Washington Baseball

P.I.L.L.

Thanks for the constructive criticism... it seems like it'd be simple enough to get this one right, yet, I've gone back and forth w/ various fonts / thicknesses / colors, etc... quite frustrating...yet, I think it's substantially improved...

revised 7-31

931_dcunis.jpg

give up and start from scratch

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know bud, it still seems wrong to me, but the latest edition is an improvement.

Here is what i would change.

1. Small grey outline on the Letters has to go.

2. Outer grey circle isnt needed.

3. New custom font for the DC, one that ties in the stitches.

4. Find way to tie in stitches better, right now its just like the letters are slapped on top of them.

5. Get rid of outline on stitches.

6. Make sure the stitches don't go past the ball, it bleeds into the blue outline right now.

7. Make blue outline thicker, to match thickness of new custom font if you go that way.

8. Change the font on Washington, this one is hard to read and doesnt fit with the logo. Possibly make a whole font set for the logo and have Washington use the same font.

Better, but not there yet IMO.

A couple of things:

1. You're probably going to have to make the "D" and "C" taller than the baseball, at least a little bit. With the letters as thick as they are, you don't have a lot of white space on the baseball, and the overwhelming majority of a baseball is the white leather. Making the letters taller and thinner would make them stand out from the background formed by the baseball, and you wouldn't need such thick lettering, then have to put stitching over that. For the record, I think Josh is right - a custom font may be your best option.

2. The "Washington" script on the gray jersey. Hmmm... wrong element for the US nation's capital. Better suited for Berlin or Vienna. (Or Milwaukee.) Too Germanic for an all-American city.

3. Why is one jersey done in the red/white/blue motif, and the other in red and black? Again, for the nation's capital, red/white/blue seems far more obvious a choice.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

a (modified) Times New Roman seems to be fit Washington D.C., with all it's "Roman" (Greek) architecture... I'd previously made a "column" out of the D, but have since simplified...

so, what font would you suggest I work from (as a base) ?

as for the stitches... I'm working on different styles.

a (modified) Times New Roman seems to be fit Washington D.C., with all it's "Roman" (Greek) architecture... I'd previously made a "column" out of the D, but have since simplified...

so, what font would you suggest I work from (as a base) ?

as for the stitches... I'm working on different styles.

I would sit down and draw some out and then scan them in. Don't really need to go off of a certain font.

a (modified) Times New Roman seems to be fit Washington D.C.,

Ummmm. No. Times fits office memos and newspapers. It's too engrained everywhere else and doesn't "fit" any sports team.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Ummmm. No. Times fits office memos and newspapers. It's too engrained everywhere else and doesn't "fit" any sports team.

The Brewers would disagree, looking at their lettering and numbering...

Actually, I'm with you, Sterling. I have never used Times New Roman EVER, even on my MS Word documents. It's too ubiquitous, and overused. And I don't like it on the Brewers' uniforms - it DOES make me think of office memos. :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Ummmm.  No.  Times fits office memos and newspapers.  It's too engrained everywhere else and doesn't "fit" any sports team.

Actually, I'm with you, Sterling. I have never used Times New Roman EVER, even on my MS Word documents. It's too ubiquitous, and overused. And I don't like it on the Brewers' uniforms - it DOES make me think of office memos. :rolleyes:

Agreed.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

still a bit rough, but I think it's closer than before... again, thanks for the Constructive Criticism... note: I would put "Nationals" on the uniforms, but since the image is from my site and I've had some issues w/ MLBP...

updated: 08-02-05

You still need to lose the shading and blue outline on the baseball. Also I'd try and make the Script fonts match the logo lettering a little better (my only peeve with the National's current pretzel-W) so it looks like a unified package. It also still looks very corporate logo-ish.

Your script wordmarks just look too "prissy" to me (for lack of a better term). Why did you choose something that looks like that for your wordmarks? There has to be a reason. My point is, that font still isn't "beefy" enough, and if you try to make the font you're using look "beefy", you're going to lose that fine level of detail inherent in the font.

QPR%20Sig.png

Actually, I'm with you, Sterling. I have never used Times New Roman EVER, even on my MS Word documents. It's too ubiquitous, and overused. And I don't like it on the Brewers' uniforms - it DOES make me think of office memos

I don't like to ignore it when I'm mistaken. Clearly, I am here and withdraw the comment. I phrased it in a vague, clumsy and ultimately incorrect manner.

Lots of teams use fonts like this in some manner. Typically in lower case, or initials, or customized on some level to be unique to that team, that word, that particular use.

This just looked like it was plain old typed out in Word.

The new D & C are better, but still not substantial enough.

I appreciate all the effort that's gone into this......but I'm sort of......I dunno....tiring of it. Of trying to help out.

I think you've got to get braver with these and more willing to challenge your own opinions of what you think looks good and listen to feedback. Every designer has to listen to their own creative voice first, but it seems maybe you have a tough time NOT listening to it.

And please please please..........just post logo/wordmark revisions for now. These jerseys are just huge and merely shirts with writing at this point. Barely a concept. IF nothing else it would save space on the thread.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

The DC logo - hmm. Its close and yet it isn't. Looking at it, it seems like some major edits are still needed. However, I get the feeling that once you get this going in the right direction a lot will come together really quickly. I guess that is because I like the concept behind your design, just not the execution of it yet. Borrowing the portion of your letters for the seams is a solid idea IMO. Keep that idea. Just keep plugging away on how you depict it. One thing you may want to remember: it is against the rules to have a close depiction of a baseball on the uniform. Therefore you might want to ensure that you just "hint" at a baseball rather then try to render it too closely. Anyway, I think this logo will be the centerpiece to the identity, so just concentrate on making that a winner first. Then the look of it will drive your wordmark and your jersey design.

LT

For the most part, I've listened, and applied much of the constructive criticism offered... I've even tried it as a monotone, w/o stitches... but it just didn't work, and although the block type font seemed like an improvement, it wasn't (to me)... and also looked too similar to DC Shoe co.) So, I've gone back to a (further) "customized" version of a New Times Roman / Goudy font type... which complements the curves of the ball, and has a traditional feel.

Although it may be the general concensus to "never" use Times New Roman, I've looked at a plethora of fonts, including some of my own... and they just didn't work right... anyway, I may change it again...

• 2 weeks later...
The famous black and white image of a silhoutte of a vase/or two human faces.  It's an exercise in positive and negative space.   Have you seen that?  Well, it doesn't work if you put painted lillies on the vase, or give the faces eyebrows.

You've got to consciously pull back from your concept and strip it bare.  THen look at it, and strip it bare further....beyond your comfort level.

Thanks Sterling... Vitamind, ltravisjr,joshuamings,jpslapshot, and others. somehow, I've managed to simplify ~

ofcourse, NO logo will ever satisfy EVERYONE... or even most people... but I think these make the most of the concept.

Archived