World Cup qualifying thread

NYBadshah1

Does the United States actually have a legit shot at winning the World Cup in 2006? It seems like they get better and better every year. I know I'll be rooting for then in Germany next year. :flagusa:

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking at the staindings. I think the Turkey, France and Cameroon need to step it up a bit. It's nice to see Ukraine and Switzerland in first place in their respective group :) I don't know about the US winning the World Cup next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually win one. But with teams like Brazil, Argentina and Germany, it's hard to imagine the US getting past these countries.

I saw, I came, I left.

After looking at the staindings. I think the Turkey, France and Cameroon need to step it up a bit. It's nice to see Ukraine and Switzerland in first place in their respective group :) I don't know about the US winning the World Cup next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually win one. But with teams like Brazil, Argentina and Germany, it's hard to imagine the US getting past these countries.

Be it not for some handling of the ball in the last world cup, we would have been tied with Germany 2-2.

I'd say it's possible for the US to win, but not probable. Maybe in a few more years, Adu will certaintly help.

Be it not for some handling of the ball in the last world cup, we would have been tied with Germany 2-2.

I'd say it's possible for the US to win, but not probable. Maybe in a few more years, Adu will certaintly help.

Yeah, its possible with the way that the U.S. is now a respected soccer team internationally. They're my darkhorse, because if they play about 20% better than they did in Korea, they'll have a shot.

But you all know who I'm rooting for. :P

The US definatly aren't favorites or anything. They are a few years away from being mentioned with Brazil, England, and Germany. But they are heading in the right direction and have a shot to make it to the final 4 I think. Someone mentioned Adu, and I know he's young, but everyone knows he's going to be a player for the US. Why not send him over in 06? Experience is never a bad thing.

With Soccer getting bigger in the United States, it won't be long til some of the really good athletes that have been excelling in other sports in the United States start excelling in the Soccer. Its just a matter of time. Its still somewhat of a niche sport here but its really close to becoming the 4th big sport IMO. Even when the NHL returns, I think the MLS is pretty close to claiming that spot.

I think Oliver Kahn (the German keeper) had a lot more to do with the loss vs. Germany than ball handling in '02, but that's just my opinion...

Agreed on the US chances...there's always a possibility of a win, but I think the odds will start getting even better for the 2010 Cup (when it's in South Africa)...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

June 7th Matchday Preview (1 game)

Can qualify-None

Big games:

Peru vs. Uruguay-Both coming off disappointing results. Peru can pull themselves back into the running for the last spot or qualifying spot with a win. Uruguay needs to get back on track.

Someone mentioned Adu, and I know he's young, but everyone knows he's going to be a player for the US. Why not send him over in 06? Experience is never a bad thing.

Adu's currently getting time with the US U-20 side, who are going to be playing in the World U-20 Championships in the Netherlands. There are many that see that team as a legitimate contender in that tournament.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

June 8th Matchday Preview:

(4 games in Asia, 13 games in Europe, 3 games in North America, and 4 games in South America)

Can qualify: Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Iran, Japan, Brazil, Argentina

Big games:

Kuwait vs. South Korea-A South Korea win clinches a berth. A Kuwait win ties them with South Korea for 2nd. A draw keeps South Korea 3 points up with 1 game to go.

Belarus vs. Scotland-A win by either of them puts them lifts them into the Group 5 race

Spain vs. Bosnia- A Spanish win or draw gives them first in the group. A win by Bosnia puts them just 3 points back.

Greece vs. Ukraine- A win by Greece puts them 2 points behind Ukraine for first in Group 2. A win by Ukraine puts them 8 points clear of Greece, and at least 7 points up over 2nd, putting them on the edge of qualification.

Estonia vs. Portugal- Make or break for Estonia. A win puts them 3 points back. A loss all but eliminates them.

Costa Rica vs. Guatemala- Both in need of a win. With Trinidad & Tobago likely to lose vs. Mexico, a win here by either of them puts them 3 points up for the last qualifying spot halfway through.

Brazil vs. Argentina-Winner qualifies.

Also, the Netherlands game will be on Fox Soccer Channel, and so will Belarus-Scotland at 2 EST (but I think the Scotland game is on tape delay later), and they'll be repeated throughout the day.

