Favorite Defunct Uniforms

OnWis97

OK here's my list:

NFL Helmet: St. Louis Cardinals (Arizona), simple, distinctive, historic, how can you go wrong?

NFL Jersey: Rams. The Super Bowl XIV and XXXIV jerseys were classics.

NFL Jersey and Helmet: Buffalo Bills 1984-2002. The best set I've ever seen! Red helmet, blue jerseys, the red white and blue combo was unique and simple within itself. Until they went too far and "tweaked" it up a bit.

MLB Cap: The orange Astros caps. I always loved those. I have one myself.

MLB Jersey: 1994-1999 Brewers. The font on the jerseys was my inspiration for my Montreal Dragons' fantasy baseball team. Expos (any uniform) get special mention here. I also loved the White Sox 1976-1981 jerseys with the flannel, maybe I'm alone on this one.

NHL Jersey: Nordiques! Need I say more?

NBA Jersey: The old blue Orlando Magic jerseys. Got a Anfernee Hardaway jersey in that colour.

CFL Jersey and Helmet: Alouettes 1975-1981! A classic that still inhibits their current ones.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was always partial to this Cubs jersey:

CU80R22_W.jpg

I started collecting baseball cards in the summer of 1982 as a kid, and this style of jersey was on almost every Cubs card, so it has kind of stuck in my head.

Also, with Maddux's recent change to the blue alt's for road games, I'm going to add this to my list as well:

pMLB2-1826270dt.jpg

Moose

I'll second the motion to bring back the circa 1992 and 1993 Toronto Blue Jays uniforms.

I'd also like to see the Philadelphia Flyers go back to their orange road jerseys, rather than the black ones they use now that were originally a third:

lindros_phi_tall.jpg

Plus the Minnesota North Stars and the early-90s Pittsburgh Penguins.

I have to admit these come from my youth:

MLB - Early 80s Expos, both home and away. Tri-color hat, racing stripes.

NFL - 79-83 Chargers, good shade of blue, lightning bolt on the pants. I wore a fouts jersey to school back then.

College BB- DePaul Blue Demons with the red white and blue horizontal stripes down the side and DePaul on the bottom of the jersey front.

Hockey - Indianapolis Racers, their final uni.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

i'm suprised to find that the chi sox unis i like so much apparently didnt exist according to sportslogos.net. they brought them out in '87, i believe. it was when sports illustrated had a baseball preview with all the hats on the cover. a ton of teams went throwback that year. the sox went "original" retro. they were great. be on the lookout for a picture

Yeah... sorry we haven't made every uniform in the history of the world, but we're working on it :rolleyes:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

the long thin line...

Orlando Thunder

84 AZ Wranglers

NY CityHawks

Iowa Barnstormers

Oklahoma Wranglers

Houston Thunderbears

Orlando Predators jerseys/pants, pre-NBC deal (I liked the slashed numbers, okay?)

Dallas Desperados blue/black homes (as they've gone Cowboys on us)

Houston Oilers

late 90s Milwaukee Wave

original Columbus Crew

95-97 Freo Dockers road

97 London Monarchs

98 Rhein Fire

mid 90s Bucks alt

94-96 Cubs road (yeah, the Cuba one)

mid-90s Tigers road hat

Magic T-Mac era unis

95-99 Patriots

90s Phoenix Roadrunners

97 Mets road BP

Dodgers alternate blue

Juventus pink change shirt

Cubs mid-80s road blue

Cardinals late 90s BP

AZ Cards early 90s road jerseys

Red Sox white hat

Orioles, Pirates and Royals gray hats

95 Wisconsin double W jersey

Michigan's recently dumped road jerseys

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

the long thin line...

Orlando Thunder

97 London Monarchs

Magic T-Mac era unis

Oh yeah baby...

Loved those Thunder Jerseys...have to admit...I have a Scott Mitchell #19 from their final game they ever played.... :grin:

The London Monarchs with no white were totally cool....

On a WLAF note, I also liked the knights with their gold/silver/black thing between the helmet/jersey, but it was not used often enough.....

The Magic blue with black pinstripes were awesome!

Hmmmm...let's see - who else:

Bucs creamsicle orange was easy to identify from 2 miles away

Also liked the TB Bandits (USFL) Red/Grey combo (Spurrierball anyone??)

Love the Florida Gators Orange jerseys, but good thing they are gone now....

San Di-e-go Su-per Chargers

Original TB Lightning jerseys with the "paint brush" numbers....

Have to admit, the Vikings gold alternate jersey was interesting...kinda cool

Like the Rams alternate gold too

maybe more if I think of them...

on the down side: Anybody remember that awful 49ers "one day" helmet??? :devil:

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I LOVED Bucco Bruce and the orange Buccanneers scheme.

I never understood why it was considered "wimpy", since powerhouse college football programs like Clemson and Tennessee play in similar colors...

The current Tampa Bay scheme/logo is just too generic. Very bad, very boring.

I never understood why it was considered "wimpy", since powerhouse college football programs like Clemson and Tennessee play in similar colors...

Hey, I like the new color scheme :P

Besides, it sure beats the orange and green idea that was rumored once. (Think the original orange but with green instead of red trim....ewwwwwww.)

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

i think you just answered your own question (though the Bucs' old orange was much closer to UT's than to Clemson's)...Tennessee football is a powerhouse, hence their oranges are a sign of pride. the Buccos were losers for most of the time they wore orange, and Mike Ditka said it best when he called em the Pastel Patsies.

i wouldn't really call pewter and red generic though, I can't name anybody else that uses that scheme, never mind anybody else that uses pewter.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I dont care what anyone says about Purple Pants, they look sharp. And the Striped sleeves (real ones, not the crap that pass for them today) are awesome. Drawings dont do them justice, but couldn't find any photos.

Minnesota62.gif

metslogo_215.gif

Besides, it sure beats the orange and green idea that was rumored once. (Think the original orange but with green instead of red trim....ewwwwwww.)

I don't recall any orange and green rumors, but I do recall that in 1991 the team had decided to change to a black and gold color scheme but never followed through on it. The color change was reported on - of all places - Paul Harvey News. That was the last I heard about it and I can't seem to find any further information about it on the web. Does anyone out there recall anything about a proposed change to black and gold, and if so, why didn't it happen?

Getting back to the original topic, I am a huge fan of the original Oakland Seals sweaters as well as the original San Jose Sharks sweaters, the latter of which I am pleased to say I own.

Archived