Spurs Court

HappyBrownie13

That would be odd if the Heat would've advanced.

I don't think it's to commemorate the Spurs' title history. Consider:

1. If they're calling attention to their recent title history, they won 2 years ago, while their Finals opponent is the current defending champion. Kinds takes the thrust out of that boast.

2. If they're calling attention to their franchise's championship past, they've won 2 NBA titles, while their Finals opponent has won 3. Again, takes the sting out of things if it's a taunt directed at the Pistons.

It's probably an idea from NBA Central Command. And I actually like it, even though the trend from a decade ago of jamming as much crap on your floor made me cringe.

It's an NBA thing, the Spurs aren't taunting us. They are really working on identification of the trophy.

spikes.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is pretty cool, but the trophy should extend inside the jump circle so that the ball doesn't look so far shifted to the left of the base.

But the ball is shifted to the left of the base on the actual trophy.

nhl-obrientrophy.jpg

Yeah, I realize that, but the way the trophy is painted on the floor it looks like two seperate objects, not one object witn an off-center top. Seeing it on TV and not just in the thread only reinforced my feelings. Either way I still like the idea.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That would be odd if the Heat would've advanced.

I don't think it's to commemorate the Spurs' title history. Consider:

1. If they're calling attention to their recent title history, they won 2 years ago, while their Finals opponent is the current defending champion. Kinds takes the thrust out of that boast.

2. If they're calling attention to their franchise's championship past, they've won 2 NBA titles, while their Finals opponent has won 3. Again, takes the sting out of things if it's a taunt directed at the Pistons.

It's probably an idea from NBA Central Command. And I actually like it, even though the trend from a decade ago of jamming as much crap on your floor made me cringe.

Also, with the Heat logo at center court, the "ball" of the logo wouldn't have worked at all. It would have been covered up.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

it certainly beats the usual graphic on court marking the finals that they have used for the last 10 or 15 years. IMHO

I don't know what you're talking about because they've never used something for that long.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I think this is a great marketing idea for the NBA. They are really trying to "advertise" the trophy, with the call in radio tv ads and what not. It is one of the more obscure trophys too. The NHL has the Stanley Cup and the NFL has the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and for the most part the general public knows them. But not very many people could tell you what name of the NBA's trophy is. (Larry O'Brien Trophy)

Isn't it frustrating as a hockey fan to watch the NBA market "the Larry O'Brien trophy" in the exact fashion that the NHL should be marketing the Stanley Cup?!? Drives me up a wall.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Honestly, this ticked me off. It sounds desperate. The thing I like about the Stanley Cup, NBA Finals, and World Series is that all they do is just add a little graphic on the playing surface and then a little emblem on the uniform. If you turn it on, it looks like a regular game, but with one big difference, the atmosphere, and you feel it. I love that. This is like "HEY EVERYONE....ITS THE NBA FINALS!!! YOU SHOULD WATCH!!! LOOK ITS FOR A TROPHY, WE EVEN PUT IT AT CENTER COURT, SO ITS AN IMPORTANT GAME!!!" Honestly, it reminded me of the early Super Bowls (such as Super Bowl 3) when they put the Lombardi Trophy at midfield. I can understand back then, since it was still new. Even now the Super Bowl changes the field graphics, but its in a neutral stadium, and its not a distraction. If they wanted to profile the trophy, they shoulda put it along the endlines, where the PLAYOFFS logo usually is. Kinda like the old Finals logos, but without the type, not a huge one at center court. Or at least have the center circle as the ball of the trophy.

Small semi-off-topic rant:

It's Final, not Finals. While the NBA may have the trademark on NBA Finals, it is grammatically incorrect. There is only one championship series, not two like in the conference finals or four during the quarterfinals. So annoying.

Tomato suit on. Continue thread.

As to the the court, looks tacky imo.

Detroit's looks much better because there's no missing piece of the trophy like how in S.A. the trophy doesn't appear inside the actual jump circle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived