Trying to get back into the Game

ShaftDu

hey everyone,

Allow me to introduce myself with my background. I am a gradute of a BS in Art Studio from JMU. I finished there around '99. I was highly interested in getting into Graphic Design. Here is my problem. I only took the basic classes. Which was computer graphics/typography. Now, I didn't go through with learning the upper levels of graphic design because at the time I was interested in Animation. So I didn't make a portfolio. Infact, my typography instructor was the hardest SOB. But looking back, she was tough but fair.

I had two problems back then. One was that I was lazy. Being in school, I couldn't wait for friday. Women everywhere! And the second, was that I have crazy ideas and sometime I am over the top.

If you bear with me I do have an interesting story from that class. I was pulling an C+ average in there. There was a lot more talented and hardcore people in there. And at that point, I was like I would rather study animation. But I did something in there that even surpised the professor. Every semester, she has this assignment a week before finals where you show up to class and she gives out an project that you must turn in within 3 hours. This the same grade for a project that took 4 weeks mind you. So I scroll in. She give the assignment. And so I went to another part of the building and went on illustrator and whip something up. I thought it was okay but nothing special. Then I went to Kinkos and got a color print out. I then show up back to class where everyone was in horror and afraid. I then went into her office and turned it in. And she said this was the best thing I did ALL SEMESTER and mind you I did it within a hour. She give me a A+. WHOA!!!!!

anyhoo, i know i have the talent for this stuff

my question, how do you get back into the game after 6 years? How do you make a portifolio? Where is the starting point?

any links to any site would be helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Archived