MLB Turn ahead the clock jerseys

DawgPacPBH

My best guess is that teams will not actually go to those uniforms in the future. The NBA learned the hard way that a big visual presence of logos on uniforms was not a good idea. People can appreciate more color on the uniforms, but other than that, there was nothing to make you go out and buy those jerseys.

The future is now, so it makes you wonder why teams didn't go ahead and switch to the futuristic uniforms, knowing they were going to do it in 20 or so years anyway. Also, it would seem to me baseball teams would update their logos in the future rather than slap the current ones on a shirt. In any event, the elimination of the TATC jersey is a good end to a horrific two months in MLB history.

In seriousness, I think the uniforms of the future will be different, but not in the contrived way the TATC unis looked. As has happened in uniform evolution in the past, I think the new looks will be based on new materials/manufacturing methods that fabrics of the future have. The move to double knit in the '70' allowed more colors, colored waistbands, etc. Also, new ways of constructing sleeves allowed them to be different (i.e. the Braves and Padres colored raglans). As far as football goes, jersey construction is much more complicated and, for better or worse, it has led to designs like what we see with the Bills. I am sure there will be more innovation in the future and the designs will follow suit (pardon the pun).

LT

Those were horrible. I remember down here in Florida they had inflatable aliens in the seats. Probably since humans wouldnt sit there seeing how awful the Marlins were then

You sure they weren't used to reduce the glare from the coral-colored seats? (Another post for another board for another time...)

So what teams did and didn't Turn Ahead the Clock? Those have to go down with the ChiSox-in-short-pants as the biggest fashion faux-pas in MLB history.

I think it's easier to list the teams that didn't participate than those that did:

* New York Yankees (when asked if the Yankees were wearing future unies for this promotion, Steinbrenner reportedly said, "We are.")

* Detroit Tigers

* Boston Red Sox (though they were to participate, the uniforms didn't arrive to Fenway in time, probably same for the Tigers)

* Toronto Blue Jays

I'm also pretty sure that besides the teams already mentioned, Oakland participated (I remember seeing the cap at the 1999 ASG Fan Fest in Boston, can't remember what the unies looked like).

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived