Worst major professional sports logo

amare32

I voted for the predators since the use a sabre-tooth tiger when there's a team named the sabres. And why is the Broncos logo on the list, that's one of the best logos.

There's a difference between a sabER-toothed tiger and the Buffalo SabREs.  ???

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I happen to think the Predators logos is one of the best in the league (although I hate the alternate logo!).

And the logo of a sabretooth tiger makes perfect sense.  It originated from the unearthing of the remains of a sabretooth tiger near downtown Nashville sometime in the '90s.  There *is* a tie-in, it's just not obvious without the full story.

I love the Blue Jackets logo.  The Hawks logo is also an excellent logo IMO.  The Predators logo looks great IMO, but I also hate their third jersey logos.  The Broncos is simple and defined, another winner.

To me it's a toss up between the Wizards and the Blue Jays.  But in the end, at least I can tell what the Blue Jays logos is, plus I take solace in that that very logo may be gone by next year.

My vote goes to the Wizards.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

For me, it's kind of like there are levels of logos.  Now, I hate the Broncos identity with a passion...I can't stand it.  But, it's not poorly done or ill conceived...it's subjective hatred. So thats one level.  Then there is stuff so God-awful it defies explanation.  The BlueJackets and Wizards are in that group...and a couple others as well.  I can't rank the crappiness...its like once you've sunk so low, I want to pretend you dont exist....not hold you up against other crap and see who stinks worse.

I am surprised the Preds and Broncs are on here, but as an earlier caller said...its largely subjective.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

ummm, too many polls.

Anywho, I have a little piece of info you might find funny. The Sabres mascot is a Sabertooth tiger. Now here's a team with an identity crisis: Called the Sabres, a buffalo on the jerseys, and sabertooth tiger as the mascot.

It's gotta be the Bluejackets for worst logo. They should have known they couldn't have a good logo when they named the team for soldiers. The logos would either wind up looking like the Brampton Battalion, The Washington Capital's eagle, or the eyesore they currently wear. And their wearing the state flag as a logo for the alt. What is that?? and what is electric lime green doing in the color scheme?  Also the J(hockey stick) is before the B in the logo, so it reads Columbus Jackets Blue.  

:D :D 300 POSTS :D :D

I'm torn between choosing the Blue Jackets or the Wizards! To logos are bad, but at least the scripts are OK. Too bad the Rockets changed their logo because I would have voted for the old one!

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, I realize that I'm going to be decidely in the minority on this one, but I've got to stand my ground and speak my mind.

I don't know that the Columbus Blue Jackets' logo belongs in this poll. Worst major professional sports logo? No. IMHO, that "honor" belongs to the atrocity that is the Houston Rockets' new logo. For those who feel that it is too soon to bestow such a title on the Rockets... well, there's always the Tennessee Titans' "Flaming Thumbtack". Why the Titans relegated their brilliant "T-Sword" mark to secondary status, I'll never know. However, i digress.

The worst thing that I can say about the Blue Jackets' current primary logo is that it is uninspired... it is boring... it is "Meh". It is a middle-of-the-road mediocrity in a field of logos that is fast becoming full of such marks. What is truly disappointing is that the Blue Jackets had the chance to be boldly different when they entered the realm of MAJOR professional sports, yet they failed to sieze the opportunity. I am speaking of their abandonment of the team's original - albeit, decidedly MINOR league-inspired - primary mark.

Yes, you remember it. The definitively youth-oriented logo featuring team mascot "Stinger". There was "Stinger", front-and-center in the logo, in all of his Neon Lime Green, Bulging Red-Eyed, Union Army-uniformed glory. It was a logo that played with the idea of "Blue Jacket" not just being slang for a Union Army soldier, but also a heretofore unknown insect... perhaps a relative of Georgia Tech's Yellowjacket and minor-league baseball's Augusta Greenjacket.

Frankly, I LOVED it! Was it goofy? Yeah, probably. But who said that an NHL franchise's logo had to be some staid, boring corporate-looking logo? There was something gloriously off-the-wall about it. It shattered precedent at the "big league" level... and why not? This was an EXPANSION franchise granted in 1996! It's not like the sports-loving public needed to defend the tradition of an "Original Six", steeped-in-historic significance team, here. We were talking about an expansion team in Columbus, Ohio. Have some fun with it for heaven's sake!

But, no. The oh-so-serious sports fans and logo mavens decried the mark as being "beneath the dignity" of the NHL, and the folks in the Blue Jackets' front-office lost their nerve. Soon, what was supposed to have been a secondary mark featuring a patriotic length of star-spangled ribbon and a hockey stick, became the main crest on everything from the team's jerseys to its letterhead. And "Stinger"? He was banished to the jersey shoulders and the kids' section on the Columbus Blue Jacket website. I'll tell you right now: If I bought the Columbus Blue Jackets tomorrow, the first thing that I would do is put "Stinger" where he belongs... on the front of the sweaters!!!

Oh, and that star-spangled ribbon and a hockey stick? It's not the worst logo in major professional sports. I just don't think that it was ever meant to bear the scrutiny - to "carry the load", so to speak - of being a primary mark. It's just a serviceable secondary logo. Nothing more, nothing less. Which is, after all, what it was designed to be.

Brian in Boston

The predators logo is by far the worst. I hate that thing as much now as when it first came out. The Broncos logo is a strong second

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I love the depth, and how intricate your answers are brian, who is in boston.  But in my mind, the fact that it wasnt supposed to be a main logo thrusts it even further into the 'what the poo is that' category.

I dont think we have enough baseball logos on here, maybe the rangers for shamelessly taking the expos logo??

But my vote goes for the bluejackets. And im sorry, the green bluejacket bug was also in bad taste.

I'm not voting in this poll coz I don't think any of those logos are that bad! I mean how did the Broncos horse get on the list- Thats one of the best IMHO!! The Preds logo isnt great but hey its not rubbish either- What about the Raptors cartoon dinosaur or Sonics er- actually what is that the Sonics have now?!?!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Hmmm.... the more I think about it... the only reason I think the Blue Jackets logo is bad is because of the CBJ. I actually like the stinger! As for the wizards, well, I don't like the primary or secondary logos. I don't think I can come up with a better logo though.

I'm now focusing on the Baltimore Ravens primary as one of the worst logos.

I saw, I came, I left.

Although theyre my fav team, i had to go with the Blue Jays. Absolutely terrible. Especially on a hat or helmet. Why in the world did they change? Their 2nd-gen Maple leaf with the Jay in front was awesome. If the Preds alternate logo was on here, it would win hands down. I really dont mind the Primary logo.

I dont get why the Broncos and Hawks are on here. I think both of those are pretty sharp, especially Denver

Archived