An Alternative to M$ Paint

Broken Record

Has anyone tried a piece of software called "The Gimp"? It's a graphic design program with a lot more bells and whistles (layers, etc.) than Paint and it's free.

If you're on a budget and can't afford Illustrator or Photoshop, but you've outgrown Paint it might be worth a look. I downloaded it recently and just started playing around with it. There's a learning curve, but the price is right.

http://www.gimp.org/

I downloaded it and installed it before I bought the Corel Suite. I didn't get the time to dig into it very much but from what I saw and what others have said, it is practically Photoshop's equal and it can even use Photoshop filters. However, it is that it is not truly CYMK compatible yet, so it is perfect if you are a cash strapped web designer, but not if you intend on being in the printing field. For vector work, inkscape is free, as well as Zoner Draw 3 (an earlier version), and Sodipodi.

LT

I tried to figure out that program for a while and am somewhat familiar with photoshop; yet the program is not a direct equivalent function wise........

About a year ago I started a post asking for GIMP help, not a single post....... guess I should have put FREE in the title.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived