LOGOLYMPIAD VOTE: Event 4

When I sat down and looked at the list of nicknames of all the fantasy teams I was really disappointed for the most part. I know that this was a tough city/state to come up with a nickname for but that is probably why it was chosen. Here are some of my observations.

Teetotallers: With all the news about being nicknames needing to be politically correct with the whole questioning of "Indians", "Warriors", etc., why would you pick that name?

Squirrels & Seaguls: Can't really say I think of these animals when I hear Salt Lake or Utah (squirrels you could make a case for because of the widerness but it seems to me that you are trying to hard to have a Salt Lake S___).

Blue Flame: What exactly is it, a Jet? If so where's the cockpit.

Frost: I get it because it's hockey right, but come on my nephews could come up with better stuff that that.

Templars: Looks like you did some research and I really like it but doubt it would go over with the religious ties it has. (search on ask.com)

I am not casting any votes in this one because I could not give out all medals without revealing my submission.

W.I.B.- If you think that I have revealed my entry somehow you can disqualify it. I would rather get my point across to other designers than get a medal.

KUHawks.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gold: #4. The seagull is the state bird of Utah, after all.

Silver: #3. For some reason I just seem to like this design. Very nice touch using Smith and Young (I'm assuming you meant the Mormon leaders?)

Bronze: #2. Very nice looking sleeves and bottom striping!

LvZYtbZ.png

When I sat down and looked at the list of nicknames of all the fantasy teams I was really disappointed for the most part. I know that this was a tough city/state to come up with a nickname for but that is probably why it was chosen. Here are some of my observations.

Teetotallers: With all the news about being nicknames needing to be politically correct with the whole questioning of "Indians", "Warriors", etc., why would you pick that name?

Squirrels & Seaguls: Can't really say I think of these animals when I hear Salt Lake or Utah (squirrels you could make a case for because of the widerness but it seems to me that you are trying to hard to have a Salt Lake S___).

Frost: I get it because it's hockey right, but come on my nephews could come up with better stuff that that.

Templars: Looks like you did some research and I really like it but doubt it would go over with the religious ties it has. (search on ask.com)

I am not casting any votes in this one because I could not give out all medals without revealing my submission.

W.I.B.- If you think that I have revealed my entry somehow you can disqualify it. I would rather get my point across to other designers than get a medal.

Some flaws in your argument:

*The Sea Gull is the state bird of Utah, so that fits

*The Squirrels one is the Utah Squirrels, so I don't see how that was an attempt to throw in a S name

*The Blue Flame was a car that broke the land speed record on the Utah salt flats

*Utah gets pretty damn cold in the winder, so Frost works as well (and that's kind of a harsh comment)

*How is Teetotallers politically incorrect?

That aside, here's my votes:

Gold: 6- Love it

Silver: 11- Love everything except the font on the primary logo

Bronze: 9- Very original, and the colors go well together

VmWIn6B.png

I was hoping there would be a few more entries for this one. There are some interesting concepts here.

G- 6 - Best overall concept. Great name, logo and jerseys. Sure beats calling them the "bunny hills"

S- 3 - Not quite sold on the name, but I like the somewhat 'Western' theme to it. The number font can be hard to read.

B - 5 - I like colours and the font for this one.

I saw, I came, I left.

It's FANTASY team, where people take liberties and have fun with names, not the NHL...

You may want to learn what the meaning of Critique is, and hope that these contests stay anonymous, cos' you'll never get a vote with that kind of attitude...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I realize my early statement may have been a bit harse but I created my design under the assumption that it was to be designed like it could possibly be a future NHL or pro team. Also I really didn't know that the Seagul was the state bird, so to who ever did that concept I am sorry.

KUHawks.png

Being from Utah I really wanted to enter this contest but ran out of time.

Gold - #4 - best overall concept but the seagull needs some work

Silver - #6 - great primary logo but I am not a fan of the colors

Bronze - #11 - nice concept but not my favorite nickname

Being from Utah I really wanted to enter this contest but ran out of time.

Gold - #4 - best overall concept but the seagull needs some work

Silver - #6 - great primary logo but I am not a fan of the colors

Bronze - #11 - nice concept but not my favorite nickname

Wasn't any concept you actually liked ALL components of?

;)

@Frenchie_TO

I realize my early statement may have been a bit harse but I created my design under the assumption that it was to be designed like it could possibly be a future NHL or pro team. Also I really didn't know that the Seagul was the state bird, so to who ever did that concept I am sorry.

We all learn over time to balance your gut feelings (and in my case sarcasm) versus diplomacy and giving positive feedback...

As for the realism vs. fantasy, it can be looked at both ways...

I'm curious to see who the designers are now...

@Frenchie_TO

Archived