Add Saudi Arabia and South Korea to the list of ins, with both winning.

Bahrain will playoff against Uzbekistan or Kuwait.

Boys, I think this is the year CONCACAF gets 4 teams - I can't see any of those three making it.

LvZYtbZ.png

Add Saudi Arabia and South Korea to the list of ins, with both winning.

Bahrain will playoff against Uzbekistan or Kuwait.

Boys, I think this is the year CONCACAF gets 4 teams - I can't see any of those three making it.

Agreed. I would think it'd be one of Costa Rica or Guatemala finishing fourth in CONCACAF.

It's nice to see Ukraine and Switzerland in first place in their respective group :)

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!

Me, da Swiss!!! :D

Ah, Switzerland already played in some past World Cups... but Ukraine never was in any World Cup.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

June 8th Matchday Recap

Asia

*North Korea vs. Japan 0:2-Japan clinches a berth in this closed door match moved to Thailand.

*Saudi Arabia vs. Uzbekistan 3:0-Saudi Arabia clinches

*Kuwait vs. South Korea 0:4- South Korea clinches

*Iran vs. Bahrain 1:0- Iran clinches, but Bahrain clinches 3rd in the Group, meaning they will play Kuwait or Uzbekistan in the 5th place playoff

Europe

*Kazakhstan vs. Turkey 0:6-Turkey rout sends them to second in Group 2

*Finland vs. Netherlands 0:4- Netherlands rout to keep top position in Group 1. Finland is on the brink of elimination.

*Belarus vs. Scotland 0:0- Scoreless draw helps both in short run, but might hurt in long run.

*Spain vs. Bosnia 1:1- Bosnia was minutes away from pulling the upset, but Spain evened it in second half injury time

*Greece vs. Ukraine 0:1-Late goal by Ukraine puts them on the verge of clinching. Greece in a little bit of trouble.

*Romania vs. Armenia 3:0- Romania trying to pull themselves back in it

*Denmark vs. Albania 3:1- Denmark back in 2nd place Group 2 race, 4 points back with a game in hand.

*Estonia vs. Portugal 0:1- Portugal keeps Group 3 lead. Estonia just about eliminated

*Czech Republic vs. Macedonia 6:1-Czech Republic keeping on Netherlands? heels. Macedonia eliminated. Jan Koller had 4 goals.

*Latvia vs. Liechtenstein 1:0-Early goal puts Latvia back in Group 3 race, and eliminates Liechtenstein

*Iceland vs. Malta 4:1-Group 8 cellar battle. Iceland salvages some points.

*Faroe Islands vs. Ireland 0:2-Ireland jumps to Group 4 lead. Faroe Islands just about done

*Luxembourg vs. Slovakia 0:4- Slovakia stays in 2nd place in Group 3.

North America

*Costa Rica vs. Guatemala 3:2-Second half injury time goal avoids the draw and gives Costa Rica three big points.

*Panama vs. USA 0:3- USA sitting pretty with 4 wins halfway through with 3 home games left.

*Mexico vs. Trinidad & Tobago 2:0- Mexico looking good.

South America

*Argentina vs. Brazil 3:1- Argentina clinches berth in ?world-class friendly? as Brazil coach puts it. Brazil also just about qualified.

*Chile vs. Venezuela 2:1-Chile picks up some needed points, and is tied for 5th. Venezuela in a lot of trouble.

Colombia vs. Ecuador 3:0- Colombia tied for 5th. Ecuador is back close to the pack now.

Paraguay vs. Bolivia 4:1-Paraguay picks up 3 big points to stay in the 4th and final automatic spot.

Qualified today:

Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Iran, Japan, Argentina

He he he... I live in Argentina and when the national team beat Brazil, there was joy!

It's like a Red Sox - Yankee rivalry, perhaps more bitter and passional than the baseball stuff...

As result, today here is a graphic joke against the Brazilians...

brasilargentino5yc.gif

It emules the Argentinian colors in the Brazil's flag... inside the usual Brazilian motto in Portuguese "Ordem e Progresso" was reemplazed with a sentence in Castilian "Argentina nos bailó" (Argentina made us dance). XD

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived