NASL

benign

In 1967 the Wolverhampton Wanderers from England played in the NPSL as the LA Wolves. The team was owned by Jack Kent Cooke of Lakers, Kings, LA Forum and later Redskins fame. In fact the whole NPSL (Detroit Cougars, Pittsburgh Phantoms were two more) was intact English First Division teams. Stoke City were the Cleveland Stokers. I used to know who the other English clubs were but have now forgotten. Does anyone else remember who made up some of the other teams? :blink:

No, I did not know that. But I do have an autograph photo of the 70's New York Cosmos team - Pele, Beckenbauer etc... that shows how universal a large cash flow can make a league.

Anyone got a large ( high'ish quality ) Tampa Bay Rowdies logo image - URL or postable pic ?

This usually, is the best that it gets... http://www.logoserver.com/NASL.html

In 1967 the Wolverhampton Wanderers from England played in the NPSL as the LA Wolves. The team was owned by Jack Kent Cooke of Lakers, Kings, LA Forum and later Redskins fame. In fact the whole NPSL (Detroit Cougars, Pittsburgh Phantoms were two more) was intact English First Division teams. Stoke City were the Cleveland Stokers. I used to know who the other English clubs were but have now forgotten. Does anyone else remember who made up some of the other teams? :blink:

:blink: English teams in America :therock: Im pretty confused.

signature.png

Wow. Haven't thought about the NASL in years.

Yeah, the NPSL and USA (United Soccer Association) both launched in 1967. The USA recruited natives, while the NPSL took entire british teams across the ocean to try and colonize America soccer-wise.

After one year the NPSL pretty much gave up the ghost, and the USA absorbed what was left of it and reorganized as the North American Soccer League.

nav-logo.png

Wow its homer nite for me :P Loved the Rowdies growing up...Rodney Marsh, Winston DuBose, Mike Connell,Derek Smethhurst, Wes McLeod, Steve Wegerle.....havent thought about them in years! My 2nd favorite logo and uni from the league was the L.A. Aztecs, which I think would still hold up today....the lamest had to be the Minnesota Kicks...loved Tulsa's.....aw heck lemme see if I can name em all....(Hijack Alert!)

Rowdies

NY Cosmos

Ft Lauderdale/Minnesota Strikers

Minnesota Kicks

Miami Toros

Atlanta Chiefs

Dallas Tornado

Houston Hurricane

St Louis Stars

Chicago Sting

New England/Jacksonville Teamen

Philadelphia Atoms

Philadelphia Fury

Washington Diplomats

Rochester Lancers

Connecticuit Bicentennials

Boston Minute Men

Colorado Caribous

Seattle Sounders

Portland Timbers

Oakland Stompers

LA Aztecs

San Diego Sockers

San Jose Earthquakes

Las Vegas Quicksilvers

Team Hawaii

Vancouver Whitecaps

Edmonton Drillers

Tulsa Roughnecks

Calgary Boomers

California Surf

Toronto Metros -Croatia...never understood that)

Le Manic de Montreal

Toronto Blizzard

Detroit Express

Memphis Rogues

and these I'm unsure if there were NASL teams in these cities...

Cleveland

Cincinnati (Comets?)

Baltimore

San Francisco

Kansas City

What else did I miss?

Contract this...."

251799582_m.jpg

Wow its homer nite for me  :P  Loved the Rowdies growing up...Rodney Marsh, Winston DuBose, Mike Connell,Derek Smethhurst, Wes McLeod, Steve Wegerle.....havent thought about them in years! My 2nd favorite logo and uni from the league was the L.A. Aztecs, which I think would still hold up today....the lamest had to be the Minnesota Kicks...loved Tulsa's.....aw heck lemme see if I can name em all....(Hijack Alert!)

Rowdies

NY Cosmos

and these I'm unsure if there were NASL teams in these cities...

Cincinnati (Comets?)

What else did I miss?

I was a big Rowdies fan also. My favs were Rodney Marsh and Derek Smethhurst and Oscar Fabiani. I saw Smethhurst in an NFL pre-season game in 1977 playing for the Buccaneers against the Cincinnati Bengals. Well, he was a better soccer player than a placekicker. :P He was wearing #12 for the Bucs like he did for the Rowdies.

Cincinnati did have an outdoor soccer team, the Comets, but they weren't in the NASL. *I think* they played in the ASL. But not exactly sure.

Cincinnati Comets-American Soccer League II 1972-75

Cincinnati Kids- Major Indoor Soccer League I 1978

Cincinnati Cheetahs-US InterRegional Soccer League 1992-93

Cincinnati Leopards-US InterRegional Soccer League 1995

Cincinnati Silverbacks- National Professional Soccer League 1996-98

Cincinnati RiverHawks- United Soccer League 1999-04

Cincinnati LadyHawks-United Soccer Womens League 1999-pre

Cincinnati Excite-American Indoor Soccer League 2004-pre

Cincinnati Kings-USL 2005-pre

So no NASL team for Cincinnati

Signature intentionally left blank

Actually, the Los Angeles Wolves played in the USSF-sanctioned United Soccer Association in 1967. The United Soccer Association merged with the "renegade" National Professional Soccer League in time for the 1968 season. The resulting circuit was dubbed the North American Soccer League.

The United Soccer Association's teams (and the foreign sides that comprised them) were:

Eastern Division

Boston Rovers (Shamrock Rovers - Ireland)

Cleveland Stokers (Stoke City - England)

Detroit Cougars (Glentoran - Northern Ireland)

New York Skyliners (Cerro - Uruguay)

Toronto City (Hibernian - Scotland)

Washington Whips (Aberdeen - Scotland)

Western Division

Chicago Mustangs (Cagliari - Italy)

Dallas Tornado (Dundee United - Scotland)

Houston Stars (Bangu - Brazil)

Los Angeles Wolves (Wolverhampton Wanderers - England)

San Francisco Gales (ADO Den Haag - the Netherlands)

Vancouver Royal Canadians ( Sunderland - England)

Cincinnati Comets-American Soccer League II 1972-75

Cincinnati Kids- Major Indoor Soccer League I 1978

Cincinnati Cheetahs-US InterRegional Soccer League 1992-93

Cincinnati Leopards-US InterRegional Soccer League 1995

Cincinnati Silverbacks- National Professional Soccer League 1996-98

Cincinnati RiverHawks- United Soccer League 1999-04

Cincinnati LadyHawks-United Soccer Womens League 1999-pre

Cincinnati Excite-American Indoor Soccer League 2004-pre

Cincinnati Kings-USL 2005-pre

So no NASL team for Cincinnati

The Kids had some great unis and killer logo. Pete Rose owned part of that tem.

I don't remember the Excite or the Leopards. I don't think I have ever heard of them. I guess that one slipped by. Did they play out at Kings Island where the old College Football HoF was?

Dont know where the Leopards played. The Excite are part of a four team league. They had just about no media coverage what so ever. I believe they play at a TriCounty Sports complex or something like that. They lossed in the Championship game to the Michigan Border Stars

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived