Carolina MLS concept

dgnmrwrw

why not call it "S.C." instead of "F.C." since it's called soccer in America, and the word football represents a completly different sport.

I think "S.C." would make things confusing. Think about it. If they played in North Carolina(N.C.), calling them Triangle S.C. would make it seem like they are from South Carolina.

I like the traditional "F.C."

I wish the MLS would revamp the league. Given Dallas has repackaged themselves, along with Chivas coming into the league, there is an oppertunity to give the league a facelift. Although, I think Salt Lake Real sounds kind of forced, I like the the fact they didn't choose a name that ended in zz.

BTW, I like these uniforms.

rangersCBSig.gif

why not call it  "S.C." instead of "F.C."  since it's called soccer in America, and the word football represents a completly different sport.

I think "S.C." would make things confusing. Think about it. If they played in North Carolina(N.C.), calling them Triangle S.C. would make it seem like they are from South Carolina.

I like the traditional "F.C."

I wish the MLS would revamp the league. Given Dallas has repackaged themselves, along with Chivas coming into the league, there is an oppertunity to give the league a facelift. Although, I think Salt Lake Real sounds kind of forced, I like the the fact they didn't choose a name that ended in zz.

BTW, I like these uniforms.

I agree with all of this. The league does seem to be making an effort to become "legit" in terms of its club names, though Real Salt Lake is a big stretch.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

You could also go with "AC" (AC Milan) but I like FC also. SC wouldn't work if the team is playing in North Carolina. "Deportivo de Carolina" would also be a nod to the exploding Latino population that is in the Triangle, in the same way that Chivas USA is cornering the Latino market in L.A. (Which is what makes "Real" Salt Lake an awkward execution of a great name idea (and PLEASE don't pronounce it "reel", it shows a lack of soccer knowledge, and basic Spanish for that matter).)

As for the uniforms, the more Carolina blue, the better! :D I like the last kit you designed, with the red piping encircling the vertical stripes. The only I would not go with was the 2nd original set - the cluster of vertical stripes wouldn't look right if they went down the back in the same way, and it would make the numbers look very awkward.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The league does seem to be making an effort to become "legit" in terms of its club names, though Real Salt Lake is a big stretch.

I call BS (and not the user formerly known as). What makes Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas more "legit" names? What a load.

I'll qualify that... I love soccer/football/whatever you call it. I love the English game, I love how club have their club names, which come from cities or regions or random things. It's developed over a century-plus of the game, and it's a fine tradition.

However, in the US (and Canada), team names have gone about a different evolution. I think a lot of it has to do with the relatively spread out nature of the land, and the civic pride that these clubs have tried to instill--in England, for example, a ton of clubs could be called "London," so they had to come up with different names. This goes back to the late 19th Century with the National League and its predecessors, as well as the early teams that competed for the Stanley Cup.

So, each region has developed its own set of traditions. It is true that soccer is not a game with particular US/Canada roots. But, when you're developing soccer as a spectator sport here, it's to be expected that you model your team nomenclature in the prevailing tradition of the area. So, while I see what you're getting at, and I'd love to see the soccer club model develop here, I dispute that it's somehow demeaning to the game to have team names that involve cities and nicknames.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The league does seem to be making an effort to become "legit" in terms of its club names, though Real Salt Lake is a big stretch.

I call BS (and not the user formerly known as). What makes Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas more "legit" names? What a load.

I'll qualify that... I love soccer/football/whatever you call it. I love the English game, I love how club have their club names, which come from cities or regions or random things. It's developed over a century-plus of the game, and it's a fine tradition.

However, in the US (and Canada), team names have gone about a different evolution. I think a lot of it has to do with the relatively spread out nature of the land, and the civic pride that these clubs have tried to instill--in England, for example, a ton of clubs could be called "London," so they had to come up with different names. This goes back to the late 19th Century with the National League and its predecessors, as well as the early teams that competed for the Stanley Cup.

So, each region has developed its own set of traditions. It is true that soccer is not a game with particular US/Canada roots. But, when you're developing soccer as a spectator sport here, it's to be expected that you model your team nomenclature in the prevailing tradition of the area. So, while I see what you're getting at, and I'd love to see the soccer club model develop here, I dispute that it's somehow demeaning to the game to have team names that involve cities and nicknames.

Well, I think "FC Dallas" is a more legit name than "Burn" in any context. I don't think it has to be a Euro-soccer type name but at least it should be intelligent.

Also, I don't think the evolution of US teamsport nicknames has as much to do with having more "Civic Pride" or anything - it seems more of a difference between having Clubs per se vs. Franchises.

I'm with DomainMaster on this one. The MLS exemplified the very worst trend in team naming to hit American shores: the collective noun as team nickname.

I blame the Heat and the Magic for making this trendy, but I guess the New Orleans Jazz should shoulder the blame as well. Which begat the Lightning, the Wild, and a disturbing chunk of the MLS (Fire, Mutiny, Crew, Burn, Wiz [?!], Galaxy, Clash, Fusion, Revolution), sparing only the MetroStars and DC United, which was at least novel and quasi-European. Fortunately this trend is on the decline after it hit epidemic proportions in the WNBA and the XFL.

At least the MLS is trying to right their wrongs, and they're making a play for serious American soccer fans who follow soccer abroad by mimicking the best-known teams in the best-known leagues.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 10 months later...

Yeah, this has been a dormant topic for almost a year, but there's a reason I'm bringing it back up.

The USL First Division is expanding to Cary, NC (suburban Raleigh) in 2007. The USL is also holding an all-star game at SAS Soccer Park in Cary on July 19, where the USL-1 all-stars will play Sheffield Wednesday.

What does this have to do with the Triangle FC concept? Well, the new Cary USL-1 team will be unveiling its name, logo, and colors at the all-star game. Someone on the USLDiscussions.com message board made a (not very serious) comment that it will be the "Carolina Cardinals." When I saw that, this concept came to mind.

Unfortunately, dgnmrwrw removed the images from his photobucket account, so we can't see the brilliance that was this concept. Hey, dgnmrwrw, still have this sitting around somewhere?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Unfortunately, dgnmrwrw removed the images from his photobucket account, so we can't see the brilliance that was this concept. Hey, dgnmrwrw, still have this sitting around somewhere?

I've got the final design that I settled on... here it is.

Triangle.gif

And I think 'Cardinals' would be a good name.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived