow shirt. A couple people elsewhere have suggested that, and I can see where they're going with it.

Regarding the manufacturer templates... no offense to you, geordie_delini, but NO NO DEAR GOD NO. :cursing: I hate that. I really do. Much of clubs' individuality is being sucked away by these manufacturers. I understand why they and the clubs do it--cost, ease of design, brand identity, etc. But I really don't like the effect. Take a look at the World Cup, for example. Bah. BAH. (Sorry... a bit of a rant. But I would be curious to see those templates, if even just in a raster layout.)

Besides that, the layout of the kits was by design. The piping on the shirt is supposed to mimick the club crest--the arch on the front, connecting to the waves on the back. This also allowed for a solid-coloured area to put the name/number on. The sides of the shorts have the arch piping, as well as a single stripe running down the middle of that.

Thanks again for all the compliments and critiques. It's a silly project, but it's fun to work a project through to completion, even if it's not going to be used for anything.

POTD 2013-08-22

Now get on redesigning the Thunder's logo, which is somewhere between the Minnesota Kicks, and Minnesota Strikers in its level of suckitude.

I might say that about their original logo. Their newer one is... it's a decent design, but it has nothing to do with the name.

But, yeah, the Kicks and Strikers both had hideous logos.

POTD 2013-08-22

No-no! Don't take the stripes out of the yellow shirts! That gives them a kind of uniqueness that a plain yellow might not. It's okay if they don't jump out at you and say there's stripoes there. Even if they are a little subliminal, I think they look very good.

• 1 month later...

Here's a bump, of sorts, along with a move since we now have the seperate concepts area.

I've updated this with a "more complete" concept, it's now my fantasy premiership team for the IFA, known as Saint Louis Fleur AFC. There are now two pairs of shorts shown, which could be worn interchangably with both the home and away shirts. The blue shorts would be considered the primary shorts for both. Added are also a manufacturer logo (XARA) and a sponsor (Energizer batteries).

I've also added a keeper kit. It's... loud. :D

stl-keeper.png

POTD 2013-08-22

Awesome job Mockba. Great way to incorporate several things into a great identity
yeah - what EZ said, that's what I would say. :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Just saw this and i have to say it is one of the best uniform concepts i have ever seen. you made it look like a "classic" soccer uniform. you incorporated the city colors right off the flag in the tradition of the cardinals and blues. you used the city symbol and the arch in a very classy way..

Just saw this and i have to say it is one of the best uniform concepts i have ever seen. you made it look like a "classic" soccer uniform. you incorporated the city colors right off the flag in the tradition of the cardinals and blues. you used the city symbol and the arch in a very classy way..

I just stumbled across this too...this is fantastic! Great work.

Cards.png

Archived