USFL...An update

Telemundo219

We all know that the USFL had teams with the most ridiculous and out-of-this-world uniform concepts, which were very damn cool. But as I do, How would this teams look today if the league was still in existence??? So to all logo creators/uniform designers, I'm proposing a logo/uniform package contest for each former USFL team. No rewards...just for pride. A different team at once. At the end we can decided and view the USFl 2005-06 season (using our imagination).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

We all know that the USFL had teams with the most ridiculous and out-of-this-world uniform concepts, which were very damn cool.

Yep, the New Jersey Generals' had a very ridiculous uniform...

Even by the early to mid-80s standards, the USFL's threads were pretty conservative for the most part. Now the XFL, that's a different story :)

We all know that the USFL had teams with the most ridiculous and out-of-this-world uniform concepts, which were very damn cool.

You're thinking of the XFL or the Arena League...the USFL wasn't too different from the NFL. The only wild thing they did was put flames on the Wranglers' pants.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I have to agree with recent posters, for the most part the USFL was quite conservative (or professional if you want to consider it that way.) They did innovate a little with some designs:

Breakers helmet

Panthers helmet

Wranglers flame pants

But for the most part it was NFL comparable, helmets with logos on the side and sometimes 1-3 stripes across top, jerseys with sleeve stripes, pants with single or triple pant stripes. They didn't even go as far as the WFL 10 years earlier with odd color schemes (Magenta & Orange) or front facing helmet logos (San Antonio Wings). I think one of the reasons so many of us revere the memories of the USFL is that it was as close as we have ever seen to a second NFL, an NFL in the Spring, so that football season, real football, never ended.

I think the USFL was the best alternate football league, design wise. The uniforms were conservative but unique and trend-setting as well. In fact, I think they started trends that are more common today. The "sweeping" panther helmet logo design was new then but now we see it with Carolina, Jacksonville, etc. The Wrangler's pants were Arizona's unique way to follow up on the stripe details the S.D. Chargers pioneered. Personally, I think all the USFL uniforms were very tasteful. Now, if you want crazy uniforms, check out the WAFL/NFL-E sets with the fluorescent colors and oversized jersey logos...

LT

Archived