Question: Altering Jerseys

aykay

I have a question, and hopefully some people on this board could point me in the right direction. I have a Mitchell & Ness 1972 Bob Griese Dolphins throwback.

mn_griese.jpg

It's size 52 and it is way too long on me. I often tuck it in, or take some saftey pins to shorten it when I wear it. Does anyone know if there are any tailors that specialize in working with jerseys in the Maryland area? I paid a nice amount of money for this jersey and I don't want it ruined during the altering process. I would like to have it shortened by about 6 - 7", but I also want the tags reapplied on the lower left section of the jersey, as well as maintaining the same exact cut with the two inserts (don't know if this is the correct term) on the sides. Thanks to anyone that can help.

most dry cleaners can alter your clothing to how you like it. I deal with a local to bring in the sides of jerseys that are to big and to shorten up my sleeves as well.

You should remove the tag yourself and have them reapply it after they complete altering the uniform. It'll save you a few $$ so it's worth it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

You could also check with the equipment manager at the University of Maryland and see what they do for jersey repairs and reconditioning. If your jersey is 100% accurate it should be nylon Pro-mesh. The Dolphins shirts of that era were made by SandKnit of Berlin, Wisc. and Sand first introduced the Pro-mesh fabric. :P

As long as your jersey is a standard color, matching the threads won't be a problem. I'm taking in a Jacksonville Jaguars jersey to get altered. I may have to track down the proper thread myself.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived