Honest Question for people who do concepts

jsrowe

I am very interested in how you guys do the concepts. I know you get the templates and then paint/draw/etc. over them, but I was wondering exactly which programs and techniques you guys use to do these? That goes for uniforms and logos. Are you just drawing these with paint brush by hand, or what?

That being said, I'd love to see some concepts of modified SEC football jerseys.

some guys are stuck with just paint, some are lucky enough to have Illustrator or something similar. I'm a couple steps down from the latter group, but my program does its job.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

You may get more response if this thread were in the general design forum area, and it may end up there, but I will jump in here.

I use Corel and have only been at it for a year. I have always liked drawing although it hasn't been a passion. Anyway, when I put together a package, I draw it freehand with a pencil and paper and once it is acceptable I scan it and import the scan into my software and trace it, color it, and add whatever detail it needs. For the uniforms, I get a vector template from the templates threads, import them into Corel, and away I go. The best example I can give is the concept my signature links to. That frog logo was drawn freehand with a pencil from various reference photos before anything else. I guess as far as software technique goes, you really gotta make bezier curves your friend and know how to use them. As an AutoCAD drafter by trade, beziers were completely foreign to me, but once I mastered them, it really opened the world up :).

Hope that is the kind of reply you were looking for and that it helps you a bit!

LT

Get Illustrator if you can.....you can get it anywhere, you just gotta look, friends, etc. Other than that, try and buy it, if youre into design and you know youre going to use it for more than just recreation thats the best thing out there, its worth the money for the whole Adobe CS package.

First thing I do is research! On YAHOO for images, history, the location, etc. Then when I have an idea I sketch either in Illustrator or on paper. Then you just need to know the Illustrator tools and get workin and tweakin, mostly with the pen tool. Then later add text once the image is close. Then I post it on here for further C&C and tweak it more in Illustrator.

I like to use fireworks as my primary program, but I will use around three others to help me achieve effects that I can not create using it; Illustrator, Photoshop, Photoimpact and even paint every once in a while. The thing is you have to have talent to make your ideas look good, the programs can only do so much.

I suffer from a very sexy learning disability..... sexlexia.

I'm one of the ones that doesn't use Illustrator (basically, I can't afford it and none of my friends has it)....I use an Illustrator-type open source program called Sodipodi. It's a free download and it works pretty well (outside of one or two minor complaints, which I won't get into)...for making the concepts more web friendly, I import them from Sodipodi over into Photoshop and make the final few adjustments before I go ahead and show it off for the world to see :D

Everyone's got their own ways of creation...for the most part, I either draw it freehand right on the vector program or I do it in Paint first and then transfer it over to Sodipodi. If it's a landmark (say like the Brooklyn Bridge or the Spirit of Detroit statue or even the CN Tower), then I usually go over to Google, download a pic of the landmark in question and then trace it out...takes a little time, but it works pretty well..

I'll admit I'm still a rookie at this stuff (I only started REALLY doing concepts after Christmas), but I figure it's time to pay it forward for all the help I've gotten along the way :D

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived