Sabres unveil new/old blue and gold jerseys

Sabrejeff

Originally they were the Buffalo Jr. Sabres in 1975 but since then they have been the Niagara Scenics and the Buffalo Lightning.

X00179_9.JPG

Buffalo Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn could offer little more than a shrug when asked why it took so long.

"You know what? There's no good answer for that," Quinn said. "Let's face it: This isn't a huge thing for us to do. We should've been doing this a long time ago."

The NHL franchise Tuesday announced a partnership with the Buffalo Junior Sabres.

The Junior Sabres, which went by that nickname when they were founded in 1975, have been called a couple of different things in the past two decades, while developing more than 300 college players and 17 NHL draft picks, including Kevyn Adams, Jeff Farkas, Brian Gionta, Todd Marchant and Aaron Miller.

They were known as the Niagara Scenics and most recently the Buffalo Lightning. But now they've returned to the most comfortable - and sensible - name of all.

Instead of a logo and colors taken from a team in Tampa, Fla., the Junior Sabres will wear the big club's familiar blue-and-gold style sweaters.

"It's an agreement we've been looking forward to for quite some time now," Quinn said.

The Sabres will outfit the Ontario Provincial Junior "A" Hockey League team with uniforms, sweatsuits and gym bags and host a pair of games at HSBC Arena.

It costs about $3,000 a year in equipment, ice time and travel expenses to play for the Junior Sabres.

Assistant General Manager David Braunstein and coach Matt English said they don't anticipate synergy will lower that price tag, but both were hopeful the Sabres' influence could attract sponsorship dollars.

"The name alone will help us tremendously," English said. "Maybe being known as the Junior Sabres will bring potential sponsors. That's where the cost factor can help us."

The partnership also could help retain some of the young talent that seems to perpetually seep out of Western New York. Top teen players such as South Buffalo's Tim Kennedy and Orchard Park's Nick Schaus have been lured away by the United States Hockey League rather than remain in the area.

"It allows some kids to stay at home and play," Braunstein said. "We lose probably five or six kids a year that go elsewhere to play because they think there are other opportunities. We believe this'll solidify the opportunity to stay at home and play for a team they've grown up with."

The Sabres' front office has made significant steps in reaching out to community hockey in recent years. The Sabres this spring unveiled the Bowman Cup, a pair of exhibition games pitting top Buffalo and Rochester teens.

For Quinn it's a matter of propagating civic hockey pride in a region that has failed to develop its fair share of NHL players.

"If you look at the Boston Bruins," Quinn said, "they always had a lot of Massachusetts kids on their team, and they played hard and they were competitive as hell, and then when those players went to other teams they weren't always as good. I always felt it was because they were playing in their hometown.

"My personal dream is someday soon we have three or four Western New York kids on the Sabres and we win the Stanley Cup. I don't think there's any reason Western New York kids can't be at the top of Division I hockey, at the top of NHL prospect lists."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050622/1059087.asp

I'm a little confused...

Can someone tell me where in the state of New York is "Buffalo Junior?"

I've looked all over the map...can't find it. Is the whole damn town changing its name to "Buffalo Junior." And I dont see no "Buffalo Senior" either...that's discrimination against the elderly. :cursing:

Cant wait to see the "Buffalo Junior Bills" concept this spawns....

NYCdog.png

Why only the provincial junior 'A' level. They should try to get an OHL team. Well at least they are in the same division with a couple of Mississauga teams.

Hey, the team can be nicknamed Bu-Ju :)

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm a little confused...

Can someone tell me where in the state of New York is Buffalo Junior?

I've looked all over the map...can't find it. Is the whole damn town changing its name to Buffalo Junior.

Cant wit to see the Buffalo Junior Bills concept this spawns....

the junior sabres are probably a junior team in buffalo new york. So they're not the Buffalo Junior Sabres like Buffalo Junior is the city, they're like the Buffalo Jr. Sabres, meaning they're the Junior sabres of Buffalo.

spacer.png

I'm a little confused...

I've looked all over the map...can't find it. Is the whole damn town changing its name to Buffalo Junior.

the junior sabres are probably a junior team in buffalo new york. So they're not the Buffalo Junior Sabres like Buffalo Junior is the city, they're like the Buffalo Jr. Sabres, meaning they're the Junior sabres of Buffalo.

So what the hell is a Junior Sabre.....a BUTTER KNIFE!?!

NYCdog.png

I'm a little confused...

I want to hit you.

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

either thats a horrible stab at sarcasm or you are just stupid. after reading the previous post of yours i'd say the latter.

I'm a little confused...

I want to hit you.

No need to get all mad...Its called sarcasm.

NYCdog.png

either thats a horrible stab at sarcasm or you are just stupid. after reading the previous post of yours i'd say the latter.

Man, tough crowd....I'm not tryin to be funny any more here.....

NYCdog.png

I take it you are just taking a stab at Buffalo aren't you NYCdog? ^_^ Using a "Junior" moniker is nothing new in the minor hockey level

For example, there is the Toronto Jr. Canadiens http://www.jrcanadiens.org/home.htm

There was an OHL team called the Detroit Jr. Red Wings, they are now the Plymouth Whalers.

The Montreal Jr. Canadiens in the 60's and 70's were affiliated with the NHl team and they provided the team with their best players, I believe.

I saw, I came, I left.

Man, tough crowd....I'm not tryin to be funny any more here.....

Hmm, I could be sarcastic--but I won't...

I also like the Bu-Ju nickname--humorous!

And I'm glad it's not the NHL teams--I never like those unis--they managaed to somehow seem busy and boring at the same time-but mostly boring...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

it's about time. I remember hearing about the Junior Sabres on the news all the time

growing up in Bufftown. It always baffled me why they went away from it.

Maybe this is a omen to the big boys changing back someday (fingers crossed)

it's about time. I remember hearing about the Junior Sabres on the news all the time

growing up in Bufftown. It always baffled me why they went away from it.

Maybe this is a omen to the big boys changing back someday (fingers crossed)

I hope the big club changes from red, black and silver as well. However, I would like to see them go to navy, white and vegas gold similar to these concepts made by Celcius Design.

Sabres White

Sabres Blue

Ideally, I'd like to see a bit more white on the blue jerseys and only one shade of Vegas gold but you get the idea.

Logowise, I kind of like this "freshening" of the old Sabres' logo.

Sabres' Logo

I'm a little confused...

I want to hit you.

:P HA! HA! HA! HA! :D

I may be showing my intellectual level here, but these last two comments just friggin crack me up.

Classic. B)

HA! HA! HA! :D

(sorry, I just contain myself)

Archived