Nats win again...

omnivore

Forget the article. I read it wrong. Stupid me.

But..

Do they have staying power? People are saying they're gonna blow it, but I say that MLB wants them to win the division as pennance for '94 and to figure that if they do manage to win it, it'll raise the value of the team when they sell it this off-season.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Now remember this is all a biased Nats fan's opinion but here it goes:

Do they have staying power?

Yes and No.

It will be yes if they can continue play solid defense and getting just enough runs to win. However, if the Nats start losing at home I don't think the Nats will stay in the lead in the NL East. Although they've been red-hot at home they're under .500 on the road.

GM Jim Bowden has hinted however at possibly making some trades to get another bat and another starting pitcher which the Nats could use.

BOTTOMLINE: I think the Nats will take the division by 2 games.

I'm not sure if this answers your question but if you need anything elaborated on just give a shout.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

If they win it all this year, people in Montreal are gonna be pissed.

All 3,000 fans?!

ya that's what I was gonna say. Sucks for people who were actually fans of the Expos and supported the team and went to the games, but I think the rest won't care. Just like they didn't care enough to save their team in the first place. The nationals are a great story and I hope they stick around this year and take the division from the braves.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

More pissed than fans in Quebec City when the Nordiques moved to Colorado and won the Cup that very year?

Bah, fans in Quebec are used to it by now...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

More pissed than fans in Quebec City when the Nordiques moved to Colorado and won the Cup that very year?

Bah, fans in Quebec are used to it by now...

It just goes to show that businesses are more successful when they leave Quebec :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Now remember this is all a biased Nats fan's opinion but here it goes:
Do they have staying power?

Yes and No.

It will be yes if they can continue play solid defense and getting just enough runs to win. However, if the Nats start losing at home I don't think the Nats will stay in the lead in the NL East. Although they've been red-hot at home they're under .500 on the road.

GM Jim Bowden has hinted however at possibly making some trades to get another bat and another starting pitcher which the Nats could use.

BOTTOMLINE: I think the Nats will take the division by 2 games.

I'm not sure if this answers your question but if you need anything elaborated on just give a shout.

I think it's in baseball's long-term best interest for them to win, too.

So I think they'll make it work. Only the Braves will catch them. Florida won't ever get it going and Philly has proven they're falling on themselves. The Mets are a year away, I think.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I am anxiously awaiting this teams collapse

Because of the way MLB treated the Expos?

the way franks been workin the bullpen..it wont be for long. cordero just blew a save tonite. the key to their success has been their bullpen.....

It's a combination of several things...

One being that I supported this team (yes I was a dual Jays/Expos fan) for several years, and drove out to Montreal for several games a season from 1999-2004. It would be very annoying to see them enjoy playoff success for another set of fans.

When MLB owned this team they refused to put any money into it, they could not make any deadline deals that were not equal in terms of money... they couldn't even call-up minor leaguers in September.

It's very annoying to see this team allowed to spend spend spend the second they leave the city.

I understand they're trying to make the team look good to a potential owner, but couldn't they look good for a potential owner in Montreal too?

Nats fans will disagree, but I don't really care :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

One being that I supported this team (yes I was a dual Jays/Expos fan) for several years, and drove out to Montreal for several games a season from 1999-2004. It would be very annoying to see them enjoy playoff success for another set of fans.

When MLB owned this team they refused to put any money into it, they could not make any deadline deals that were not equal in terms of money... they couldn't even call-up minor leaguers in September.

It's very annoying to see this team allowed to spend spend spend the second they leave the city.

I understand they're trying to make the team look good to a potential owner, but couldn't they look good for a potential owner in Montreal too?

Chris, I completely agree.

That's part of my bittersweet feelings for this team. I love that DC has baseball again. I love a lot of the players and their "never say die" attitude and love that Frank Robinson, Jim Bowden and even Omar Minaya, are going to get their due (Omar already has..and was acclaimed before that, but finally got the elusive GM job he wanted prior) because of this.

But I basically think that MLB owners and the sham that is Bud Selig as commissioner, that their Red Sox/Marlins/Expos sale is still the most corrupt thing I've ever seen in major pro sports.

But I basically think that MLB owners and the sham that is Bud Selig as commissioner, that their Red Sox/Marlins/Expos sale is still the most corrupt thing I've ever seen in major pro sports.

Exhibits A and B: 2003 and 2004 World Series.....

I saw, I came, I left.

Exhibits A and B: 2003 and 2004 World Series.....

And quite possibly 2005.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

At least there are Nats fans. There sure weren't any Expos fans.

Nope, not a single one :rolleyes:

We'll see how many people show up at RFK once they build a roof on it, convert the field to astroturf, then sell off all their top players every season for 15 years.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Montreal lost support for baseball after the strike. They couldn't sell season tickets. They sold even fewer on game day. They played in a hellhole. They couldn't sell out games in Puerto Rico.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put much money in a team that wasn't going to profit. Even when Montreal had a winning record in 2003, fans didn't come out and support them. Washington, however, sold a few tons of season tickets, got many more walk-up sales, and promoted their team out the wazoo. With all the money coming in, they could afford to spend more than they could in Montreal. And it's pretty safe to say that Washington is a more-avid baseball city than Montreal.

Simply put....you can only spend the money you have. MLB players aren't too keen on accepting IOU's as forms of payment....

Archived