LOGOLYMPIAD: Event 4

EVENT 4: Fantasy Team

Plenty of room to work within this one.

You?ll be putting together a complete package for this one. Design a primary logo, and either a secondary logo or wordmark, along with two uniform sets for a hockey team in Salt Lake City. You pick the name, colors, etc.

Deadline: Thursday, June 30th, 6:00 PM EDT

Submit entries to logolympiad@sbcglobal.net.

Do not post them here.

I'm getting tougher with following criteria. Make sure you're following the guidlines from the original rules thread.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

...so...does "in Salt Lake City" mean Salt Lake City must be part of the name? Like, must it be the Salt Lake City Nicknames? Or can we choose something like Utah Nicknames? Also, are we asuming this is a college team or a professional team? Or either?

Can I make a suggestion to the judges?

Eliminate any submission that has a hockey stick in it.

I understand that its hockey and that the stick is an integral part of the game, but does it have to be in virtually every team's logo?

It's hockey. There's a stick involved. We get it.

nav-logo.png

I understand that its hockey and that the stick is an integral part of the game, but does it have to be in virtually every team's logo?

but what if someone names their team the Salt Lake Sticks?

...so...does "in Salt Lake City" mean Salt Lake City must be part of the name? Like, must it be the Salt Lake City Nicknames? Or can we choose something like Utah Nicknames? Also, are we asuming this is a college team or a professional team? Or either?

Pro team.

You can use the city or state in the name.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

It's hockey.  There's a stick involved.  We get it.

Well, just put an image of Kate Moss.

EDIT: When you mean two different uniform sets, do you mean we should inlclude helmets, socks, pants?

I saw, I came, I left.

EDIT: When you mean two different uniform sets, do you mean we should inlclude helmets, socks, pants?

i'm sure he does, and I don't think including these things could possibly hurt your chances.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

i'm sure he does, and I don't think including these things could possibly hurt your chances.

What chances? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

If someone does that, then an exception can be made. Though what the hell someone could do with a name like that, I'd have no idea. :D

nav-logo.png

I agree that having the object of the sport in the logo is a tad lame (and the best logos come up with something better), but hockey logos are far better than some other sports when it comes to that.

Look at the other sports: at least 20 of the 30 nba teams have an easily discernable basketball in their logo, the mlb is a bit better with 12 of the 30 teams having an obvious baseball in their logo. Meanwhile only 6 NHL teams have sticks in their logos. The NFL, is the best with only 2 teams having an obvious football in their logo (guess which one!).

Just food for thought.

I agree that having the object of the sport in the logo is a tad lame (and the best logos come up with something better), but hockey logos are far better than some other sports when it comes to that.

Look at the other sports: at least 20 of the 30 nba teams have an easily discernable basketball in their logo, the mlb is a bit better with 12 of the 30 teams having an obvious baseball in their logo. Meanwhile only 6 NHL teams have sticks in their logos. The NFL, is the best with only 2 teams having an obvious football in their logo (guess which one!).

Just food for thought.

But then you are forgetting baseball teams with any other element of baseball in them (bats, diamonds, in the case of the old Brewers logo, gloves). Including alternate logos, I count 7 or 8 off the top of my head (Reds Running Man, Twins shaking hands over Minnesota, Orioles baseball diamond background, Pirates crossed bats, Yankees bat in the hat, Cardinals cardinal with bat, San Diego home plate, and possibly the Phillies diamond shaped outline if you want to count that.

And in football, there are the teams with helmets in their logos: Browns, Raiders, and Dolphins come to mind.

In basketball, you missed the hoop logos: Rockets, Nets, and Heat.

I personally don't mind reference to the sport in the logo. Otherwise, what is going to distinguish a logo as a "baseball" logo or a "hockey" logo. I saw a concept yesterday where somebody said "what makes this a baseball logo besides the word baseball in the title?" becuase it did not include and reference to the sport. Sure, there are more creative ways to do things that crossed bats or crossed hockey sticks, but I think you are better off having a logo. Of course I am by no means a professional logo designer. That is just my 2 cents.

Don't forget about the Jets and Bucs.

But seriously I think that a stick or puck should only be in a secondary logo.  Primary, it depends on the name I think.

This coming from a guy whose avatar and siganture feature a primary logo that has a stick and a puck. :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I was wondering, since Utah & Salt Lake are permitted names, would Rocky Mountain be as well? Since they do go through Utah.

Nick, my cat has jumped on my lap and is watching the cat video in your sig over and over... and meowing... it's pretty cute.

Just food for thought.

Look at minor league hockey sometime though. 80-90% of them have some reference to a stick or puck of some sort - and in many cases, it detracts from the team's overall look.

nav-logo.png

Look at the other sports:  at least 20 of the 30 nba teams have an easily discernable basketball in their logo, the mlb is a bit better with 12 of the 30 teams having an obvious baseball in their logo.  Meanwhile only 6 NHL teams have sticks in their logos.  The NFL, is the best with only 2 teams having an obvious football in their logo (guess which one!).

Just food for thought.

Look at minor league hockey sometime though. 80-90% of them have some reference to a stick or puck of some sort - and in many cases, it detracts from the team's overall look.

but I don't think that should be grounds for disqualification, maybe the judges will just think less highly of a logo with a stick in it.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Archived